PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Car Question

derrickm
07-09-2002, 08:46 AM
Ok guys, here`s the deal. I just picked up my brand new Silver Metallic VW GTI yesterday. It was a special order and I got it right after it came off of the truck. I told them just to "unwrap" it and don`t do anything else. I didn`t want them trying to wash and wax it and swirling up my paint.

So, now I have small amounts of leftover adhesive in various spots on the car from where the plastic was on the car.

What is the best way to clean this up? Should I just use some "Goo Gone" or something similar? Will using that type of stuff mess up my paint or anything?

Also, any other tips you all can give me on a brand new untouched car before I get too it this weekend??? I know that I`m going to use PPCL, Klasse Twins and then a coat of Blitz. Should I do anything else before I use these??

I`ve never had a brand new paint job to take care of, so I want to do this right.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Derrick

BradE
07-09-2002, 09:04 AM
What is the best way to clean this up? Should I just use some "Goo Gone" or something similar? Will using that type of stuff mess up my paint or anything?

A saftey solvent will work. Something like Mineral Spirits. Apply the product to the areas, let dwell for 2-5 mintues. Soak a rag with product and wipe it over the areas after the proper dwell time, this should remove the concern. Give the vehicle a good washing after to remove any residue. :up

derrickm
07-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Should I use any special type of rag to do this with? Should I use a MF?

picorrect
07-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Goo Gone took the finish off the hood of my Dad`s S-10 pickup. He thought it would remove sap. Well it did and then some.

I`ve used PrepClean and Chronar to remove adhesive.

BradE
07-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Should I use any special type of rag to do this with? Should I use a MF?

What ever you feel comfortable with. It really does affect the process, so what ever kind you like. :up

nerdhunters
07-09-2002, 07:09 PM
I have used the 3M adheasive remover, it worked quite well and did not effect the clear coat.