PDA

View Full Version : where to detail

ldonato
07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
i recently moved to houston and live in a downtown highrise, giving me zero options for car care. does anyone know any places in houston i can bucket wash? other than quarter bays? thanks

Detailing NY
07-09-2002, 05:21 PM
what if you park your car under you kitchen window, then stick the sprayer from the sink out the window and tape it so it stays on, then you can wash & rinse the car in one step. It would be like washing your car in the rain.:D

what about where you work, do they have a hose?

sorry cant help you, i am from NY

imported_Intel486
07-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Well, Scottwax recommends Protectall Quick & Easy Wash. You simply mix two capfulls in a gallon of water. Wash a panel, then you dry it off.

I just recieved a gallon of it and have washed about 5 cars with it. I`d have to say it is a GREAT product! I put it in one of those garden sprayers. The type you pump up and then spray on with. I then have a bucket of clean water. I`ll spray the panel down, then wipe it with the wash mit, then I`ll dry the panel, and buff to a great shine! I then clean the wash mit in the bucket between panels to get all the dirt off. I use a little less than two gallons of water washing a car with this method. That includes cleaning the wheel and tires off. I use a wheel cleaner and tire cleaner on them and use the water to rinse them off. Since I don`t have any waterpressure I also have to scrub and rinse out the really dirty wheel wells.

I paid $29 for a gallon including shipping from, I think, RVworld... I`ll get back with the URL. I got the link from the protectall webpage so just go there and search for online retailers.

Scott, thank you for recommending this product! I`m soo glad I had it. I showed up at an office later than I normally do so I was a distance from the water faucet and my hose wasn`t long enough. I had to use the Quick & Easy Wash. Worked great!

jkochis
07-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

i recently moved to houston and live in a downtown highrise, giving me zero options for car care. does anyone know any places in houston i can bucket wash? other than quarter bays? thanks

Questionable but...sometimes large apartment complexes ahve car washing bays and/or hoses setup for that kind of thing. Might not hurt to scope a few out nearby....and use it during a non-busy time....;)

imported_Tony
07-09-2002, 07:15 PM
I live about 35 miles away, if you don`t mind driving. Check out Sawdust/ Rayford on your map. PM me if you are interested.

thevolvoguy
07-10-2002, 03:21 PM
I am in the West Houston/Katy area... you can use my hose!

DrewD
07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I used to live in Midtown Houston in one of the newer apartment complexes. There was no car washing facility and even if you could find some type of hose bib somewhere, washing your car was a lease violation. (Leasing office told me it was to conserve water... I`m pretty sure that`s BS. I`m sure they think car washing is "unsightly" and lowers the value of the property.)

Anyway, I had the same dilema you have. The only real option (short of a gas station car wash or DIY spray-n-wash place) is to go to a friend`s house.

If you do resort to either of the above--less preferred--options, here are two places I`ve used:

- Car Spa: Corner of Smith & Tuam, just blocks from downtown

- Joe`s: Take W. Grey and make a left on Montrose. It`s down a few blocks on the left. Beware of the AutoZone on the opposite corner...unless you enjoy filth and hassles.

imported_Intermezzo
07-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

I live in a corporate area as well and across the street from my condo is a parking structure that is ideal for bucket-washing. The key is to find a parking structure that is open to the public on weekends. The place where I go is perfect because it has a lot of lighting and a good amount of indirect sunlight.

imported_Dan O
07-11-2002, 03:23 PM
I second Intermezzo`s recommendation. Before I got into out of an apartment last week, I had been using my work`s parking garage to detail. I even had my PC hooked up with an extension cord to an outlet in the hallway and seriously considered how I could tap into the emergency water outlet with a hose. ;)

It provided a cool, clean, shaded area to work in.

Kory

ldonato
07-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by vwrocks

I second Intermezzo`s recommendation. Before I got into out of an apartment last week, I had been using my work`s parking garage to detail. I even had my PC hooked up with an extension cord to an outlet in the hallway and seriously considered how I could tap into the emergency water outlet with a hose. ;)

It provided a cool, clean, shaded area to work in.

Kory

that`s all fine and good, but what about water supply? will i have to cart in my own gallons of water? )= if that`s the case, i`ll just wash in my PG...