PDA

View Full Version : question about dawn wash + blackfire

CobraKing
07-10-2002, 05:29 PM
First off, this is my first post but i have spent some time on the board doing research and just becoming "schooled" in the ways of autopia. I have learned a lot from this site and it is an asset to me.

I purchased the complete blackfire kit from CMA (sans machine) and i have a question. I did a through dawn-wash this morning on my car and spent the better part of the day claying it with the pinnacle clay. I plan on putting the blackfire polish and protectent on tomorrow. In my area of Long Island (temp residence) there are lots of small debris that end up on cars in this area over night. (water marks from sprinkelers etc.).

My question is. should i do a dawn wash again tomorrow before applying the blackfire? or should i just wash it with meguires deep crystal?

I feel like i am forgeting another question i had but oh well, this will suffice for now. Thank you in advance.

-Dr_Zilla

99` white Saab 9-3

2wheelsx2
07-10-2002, 05:33 PM
No, you do not have to dawn wash again. A quick wash with a light carwash solution should do it. After all, the car is clean now, all you`re doing is washing off whatever dust and light contaminants have settled on the surface.

imported_BretFraz
07-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Agreed. This has happened to me many times. A quickie wash or just a wipe down will do the trick. As long as you get any surface contaminents off the paint prior to BF you`ll be fine.

And welcome to Autopia!!:D

CobraKing
07-10-2002, 10:10 PM
thanks, that is what i thought, i was just making sure. When i washed the car this morning with dawn, i thought i did a great job but then when i got into it with the clay bar, (bottom side of trim towards bottom of the car, near fog lights etc...) there was still some nastyness. Any last minute tips for applying the blackfire by hand tomorrow?

Jngrbrdman
07-10-2002, 10:19 PM
As always, do it in the shade. :) Blackfire is a breeze to apply. It just goes on and buffs off. You`ll notice that its a bit staticy at first. The best way I`ve found to eliminate the static is to give it a good couple coats of carnuba after I`m done layering the Blackfire. I put 5 layers of Blackfire on and then 2 or 3 layers of Pinnacle Paste Glaz and the static went away. I still do the same thing but I like to alternate the Paste Glaz and Souveran. It doesn`t really matter what carnuba you use though. Its all good. :xyxthumbs You are going to love Blackfire. It looks really amazing on white.

edit: You might want to give it a normal wash in the morning if you didn`t wash it after the clay anyway. It just gets any additional clay deposits or smears off. Not to mention that it gets all the dust off. The Blackfire should take care of the smears but you definatly want to at least run some water over it to get the dust off before you do anything else. The really good thing I first noticed about Blackfire is that it does help with swirls better than Klasse did. You still have to be careful with the dust though. ;)

CobraKing
07-10-2002, 10:27 PM
I don;t have any paste glaz or souveran and at the moment i am not able to spend more money on car products (gotta get a summer job first ;) So you would suggest putting on more than one layer of the BF polish and then just one layer of the bf sealant (as its all i have) ?

Jngrbrdman
07-10-2002, 10:43 PM
You really only need one layer of the first bottle. Its just a polish and a cleaner. The second bottle is the good stuff. Thats the one you want to layer. I wouldn`t think that you would want to do more than 2 layers of that on the first day. It makes for a long day if you do more than that. Blackfire doesn`t really need much cure time so its cool to do that many coats.

If you don`t have the Pinnacle waxes then maybe you want to pick up some Blitz? Its only like $15 at most sites. www.premiumautocare.com comes to mind as a reasonable one. I think that TOL sells it for a pretty good price too. Plus they have that other "pinnacle-esque" wax in their arsenol. If all else fails then remember that Meguiar`s Gold Class is one of the finer things you can get off the shelf. :)

CobraKing
07-10-2002, 11:03 PM
thanks for the tips and the advice on the blitz, i got the full blackfire kit which comes with a BF Quick detailer type spray and also with a BF car wash. Will those do the same thing as the blitz with regular use?