PDA

View Full Version : applicator induced swirls?

NattyBumppo
07-09-2002, 12:32 PM
After finally getting to see the hood of my truck today in bright sunlight I noticed that the side waxed with Liquid Souveran now has tons of faint swirls. A co-worker noitced it and said something to me :scared . Prior to applying LS, there were none, at least not visibly noticeable ones. The side I did with #26 is still for all practical purposes, swirl free. The only thing I can think of is that I created these new swirls while applying the LS :nixweiss . I used a new yellow foam applicator (as I did with #26). Should I have moistened the applicator with water or QD?

Now when I get home I need to try the P21s GEPC again on the hood and hopefully it`ll hide the swirls ...it`s driving me crazy!

Ken B
07-09-2002, 12:45 PM
It could be dirt trapped in the the applicator

It could also be "swirls" on the wax not the paint.

:confused:

bigdipper
07-10-2002, 11:49 PM
I have noticed that you can never be too carefull in applying a product. That`s why I do every panel with new towels & applicators and so on. Just to be safe and sure!!

You can never bet too safe when you want the best results.

imported_doug
07-11-2002, 01:04 AM
Did you dust the panel immediately before applying?

did you use Microfiber to buff out the Souveran?

NattyBumppo
07-11-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by carguy

Did you dust the panel immediately before applying?

did you use Microfiber to buff out the Souveran?

I didn`t dust the hood before applying the LS because it had just undergone a dawn wash, clay, another dawn wash and then an application of P21s Paint Cleanser. It was squeaky clean. My guess is that there was some dirt or dust embedded in the foam applicator that I used.

And yes, mf towels to buff both the P21s GEPC and LS (separate towels).

Viking
07-11-2002, 07:56 AM
Same thing has happened to me. I have been so proud of my new found drive for a mirror finish, it has become such a great hobby. Just the other day one of my co-workers noticed I had faint swirl marks all over the car. Low and behold he was right, you can only notice them in just the right light but they are there. At this point I don`t know what to think or do, the car only has 1400 miles on it! I think I may go throw up....

:(

DCT
07-11-2002, 08:00 AM
Natty,

I hand wash all my applicators, cotton towels, MF towels, and cotton wash mitts with Liquid Tide prior to using them when they are new. I also hand wash all of them after using them (separately) with the Liquid Tide.

As careful as you are with your baby, I would suspect that the swirls are only in the wax. Try a light cleaner on an affected area and see if that removes the swirls. That should tell you where the swirls came from.

I know you`re a MF fan, but try re-waxing and removing with a good cotton towel. The MF`s are great, but can sometimes hold "hidden" dirt unless super clean, or can hold too much wax residue that can cause wax swirls as you are buffing.

imported_memnuts
07-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Since you are a Autopian I`m sure that you used proper precautions prior to applying the LS ( i.e clean applicator). The newly revealed surface marring were probably hidden by the number of coats of #26 and became apparent when you de-waxed the hood with the Dawn wash. One coat of LS probably is not enough to re-hide these flaws but with subsequent layering they may dissappear. Of course the best method would be to eliminate with a SMR and than re-apply LS. A good test would be your next panel and its condition before and after de-waxing. Look really closely prior to applying the LS and observe if there has been a change in the amount of revealed surface marring. :wavey

NattyBumppo
07-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Viking

I think I may go throw up....

:(

LOL, I know exactly how you feel.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions gang. White_f150...I`ve just been soaking my applicators overnight in the laundry basin with Dawn then rinsing with hot water. Maybe I should start washing them in the machne also. My wife is gonna kill me!

blkz28conv......you make a good point, I didn`t even think of it. Lord knows the truck has plenty of coats of #26 on it, I`m sure more than enough to hide those very faint swirls.

Time permitting this weekend I`ll be doing the whole shabang again. Dawn wash, clay, dawn wash then P21s GEPC, Meg`s #7 and a coat of #26. This time I`ll try the GEPC with the Crastsmen orbital. Hopefully, between the GEPC, #7 and #26 those faint swirls will be a thing of the past. At least until the next Dawn wash. Agreed, SMR would hbe the way to do it right but until I get a PC, it`ll have to wait.

Thanks again gang for the help and suggestions. :xyxthumbs

Keith718
07-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Natty, I have the same problem, swirls in sunlight on previously unblemished paintwork. I know it`s the applicator, or rather somewhere in my application of OGOG and Blitz, that`s doing it as the swirls are all back to front, in exactly the same direction as I apply the stuff. I use cotton covered foam applicators for the OG, and naked foam applicators for the Blitz. Someone on this forum (sorry, can`t remember who) suggested that much thicker applicators should be used, always keeping at least half an inch between hand and paint. It`s natural to rub harder to try to eliminate swirls and to get a good finish, I don`t think this helps.

I guess the best plan is to try out all of the suggestions on a small area, one at a time, to try to track down the cause. Then tell me!

I only look at my car in the evening. What a deep wet shine - works every time. Regards, Kes.

samiam513
07-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Kes

I use cotton covered foam applicators for the OG, and naked foam applicators for the Blitz.

Not asll 100% cotton is 100% cotton. Only a couple products that say "100% cotton" are really what they say. If they are made overseas in pakastan, china ect. then they are not 100% cotton. They have big threads of polyester in there.

Joeeyo
07-11-2002, 06:47 PM
NATTY NATTY NATTY!!!!!!

The number one rule in swirls is NOT TO PUT ANY IN!!!!!!

Try the up and down on the sides 7 back

and

bumper to bumper on the hood and roof

I have had luck NOT using ANY swirling motion during wash/dry/wax NEVER

Hope it works out for you, I am sure a swirl remover will bring it right up!!!!

see ya at the other site

I told ya, try that "Z" word stuff...

ZAINO BABY!!!!!! :up :D

NattyBumppo
07-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Kes...Like you said, I`ll just keep taking bits of info from here until I find the answer though I think a PC is becoming a must have rather than a nice to have. Next month, a trip to Lowes!

Joeeyo...LOL...you crack me up! The Zaino brothers should put you on a poster :xyxthumbs . Good to cya here.

Joeeyo
07-12-2002, 06:40 AM
You got it buddy!! See ya there !!!!!!

Joey "O"

DCT
07-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Natty,

Ya sure can`t argue with success Joeeyo has had on that red SuperCrew! That "Z" sure makes red look nice! You already know how I feel about it!