PDA

View Full Version : QD replacement for clay bar application

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Scratch
07-08-2002, 01:54 PM
I tried the Mother`s Clay Bar last saturday. I really like how it feels after clayed my car. But I have question, is there any other way to replace the instant detailer as lubricant?

Because just for a small car (my car is golf), I used more than a half bottle of the instant detailer. Would plain water works as a lubricant or is there any other cheap products that I could use?

thanks,

c0ki

imported_dl9589
07-08-2002, 01:56 PM
A mixture of soap and water would work, but I prefer using a QD. Just go to your local retail store and pick up a cheap QD to use as a lubricant.

samiam513
07-08-2002, 02:10 PM
You used alot! For three fullsized trtucks I still have bout 1.5 bottes left..

Walmart sells the Mothers QD.

Redcar GUY
07-08-2002, 02:14 PM
I use a mix of Z7 with water when I clay, I like it better than useing Z6 or other QD`s

HellrotCi
07-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by samiam513 You used alot! For three fullsized trtucks I still have bout 1.5 bottes left Hey that`s great, you ended up with a 1/2 bottle more than what you started with. :D

2wheelsx2
07-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Hey that`s great, you ended up with a 1/2 bottle more than what you started with.

Good one!! :bounce

chevyguy28
07-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Try whatever you use to wash the vehicle. I`m sure an ounce of car wash + one gallon of water is very cheap, especially once you only make a spray bottle`s worth. I don`t know what that works out to. Maybe a teaspoon or less combined with water in your spray bottle.

shaf
07-08-2002, 05:53 PM
While claying my car I found that when the QD dried up either due to the heat or just time, you can use a spray bottle with water in it to give it a tiny spritz and "reconstitute" the QD a bit. You can only do this about once per QD spray before losing some lubrication though. I found I was using a lot less QD after that and could work an area for longer before having to spray more QD. :up

Detailing NY
07-08-2002, 07:06 PM
I only use soap & water. QD starts to get pricy after a while and water is free. you will get the same results with soapy water.

NYD

jerry@robs
07-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Me too, soapy water works for me... QD gets really expensive when working on neglected cars...

imported_Scratch
07-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

I only use soap & water. QD starts to get pricy after a while and water is free. you will get the same results with soapy water.

NYD

So if you use soapy water instead of QD do you have to re-wash your car after that??

samiam513
07-08-2002, 09:14 PM
actually I started with 3. You don`t use a yellow claybar that turns black after 1 vehicle. You get another :D

forrest@mothers
07-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Use what the clay manufacturer recommends. Using soap water can cause some bars to turn soft.

We (Mothers) recommend using an instant detailer.

Detailing NY
07-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by c0ki

So if you use soapy water instead of QD do you have to re-wash your car after that??

I always wash the vehicle once i am doing claying, whether i use QD or soapy water, it is always best to rewash the vehicle after claying.

chevyguy28
07-09-2002, 03:01 PM
It`s true, some clay bars can fall apart with soapy water. I`ve heard reports that Clay Magic did, but with MGC Shampoo, it`s never happened to me.

If you clay after washing your vehicle, but right before drying it, using a car wash solution seems most convenient to me. I would wash before claying anyway. Then I would use a little QD here and there if needed.