PDA

View Full Version : Switching from carnuba to synthetic (paint color change)

spiffytodd
07-12-2002, 09:07 AM
:confused:

I`ve been using Mothers 1-2-3 system for several years, along with their spray detailer - on a Rio Red (fire engine red) Mustang GT - was always very happy with the results, lots of compliments.

I totaled that car a few weeks ago, and it`s been replaced by a `01 GT Bullitt (low miles, kept garaged, so the paint is in good shape.)

The paint on this car is a very dark, metallic green, I`ve 1-2-3`d it twice so far, and I can`t get it to look as nice as the red GT. That car used to GLOW when I was done waxing it, with a nice wet, deep, glossy finish.

I`m not sure if it`s the difference in colors, paint, or what, but I`m thinking I need to make a change, and I`m thinking maybe synthetic, topped with a nice carnuba.

I know this paint has potential, I`m just not sure what it needs... I was thinking Blackfire or Klasse, topped with Souveran - would I notice a difference between this treatment and the Mothers system?

thanks for the help - I read through pages and pages of searched posts, and finally just wanted to post my question.

1fastmb

imported_BretFraz
07-12-2002, 10:29 AM
Damn, a Bullitt Mustang in Dark Highland Green. I want that car so bad my teeth hurt.

OK, so what to do to it. My current car is dark green too. There are two trains of thought on dark cars so I`ll hit ya with both and make your decision even tougher :)

(1) Dark colors look best with high quality carnaubas. What you saw with the red car is a highly reflective color that dazzled the ol` retinas. But dark colors have a depth that is much different and can look exotic and rich if you do them right. I`ve used Blackfire on my car topped with Pinnacle Souveran and felt it looked terrific. It was reflective but deep and shimmering, almost 3D like. On black cars there`s no question in my mind that carnauba adds a dimension that no sealant can offer. This applies to all dark colored cars too.

(2) Polymer sealants like Zaino, Klasse, and Blackfire will give your car more "sparkle" and reflectivity than a carnauba. What you lose in depth and richness you gain in gloss and a more mirror-like shine. Lots of people like this because it adds an eye-dazzling appearance to paint and, lets be honest, people are turned on by it. I have Zaino on my car now and like it but it is different. One big benefit of most sealants is their durability. Even the best carnauba only lasts a few weeks, maybe 3 months if its garaged and cared for. You can get months of protection from a sealant.

So there`s some things to chew on while deciding what to buy. If you want to really get into it then I suggest buying a variety of products and trying them to find what you like best. Lots of people have an opinion but the only one that matters is yours.

Good luck. Enjoy the car. Post a pic or two if you can. I`d love to see a DHG Bullitt totally detailed to perfection.

Viking
07-12-2002, 10:41 AM
Was the Mustang new or used? My question is can one only obtain the Bullitt package when purchasing a stock GT, or do dealers usually have them on hand? By the way, the dark green is the CLASSIC Bullitt!

imported_JeffBruce
07-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Ok...would greatly appreciate a picture.....

What did you do to prep the car?, did you Dawn wash, use a cleaner? do you use a PC? Swirl remover.??Machine Glaze??...

BretFraz has #1 ideas, after you prep the car...(i know you said paint was in good shape)

When I prep a car in medium to bad shape

1. Clay, Dawn Wash, Fine cut (maybe), FIN II( maybe), swirl remover, machine glaze, Souvran ....Using Porter cable or if in need my Rotary..

When I prep for Klasse, Zaino, Platinum, Blackfire, I use there cleaner, polish (after finecut 0r swirlremover) then there protectent..

my 2c`s

jeff

spiffytodd
07-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Wow - I wasn`t sure anyone would know what I was talking about if I said Dark Highland Green, much less a Bullitt

:D

bretfraz - the way you described the carnuba is definitely what I`m used to seeing - actually, your first sentence confirmed my suspicions. And although durability is an issue (I don`t have the time to wax the car every weekend:rolleyes: ) I`d rather have the "look" I want and deal with the labor when I have to - maybe a PC even, if I had a beater to practice on.

viking - the Bullitt was a complete package, delivered as produced by Ford - there were only 5K+ made. I picked it up used, with less than 2k on the OD. It is basically a GT, and you can purchase most of the upgraded parts aftermarket - not the paint though;)

JeffBruce - very little prep - washed with Dawn, and Mothers 1-2-3. Repeated 2-3. I prolly should have clayed it, and will next time. The paint wasn`t abused, but neglected - the previous owner was also a pilot, and he applied some type of aircraft/aviation related polish to the car - once or twice.

Well, based on what I`ve found searching through threads (what a great resource this place is) and what I`ve heard from you right here, I`ll probably wind up with one of the Pinnacle kits.

I think I just need to try something, and see if I like it.

One last question - is the PC very tricky to use? I use one to finish furniture, but never on a car...

I`ll post a pic tonight:up

thanks -

1fastmb

imported_Tony
07-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Welcome!

I am a Klasse user. I like Klasses excellent protection and the AIO helps to save a step and the SG can be layered.

I use Mother`s clay and am still looking for Mother`s clear coat chrome wheel polish. I have also read very good things about Mother`s new product called REFLECTIONS . Well let me get to the point. You have a great opportunity to due a comparison test. I would love to see a comparison of 1/2 of your hood with your present step 3 carnauba and the other half with Reflections. I know I am asking alot but your review would be very informative and contributing to the many of us in pursuit of the perfect shine.

Just my 2 cents and welcome again.

spiffytodd
07-12-2002, 11:50 AM
That`s interesting - I almost ordered Reflections, but it was touted as a polish. I later found out that it`s synthetic carnuba, and will supposedly hold up as well or better than Mothers Gold.

I may try it, but this time I`ll properly prep the car - no more half @ssing the job:nono

1fastmb