PDA

View Full Version : Just called Leatherique for some answers

Pages : [1] 2

couch16
07-09-2002, 04:14 PM
I just called Leatherique and spoke with Kristy. She was very helpful and answered some of the questions my fellow Autopians and I had.

Is Leatherique just for reconditioning leather or does it also protect leather?

Kristy gave me a detailed description of the chemistry of preserving leather. Here were some key points of our discussion:

- Preserving leather really means keeping the entire product soft, supple, and moisturized. Many cleaners and conditioners are focused on cleaning the surface of the leather and making it look good. Few products are designed to condition the entire product. Leatherique is absorbed by the entire product and therefore can keep it soft and supple. Therefore, it may be the only product to truly condition and protect leather for a long period of time.

- Products containing petroleum distilates and silicones do not help condition the leather. They may clean well and look nice, but that doesn`t mean you`re treating the leather. Also, the "new" leathers (I can`t remember the the chemical name for them) have some properties that make them difficult to treat with products like Lexol.

Does Leatherique contain UV protection?

Yes, but in order to preserve the product`s pH balance, the UV protectors are minimal.

Kristy reminded me that leather is really skin and therefore sunblock will work wonders for UV protection. She recommended Eckart`s 45 sunblock, preferably without fragrance. I never thought of this, but it makes sense.

After applying the rejuvenator oil, the car should be left in the sun to help it penetrate the leather. But what if it`s cold outside or you`re using it on a leather couch?

Not a problem. She recommended leaving it on overnight for Leatherique to work it`s way completely through the leather.

I also have a leather couch, leather chair, and a few leather jackets. Will Leatherique work on them?

Absolutely. Kristy said that Leatherique has quite a following from Harley Davidson groups.

How much should I buy and what will it cost?

Since the product has an indefinite shelf life, buying in bulk is the smart approach. Most customers only need a quart or two. Also, BMW and Mercedes car club owners receive a significant discount (you don`t need to prove you`re a member - just say you are and you get a discount). I was able to purchase a gallon of both rejuvenator oil and pristine clean for $120 plus shipping. Most people can get away with paying a total of $40 a quart of each.

mikenomad57@hotmail.com
07-09-2002, 04:44 PM
Those b@stards charged me twice for one order (2x$60). I emailed them, and they said they would credit me. After almost 2 months, I called my credit card company to dispute the charges.

:mad:

imported_Intel486
07-09-2002, 06:19 PM
I may have to order some Leatherique. I`ve heard a lot about its reconditioning properties. I`ve got an explorer to do this sunday morning and he told me his leather is pretty bad and would like me to look at it.

JAGOWNER1981
07-09-2002, 06:37 PM
I`ve said it before, and ill say it again. Leatherique rules! for maintaing or reconditioning leather, no product matches it.

BradE
07-09-2002, 06:43 PM
I`ve said it before, and ill say it again. Leatherique rules! for maintaing or reconditioning leather, no product matches it.

I agree 100%. Of all the products I have tried for leather interiors nothing even comes close to Leatherique.:up

jkochis
07-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Thanks for posting the info.

Perhaps someone here can answer these questions...

1) What is it about the "new leather" that prevents Lexol from working, but allows Leatherique to work?

2) Do you guys who use it disagree with Ron K`s theory that "new leather" should be treated like vinyl?

3) Do you guys who use it think that Ron K was wrong when he said that conditioning products are bad for "new leather"?

Thanks.

MotorHead
07-09-2002, 06:55 PM
I also looked into this product but had one concern, my leather seats have suede panels. I asked is this would pose a problem but she mentioned it worked on suede as well without staining. She mentioned after cleaning the suede the nap of the suede would just need to be brushed back up. I`m a little skepticle about this but look forward to trying this product based off these reviews.

couch16
07-09-2002, 07:26 PM
RH,

Kristy talked to me quite a bit about the "new leather" situation. Quite frankly, I didn`t know what she was talking about because I don`t know enough about "new leather" or the chemistry behind it. Kristy does. Perhaps you or Ron K should give her a call at 904-272-0992 from 8am to 5pm EST.

She was quite certain that Leatherique will work great on "new leather" but other products would not.

jkochis
07-09-2002, 07:35 PM
I`ll post a link to site that Ron K works for...for reader educational purposes...

http://www.autoint.com/ford_leather.htm

If someone disputes these claims (which would invalidate the use of Leatherique on most newer cars), and has further advice, please post...otherwise save your $ and use 303 Aerospace.

imported_Intel486
07-09-2002, 07:36 PM
What are we talking about? "new leather"? Are you guys talking about "top coated" leather?

I know Ron K saies oil based leather conditioners will damage the top coating on leather. You have to use a waterbased leather conditioner on them.

JAGOWNER1981
07-09-2002, 08:11 PM
I definitely disagree, I have used leatherique a couple times on our mercedes ML which i believe has top coated leather. It used to have rough spots that are now BUTTER smooth! They said it works better on nude leather (nappa, connolly, etc.) but it is fine for clearcoated stuff.

BradE
07-09-2002, 09:34 PM
Well, Ron is correct about the clearcoated leather. Don`t be fooled though, the coating itself is not solid. It does have small holes in it that allow things to pass through and air to contact the hyde. If you apply this stuff every month then yes you might get damage to the coating, but I think once a year would be O.K.

porterdog
07-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by AlBoston

I`ve said it before, and ill say it again. Leatherique rules!

Leatherique might be great, but Tortuga rules. First the Klasse color comparo and now this. Real data is the best kind to have.

Regards,

Robert

couch16
07-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Ok...I want to help resolve this issue. I`ll call Kristy so we can get her opinion on it. But before I do, I think there`s some confusion.

According to the above link, what Ron K referrs to as "new leather" is "clear coated leather". However, Kristy seemed to be talking about something completely different (about how they`re not using some chemical in leather anymore or something - I didn`t understand it but I`ll have her explain it again).

Ron K states about "old leather" that, "the material was simply leather that was dyed. You could not clean it with any type of heavy cleaner or you would remove the dye and the natural oils from the leather." That suggests to me that Leatherique will work great on "old leather" because it restores these natural oils while forcing contaminents out. But Ron K feels that putting leather cleaner/conditioner on a clear coated surface is like putting leather cleaner/conditioner on vinyl surfaces.

Is there anything I misunderstood or something else I need to know before I call her to have her clear this up?

P.S. Thanks porterdog! I haven`t finished my Klasse experiments. I`ve got 4 coats of SG on it and will probably add three more before Sunday. If it`s not raining, I`ll take it back to the dealer for comparison and also have my mother look at it. I`ll keep everyone posted on the issue.

porterdog
07-10-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Tortuga

I haven`t finished my Klasse experiments. I`ve got 4 coats of SG on it and will probably add three more before Sunday. If it`s not raining, I`ll take it back to the dealer for comparison and also have my mother look at it. I`ll keep everyone posted on the issue.

Dude. You rock.