PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep a log of their detailing activities?

Polere
07-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Autopians -

I`m really getting into a routine with my detailing activities and am going to start keeping a log. For example, I plan on waxing only 1 or 2 panels per weekly wash because I don`t have time to do a complete wax every 2-3 months. A log should help me remember which panels I did last, when I last cleaned and protected the interior, etc.

What methods do you use for tracking this stuff? Any detailing-specific, store bought calendars you`ve discovered or do you simply keep a handwritten log? Thanks!

Bobby G
07-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Maybe we should make an Autopia feature that lets you log your work and remind you of services that need to be done???

laynlow
07-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Maybe we should make an Autopia feature that lets you log your work and remind you of services that need to be done???

Awesome idea David, I subscribe to some automotive maintenance services that send you an email listing services due. That would be cool if Autopia had a similar detail service. :xyxthumbs

2wheelsx2
07-08-2002, 12:51 PM
That`s a great idea, DavidB. People can log on and plan what they want to do in the next few weeks, and see what they have done and which panels, etc. Would help in showing newbie`s how to get started too. This would likely reduce the number of "How often should I do this?" and "Is my method ok?" type questions.

Redcar GUY
07-08-2002, 12:51 PM
I keep track of my Zaino coats along with oil changes and tire rotations. I have found that it is verry nice to have all the info on hand (keep it on the laptop) but in the same way it is alomst depressing to see what you spend on products and also the time you spend on car care........

spotter
07-08-2002, 01:48 PM
I keep an excel spreadsheet with every penny I spend on my cars for the life of the car. Gas, oil, maintenance, tools, detail expenses, etc. I keep track of different categories - gas, routine maintenance, repairs, equipment, and detailing. Tracking the total all inclusive cost of my vehicles is what makes me such a big fan of my Hondas.

imported_seres
07-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

This would be an awesome feature!! :up :up

Kleanride
07-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Maybe make it Palm Pilot compatible?!?!? That would be rad! :xyxthumbs

Polere
07-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Well, I just geeked out. I set up my detailing calendar through Yahoo! I`ve scheduled washes/waxes/interior tasks through October!

If Autopia were to incorporate a more "detail oriented" :D calendar, I would switch over in a heartbeat. I concur about David B`s great suggestion!

Here`s the link to Yahoo! calendar (http://calendar.yahoo.com/)

Steve @ Guru
07-08-2002, 06:16 PM
I keep a little pocket sized notebook in each of our cars, and we record:

Gas (gallons, miles, mpg)

Maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, tune-ups, etc)

Washings

Waxings

Full Details

etc.

Pretty handy, and it helps a ton when you go to sell your car - the buyer realizes that you probably "took good care" of the vehicle.

I vote for a Palm/CE application as well! I`d be willing to help write parts of it.

shaf
07-08-2002, 06:33 PM
I bought an elastic-bound "log book" for my car a few months back and it`s sitting on my desk covered in receipts, milage figures, and basically a complete maintenance history all written on tiny scraps of paper! :p

Detailing NY
07-08-2002, 06:55 PM
i use quicken pro for the business and it keeps track of every invoice for me on every detail that i do. For some it would be very helpful, but for other a waste of money. If you dont have alot of cars go out and get a note book or palm pilot.

what is great with the palm pilot, you can set alarms for dates and it will remind you that it is time for your next waxing or full detail.

tkr128
07-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Hm...that`s a great idea! I`ve been keeping track of everytime i get gas or get maintenance, so why not keep track of when I wash the car and wax it?