PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic bumper repair

Taxlady
07-08-2002, 01:43 AM
My neighbour bumped the front driver`s side bumper of my Volvo. She was extremely embarrassed and it isn`t much to see, so it`s not a big deal. In fact, it`s exactly where it had been bumped before. I can tell, because there was a crumby job of covering up done. It looks like specks of dirt. I think the old cover up flaked off a bit. The bumper is dark grey plastic or similar.

Any suggestions?

Lemonxxs
07-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Hmmmmmm.....Dented or not?

If not try the touch up procedure it may work...

Any pics???

Detailing NY
07-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Is the bumper clear coated or is it a textured grey bumper. I have seen some volvo with a textured grey bumper on it.

Do you have some pix, i might be able to walk you through the repair if i can see the bumper

NYD

Taxlady
07-08-2002, 09:46 PM
No dent. I guess you would call it textured grey. I don`t think it`s clear coated, `cause there is no shine at all. I`ll take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Detailing NY
07-09-2002, 02:40 PM
once i see the pix i will be able to help you.

If there is no dent, and it is just scuffed sem`s make a product that will work great for the bumper

NYD

Taxlady
07-09-2002, 09:46 PM
http://users.iGlide.net/taxlady/pix/Volvo/bumper01.JPG

http://users.iGlide.net/taxlady/pix/Volvo/bumper02.JPG

In the first photo there is a black spot with a light centre. That`s where a previous owner tried to cover up a scratch with something black. The dark area is the grey cover up attempt.

I know it looks a bit dented, but I felt it and it`s not dented, just a bit rough. The light parts are what`s new.

Detailing NY
07-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Ok, here is what i would do.

the part of the bumper looks like it is grey textured. You can do two things.

1. That part may be sold seperatly then the bumper, you can just buy a new piece for it, but it could end up costing some good money, that may not be worth it

2. Go to you local body shop supply store, show them the bumper for a color match and ask them for a product called

"SEM" bumper spray.

SEM is the manufactur of the paint. I use this all the time for the ford explorer, chevy cavilliers and just about anything else that has a textured bumper. It matches perfect and you just need to tape off the bumper so you dont get any over spray.

The can only cost about $8.00

If you cant find it, just send me a better shot of the bumper and a close up shot of the textured part and i will get you a can of it and ship it to you.

hope this helps

NYD

Taxlady
07-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I`ll go to the Volvo dealership and see about the replacement textured bit. It`s gotta be worth finding out if that is do-able, and if so, how much it would cost. I`ll also try to find a body shop and see if they sell SEM here in Quebec. :bow

Detailing NY
07-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Glad i could help, if they dont sell sem, let me know i can get you a bottle of it.