PDA

View Full Version : Eagle One Vs. Meguiar`s

Ikabob
07-12-2002, 10:33 PM
I am new to detailing and I have a new car . I am going to wax it tomorrow. Someone told me that they liked Eagle One over Maguaiers. I didnt ask him what the difference was. What exactly is the difference in the 2 waxes? Also, does the Eagle on only come as a liquid wax called wet and shine? Or does Eagle One make another paste wax(hard)? Thank you.

imported_BretFraz
07-12-2002, 10:37 PM
How to respond...... well, both are mfr`s of car care products and offer a wide variety of excellent items. Many of us here have used both brands for years and find them to be of good quality at reasonable prices. And both have excellent national distribution so their products are easy to find in retail stores.

Your question is almost unanswerable as its too vague. So I will steer you towards their websites and you can peruse their wares at your leisure. Happy surfing.

www.eagleone.com

www.meguiars.com

Please note the correct spelling of Meguiar`s

Ikabob
07-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Ok...I guess you are right I was vague. I just really want to know does Eagle one look more shiney when finished...kind of wet shiney and does Meguiars (thank you) look deeper rich? Do some car colors look better with one vs the other? My car is Anthracite Blue. Does one last longer than the other. Is EOne only a liquid wax and is it Carnauba? Thanks.

Chuckmotor
07-12-2002, 11:00 PM
If you just want shiny, go to Wal-Mart (or anywhere, for that matter) and pick up a bottle of Meguiar`s Gold Class. Very shiny, but the downfalls are poor durability and if your car has swirls and is generally not in great condition, you want to clean the paint first with a cleaner or polish.

Ikabob
07-12-2002, 11:08 PM
I do not necessarily just want shiney...I actually just want to find out if there are visible differences between the two. And would like the answers to the other questions I asked if possible. Thank you.

Chuckmotor
07-12-2002, 11:14 PM
I haven`t used EO Wet and Shine on anything other than door jambs, but there is a difference between that and, say, Meguiar`s #26 or Gold Class. From what I understand, EO Wet and Shine is a cleaner wax, and the two Meguiar`s are just waxes.

You could always take the trusty #7 followed by #26 route. Nice oily, muted look. EO Wet and Shine is probably more reflective. Gold Class is very reflective and shiny.

Ikabob
07-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Thank you. Could you tell me what are #7 and 26??? I am a beginner here. Is 7 the cleaner and 26 the wax? Mine is a brand new car...would it need a cleaner 1st?

Scottwax
07-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Personally, I would never, ever use Eagle`s waxes because for a long time they were putting out a wax with Teflon® in it. I won`t use any wax from a company that perpetuates the myth (actually, lie) that Teflon® does anything to improve wax. I refuse to reward companies that do that.

imported_Intel486
07-13-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Personally, I would never, ever use Eagle`s waxes because for a long time they were putting out a wax with Teflon® in it. I won`t use any wax from a company that perpetuates the myth (actually, lie) that Teflon® does anything to improve wax. I refuse to reward companies that do that.

They claimed to have developed a teflon that can bond at low temps different from teh DuPont teflon...

They make good wax though and they don`t use the Teflon marketing thing anymore.

thevolvoguy
07-13-2002, 02:51 AM
Ikabob- Meguiar`s #7 part of their Professional line, it is the Showcar Glaze (polish)

I would clay first (pick up a clay kit at your local auto zone, walmart, etc) even though your car is new, this will ensure the paint is clean as possible and will leave a nice surface for the wax to bond to. After claying use the #7 (if your car has swirls use Meguiar`s #9 2.0 in its place, or just add it before the #7) Follow with Gold Class wax for a great shine.

The EOWS is a good product, I agree w/ Intel... the Teflon thing is over it was just advertising for stuipd people.

Anyway if I had to pick between GC and EO, I would chose GC because of its initial shine. It won`t last for $%^& though. Especially if you live in a hot climate.

And yes both are carnaubas.

A good compramise is Meguiars #26 sealant.

shaf
07-13-2002, 02:56 AM
Honestly, if you`re new to detailing I don`t think you`d be able to tell much difference between products. Despite all that you may have read about depth, shine, wetness, etc, etc, it`s a very subtle thing to judge and is very subjective. I notice a very (very) subtle difference on my car when I topped it off with wax, but sometimes I really wonder if it`s all in my head...

What to buy depends on what you want to do. Do you want a one-step wax that includes cleaning and waxing? Or do you want to get more involved and get a separate cleaner with a non-cleaner wax? How often do you plan to wax, and thus how durable do you need it?

As far as consumer-grade stuff is, Gold Class gets high reviews by many because many use it. Short longevity. The few that have used EO stuff tend to like it also, but maybe don`t rave about it quite as much. Unknown longevity. Hopefully someone can answer your questions comparing the two, but I don`t think many really can... :nixweiss

Meguiar`s #26 is a long lasting non-cleaner wax, and #7 is a glaze which will clean ok for a new car (it shouldn`t need much cleaning). The numbered stuff is Meguiar`s professional line and are usually found in parts stores, not WalMart or something. I think GC has some light cleaners in it, but that`s debated heavily here. Eagle One`s liquid wax has cleaners, but their WET paste does not. Meguiars consumer line also sells cleaner and non-cleaner waxes, and also a 3-step system that includes cleaner, polish, and wax separately. You can see it on their website.

I just saved you a lot of searching and reading on some basics, but the search engine is an excellent tool here if you use it wisely. Also check out the Detailing Articles incase you haven`t already. I didn`t learn all the above 1st hand. ;)

PS, I highly recommend claying first, even for a new car.

CharlesW
07-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by thevolvoguy

A good compromise is Meguiars #26 sealant.

Not to nit-pick, but isn`t Meguiar`s sealant #20? I think #26 is their carnauba paste.

No big deal, except we are throwing so many numbers and options at this man that he will probably just take his car to the car wash and just have the spray wax applied there. That is supposed to be a joke, DON`T do it.

When a friend of mine bought his new Taurus and asked me about waxing, I steered him to the Meguiar`s Gold Class and his car still looks good after 3 years and 100k.

The point being, easy is pretty important to a lot of people. If he gets started and then wants to really do a job, then the specialty products will be the way for him to go.

ALAN81
07-13-2002, 09:26 AM
To answer your question EO makes a liquid and a paste wax that gives a ( wet shine) finish.Meguiars #26 is a carnuba wax.#7 is not a wax but a glaze to make you car shine real nice.The difference between #26 and EO is a matter of taste.#7 doesnt last very long. If it was me Iwould use #26 every 2 week and have that carnuba finish but its all in the prep work;if your car isnt preped right it doesn`t matter what you use

Ikabob
07-15-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the info. I will print it for future reference. For now I agree with ChrarlesW...I`ll try the KISS philosophy, then as I understand more I`ll get more detailed. I used the EO Wet and Shine liquid and it looked nice...but I think it`ll look even nicer next time when I try the EO W&S paste and then Glaze. I also need to use a good Chrome polish cause it sets off the beautiful "Anthrocite Blue" color. Any suggestions for a Chrome Trim Treatment??? We`ll see...I`m learnin! Thank you.