PDA

View Full Version : Factory Paint Question

derrickm
07-12-2002, 01:53 PM
When cars are painted at the factory, is there any type of wax or other types of proctection put on the car?

The reason I ask is that I just picked up my car this past Monday from the dealership and I told them not to wash or wax or do anything to my car. I got it right off the truck and all they did (I watched them) was take the plastic off of the car.

Just wondering what`s on it before I detail it this weekend. Am I going to have to use Dawn on it before I start my routine (wash, PPCL, Klasse and Blitz)?

Any help is appreciated....

Derrick

Bobby G
07-12-2002, 01:59 PM
It depends on the manufacturer. Some factories will take the time to hand glaze the car when repair minor flaws like dust nibs.

db

imported_memnuts
07-12-2002, 02:09 PM
Any wax applied by the manufacturer will be removed by your Dawn washing. If any wax was applied it was only one thin coat and most likely a carnuaba based product that has most likely evaporated off prior to final shipment to dealer or distribution point. Consider your new car a wax/sealant virgin.

Congrats on the new car. Happy detailing. :wavey

derrickm
07-12-2002, 02:14 PM
So I should go ahead and wash with Dawn? Or will the PPCL take care of it?

imported_memnuts
07-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by derrickm

So I should go ahead and wash with Dawn? Or will the PPCL take care of it?

PPCL should be quite adequate alone. No prior wash with Dawn necessary. :xyxthumbs

derrickm
07-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

PPCL should be quite adequate alone. No prior wash with Dawn necessary. :xyxthumbs

Awesome...thanks for the info

I can`t wait to clean this baby...she is going to be BAD!!!!:bounce

derrickm
07-12-2002, 02:29 PM
oh yeah....here`s a pic of the car, 2002 VW GTI 337...don`t bash me, it hasn`t been cleaned yet....

imported_memnuts
07-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Really nice car. Now that you have a before picture note the postion and time of day in which it was taken. After detailing this weekend try to take another picture at the same time/position. I realize the difference may not be as dramatic as in person but it will be nice to see a before and after picture.

Happy Detailing. :wavey