PDA

View Full Version : best 15" subs for value - questions

Pages : 1 [2]

mercedesfanatic
12-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by eldawg4100

LOL the uneducated entertain me

you said magnet weight determines power and cone material yada yada. thats all complete bull that i used to believe when i was younger (now i am installing at a car audio shop)

the brahma has world class SQ, comparable to an IDmax and JLw7. so, it has more than just the longest mechanical X-max ever dumaxed.

JBL is crap? wow, thats funny, because the bp 1200.1 is the best damn value. 250 dollars for a solid 1200 watts?

YOU HAVE so much to learn you are like a 1st grader in the world of car audio.

everyone bear witness that he said "voltage" in place of watts.

yea guys, my amp puts out 500 volts RMS, 1000 peak volts LOL

Yeah I know i`m not the best in car audio, but I was tryin to offer a little advice. But now that you`re on the boards I`ll let u field all the audio questions from now on. And about the voltage comment, I must have over read that, I`m not THAT stupid.

iluvspl
12-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Ahhh car audio what a fun subject. Well when choosing a woofer there a couple factors, one of the BIGGEST is the voice coil size. You could have the biggest magnet in the world but if theres not a big voice coil than it cant handle the power. A good sub has at least a .5" voice coil a good one has up to 5" one. Cone material is also a factor stiffer material the better if the cone is harder the less likely to bend thus less distortion and tighter bass. And of course the max excuriosn of the speaker because if you have say a 15 that moves about .5" and another that does say 1" of a throw the second will be far louder beacause it can move that much more air.

But the most important factor is.............. drum roll............ THE ENCLOSURE i dont care if you have a $1000 PPI PRO 15 piston driver if the speaker is in the wrong enclosure your wasting your time. Ive seen people take the cheapest pyramid crap and throw it in a perfectly computer designed enclosure and someone take a Diamond audio driver and throw it in a premade q logic piece of **** and the pyramid blows it away. Keyis find a good installer with decent product and you`ll be fine.

eldawg4100
12-07-2002, 12:33 AM
you said "a sub with .5 and 1 inch xmax, the 1 inch will be louder"

hmmm it will take many more watts to make it move the extra 1/2 inch! huge subs are also inefficient so...

coil size is a good determination of powerhandling also, like iluvSPL

but dont let it fool it... many factors involvoed like, what gauge windings, how long it is, how many layers etc. etc.

take for example the image dynamics IDMAX.... only a 2 inch voice coil! but very long, thich windings

also the adhesive quality on the VC is important....very important. also the former makes a difference, some are paper, some aluminum, some kapton, some apical.