PDA

View Full Version : how to make enclosure for my subs -- help

u571
07-14-2002, 02:40 AM
I would just like to know of a site where I can learn to make my own enclosure for my 2 12s. I went to JL`s site but t really wasn`t that thorough. Help is appreciated, thanks.

-Bob

Malibu
07-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Try this one also:

www.teamrocs.com

Mike

mercedesfanatic
07-14-2002, 02:07 PM
Your speakers should have come with a book telling the maximum and minimum sealed and ported box sizes. Measure how much length width and depth you have in your vehicle, then to figure out the volume of what you measured multiply the length x width x depth and then divide by 1728. That shows the maximum space (volume) you have availiable for the box. Then tinker around with the length width and depth numbers until you get the box in the volume you want. (Which means you will lower the numbers you measured). Then to make a box you want to go to your hardware store and buy a sheet of mdf (medium density fiberboard). NOT PARTICLEBOARD!!! A lot of people won`t know what mdf is and try to sell you particle board. They are not the same thing. Then just cut out the box to the dimenstions, screw the pieces together to make the box, cut the holes out for the subs, and before you put them in if you are making a sealed box caulk all of the cracks. Now you have a box! Hope this helps.

hkross
07-14-2002, 11:25 PM
In my oppion It would be easer and maybe cheaper to buy a box. I tried to build my own box when I got my sub and it was difficult. I had no skills tho. Plus if you factor in the cost of the sealent, wood, port (if needed), terminal, and carpeting for looks. Also if you buy it there is probly a warranty. But that is my own oppion. But If you have the skills to build it . I think crutchfield has book. Good luck.

mercedesfanatic
07-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Iowan_Juggalo

In my oppion It would be easer and maybe cheaper to buy a box. I tried to build my own box when I got my sub and it was difficult. I had no skills tho. Plus if you factor in the cost of the sealent, wood, port (if needed), terminal, and carpeting for looks. Also if you buy it there is probly a warranty. But that is my own oppion. But If you have the skills to build it . I think crutchfield has book. Good luck.

Just to let you know the facts. A 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of mdf will run you 25 dollars. A slotted port will cost you nothing. A circle port will run you around 9 dollars (abs plastic pipe is one of the recommended pieces of material for a circle port). Tube of caulk for sealent 2 dollars. Terminal 7 dollars. Carpeting I`m not sure about because I haven`t carpeted mine yet, but I do know it is very cheap. I think you can carpet a whole Ford Explorer for 50 dollars. So I`m gonna say 15 dollars for carpeting, which I think is overestimating. So lets run through this again

mdf 25

port 9

sealent 2

terminal 7

carpeting 15

total 58

A half way decent quality 2 12in. box made by subzone would run you 100 dollars plus shipping. It`s not that hard to build a box. If you mess up you could still buy all of this over again and stay under a premade box price. Also I seriously doubt anyone has a premade box made especially for you subs cause I`ve never heard of them before.