PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars show car glaze then Zaino

Pages : [1] 2

stuart hicks
07-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Those of you who want the depth of color carnubas provide yet like the reflectivity of zaino may like this combo.

Meguiars show car glaze makes any dark colored car look great but provides very little protection, plus it lacks the reflectivity of Zaino Z2. It is however body shop safe so it should in turn be Zaino safe.

So my advice is to put on show car glaze followed by Z2 for the optimum in look and protection.

Basically you are just replacing the Z5 with Meguiars show car glaze. I find the Z5 to be useless, but the Z2 to add a lot of reflectivity.

I have done four black cars with this combo and have been amazed at how much better the combo works than just using Zaino or Just using Pinnacle or some other Carnuba.

rolle4
07-09-2002, 09:53 AM
When following the show car glaze with Z2, do you find that the Z bonds per usual? I would think that the oils etc in show car glaze would cause a problem for Z, in that conventional theory holds that to get optimal bonding you need a squeeky clean surface. I`d be curious if you have noticed any less durability in the Z2.

BradE
07-09-2002, 09:59 AM
Meguiars Show Car Glaze is NOT compatible with the Zaino system. The high oil content of the glaze will prevent the Zaino from crosslinking and properly bonding to the surface.

stuart hicks
07-09-2002, 10:07 AM
I just did these cars with the combo in the last week so I can`t comment on durability. My hope is that since the glaze is paintable and silicone free that it will allow Z2 to bond over it.

It really looks like nothing else I have tried though especially on black.

My theory is that this is the look that Zaino is shooting for but can`t get because of the limitations of Z5.

I never tried the Z6 but would love to throw it into the mix with this combo.

I will use this combo for the look it gives on my own cars no matter what the durability. On customers cars I will wait until the durability verdict is out.

BradE
07-09-2002, 10:12 AM
My hope is that since the glaze is paintable and silicone free that it will allow Z2 to bond over it.

The fact that it does not have silicone does not really mean anything in terms of using a polymer. The product (#7) still has tons of oils in it. When those oils are on the surface they prevent the crosslinking reaction from taking place, and in spots where it does begin to crosslink it`s attempting to crosslink to an oil, not the actual surface. In short, the Zaino never bonds to the surface they way polymer products are intended. When the #7 gets washed away, so does your Zaino.

laynlow
07-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Meguiars Show Car Glaze is NOT compatible with the Zaino system. The high oil content of the glaze will prevent the Zaino from crosslinking and properly bonding to the surface.

Exactly. SCG may not have silicone, but it has plenty of OIL. Zaino will not work with SCG, and in fact Zaino does the same thing in one product with the added benifit of protection and durability. ;)

imported_memnuts
07-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Before I applied my first coat of Zaino ( more than 60 coats ago) I prepped the finish with Mequiar`s #9 and followed with #7 (glaze). No claying was necessary because this car is a garage queen that is rather driven. I washed with Dawn and then applied the Z1, Z2, etc. Maybe that is why I have a deep as carnuaba shine with the outstanding Zaino reflectivity. This is why I find it amazing that some people think that Zaino was no depth. Surface prep is essential for Zaino. I believe true color depthness is achieved prior to protectant application. This is especially important with dark colors. :xyxthumbs for your observation stuart hicks :bow

stuart hicks
07-09-2002, 10:23 AM
You may be right on the bonding thing, although I have talked with several chemist who say that there are plenty of polymers that will bond through petroleum distillates without using hardners. I don`t know why Zaino wouldn`t.

I really like the look of it. Thats why I use it (#7 & Z2).

In the same way people put a quick layer of wax over their car every week I Will just spread a Quick layer of Z2 every week

Do this until the #7 wears off and do it again.

It may bond and be durable as normal, or it may not.

#7 has no silicone or wax, if it did I would still use it.

BradE
07-09-2002, 10:27 AM
The silicone or wax content of #7 does not matter. It`s the fillers (oils) that will prevent the Zaino from bonding. Polymer products will not crosslink to the surface if any oil is present. Meguiars #7 IS loaded with oils.

stuart hicks
07-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Again, this combo is used for the look it provides. Durability is not a concern. No Zaino on its own doesn`t do the same thing nor does #7 on its own. It`s the look of deep black paint (#7) and a highly reflective surface (Z2) that I like.

The #7 does what the Z5 is supposed to do but doesn`t.

If using #7 decreases durability of the Z2 fine, I will Just do it more often.

Try it first, If you don`t like it then you can knock it.

BradE
07-09-2002, 10:45 AM
I`m not "knocking" anything. Just simply giving some facts of the chemistry involved.

JasonC8301
07-09-2002, 10:48 AM
I think the #7 defeats the purpose of Zaino. Zaino simplifies everything and makes my mobile kit very small. No need for all these different porducts when Z/2/Z5, Z6, and Z7 is all I need. I also like the fact that Zaino is durable. I just don`t have the time to Z a car every week or every month. I see the cars i clean like 2-3 times a year at the most, ususally its once a year.

If you like #7, have you ever tried putting Souveran or Blitz over the glaze?

But hey, to each his own,

Jason

stuart hicks
07-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Fair enough,

If anybody wants to try this combo, just know that there is some concern over the durability.

You may have to re-apply the Z2 more often because it may not be bonding as well as it should because of the #7.

I`m suggesting you try it for the look it provides.

If you are the type of person who can`t stop polishing your car anyway you may like this combo.

stuart hicks
07-09-2002, 11:03 AM
I have used Souveran over #7 and like the combo.

However, I hate to say it but to me Mothers Carnuba is a better product than Souveran.

Souveran often leaves oily wipe marks behind. It also sweats and leaves behind a white oilyness after sitting in the sun for a few hours.

But to answer you question, yes I have up until last week always found # 7 followed by a good Carnuba to be the best look possible on dark cars. I just said what the hell, I will try Zaino on top of the #7 to see what it looked like.

Very impressed with the look, but like you will stick with just straight Zaino on cars I don`t see but twice a year or so.

imported_memnuts
07-09-2002, 11:07 AM
How is this for a compromise. On virgin paint layer Zaino. After maybe 10 coats layer some #7 followed by Z2 or Z5. Hell, nothing wrong with experimenting on a garage queen... durability is not an issue.

My question is this: Is there any abrasives in #7 or is it a pure glaze? What about the solvents in #7, will it degrade the base Zaino?