PDA

View Full Version : Differrence between 3M IHG & SMR?

imported_M3Pilot
07-12-2002, 10:18 AM
I was told that I should go and get some IHG for my car as it would lose any swirl marks and polish, condition the paint before waxing.

From what I`ve read it`s only really used for very new paint?

So what is the difference between the 2 products.

I take it that the SMR has a greater cutting action than IMG, but both do the same job?

Sharkie
07-12-2002, 10:28 AM
IHG has no abrasives, just fillers and oils & no cutting action. It’s safe to use on freshly painted cars. 3M SMR has some cutting action (very mild) and some oils and fillers, which can be washed away if necessary before applying a sealant.

Adam

imported_BretFraz
07-12-2002, 10:32 AM
To be more specific, IHG does have a little cleaning action that comes from Kaoiln clay in it. Not much though, the stuff is mostly oils and fillers designed to hide swirls rather than remove them.

SMR has more "bite" than IHG that when used properly actually Removes Swirl Marks, hence the name.

Not disagreeing with Adam, just adding a liitle more info.

Next step up the ladder is Finesse-It II or FI2.

imported_M3Pilot
07-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Damm you guys are good :D

So it`s ok to use IHG, but if there are some swirls, light scratches

( Which I won`t have yet) i might have to use a more aggresive product like SMR to remove them.

imported_Intel486
07-12-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by M3Pilot

Damm you guys are good :D

So it`s ok to use IHG, but if there are some swirls, light scratches

( Which I won`t have yet) i might have to use a more aggresive product like SMR to remove them.

IHG might be able to remove extremely fine swirls. I`m not even sure if it is that abrasive. It does a great job on fresh paint. I used it on my computer case when I painted it and it went from nice smooth shine to super gloss with one application! I`ll have to check my test computer case to see if I still go it. I had an areas with just the fine cut rubbing compound, an area just polished with SMR, and an area polished with IHG. IHG blew the others away.

SMR will remove heavier swirls than IHG will. They both contain a lot of fillers though.

Sharkie
07-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

To be more specific, IHG does have a little cleaning action that comes from Kaoiln clay in it.

I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I was mistaken. :D Didn’t know IHG had clay in it that acted as what must be a super mild cleaner/polish.

Adam

couch16
07-12-2002, 12:23 PM
One more difference...

Autopians have reported that you should NOT use IHG if you use a polymer like Klasse or Zaino. They will not be able to properly bond to the surface due to all the fillers and oils in IHG.

SMR is fine to use before Klasse or Zaino.

imported_Intel486
07-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Tortuga

SMR is fine to use before Klasse or Zaino.

SMR has a lot of filler in it also. I know with Klasse SG it would be ok to use SMR before hand if you use Klasse AIO as it will clean all the oils and fillers away so Klasse SG can bond. Not sure with Zaino.

Sharkie
07-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

SMR has a lot of filler in it also. I know with Klasse SG it would be ok to use SMR before hand if you use Klasse AIO as it will clean all the oils and fillers away so Klasse SG can bond. Not sure with Zaino.

I forget the thread but someone posted recently that they asked Zaino about what to do after using 3M SMR. Zaino said it was fine just to use the Z-7 wash after SMR.

Adam

imported_Intel486
07-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SJ Sharkie

I forget the thread but someone posted recently that they asked Zaino about what to do after using 3M SMR. Zaino said it was fine just to use the Z-7 wash after SMR.

Adam

Well washing it would remove most of the oils. I though you were talking about going straight from polishing with SMR right to Zaino or Klasse