PDA

View Full Version : questions on where to buy pads

mhsu408
07-08-2002, 12:27 AM
I`ve used your search option for the past 7 days and still have a few questions.

I just purchased the Coastal Tools PC 7424 Bonus Kit (includes the "hook & loop backing pad").

Here are my questions:

1) Is this "hook and loop backing pad" the same thing that CMA offers?

2) If it is, would i be able to just buy the the yellow pad/lambswool pad/etc. alone, instead of buying the whole CMA kit?

3) Also, where would be the best place to buy my extra pads (cutting pad, etc.)?

Andre'
07-08-2002, 12:38 AM
1. Yes it is.

2. Yes you can.

3. CMA or a local automotive paint supplie shop.:up

mhsu408
07-08-2002, 12:48 AM
so far i have the following pads for use with my PC:

1. Backing pad from COASTAL TOOLS

2. 4 6" Foam Polishing Pads

3. 6" counterweight

What other pads are necessary?

Should i buy the grey, terry bonnet, lambswool, etc pads?

If so how many of each should i purchase?

Also, what are essential towels to have? All i have now are a bunch of terry towels that have been put in the wash with powder detergent. I read that powder detergent is bad for it. Does that mean i need a new set of towels?

Andre'
07-08-2002, 01:19 AM
Slow down your going to fast. First you need to learn what the pads are for, then you can determine if you need them all or only one or two of them.

The grey pad from CMA is for application of sealants and wax.

The white pad from CMA is for light polishing. You can use it with a SMR or paint cleanser or polishes like them.

The Yellow pad if for light compounding, use it with FI2 or any fine compound.

The wool pad is for more aggressive compounding.

MX racer
07-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Couldn`t you use the yellow pad w/ SMR if you have pretty bad scratches, but don`t want to step up to the FI or PI-RC at first (you know the old addage, start w/ least abrasive).

ClayBartrug
07-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by tblythe

Couldn`t you use the yellow pad w/ SMR if you have pretty bad scratches, but don`t want to step up to the FI or PI-RC at first (you know the old addage, start w/ least abrasive).

The yellow pad is the cutting pad, a more aggressive approach. I`ve been told to be careful with these, especially in the hands of a novice. Use SMR with the polishing pad first (white), then if necessary move to the yellow pad with SMR or FI-II.

I bought the same PC as you...and I picked up the following pads from CMA recently, for starters:

2 polishing pads

2 finishing pads

1 cutting pad

1 lambswool pad

2 terry bonnets

The lambswool is for very aggressive treatments. I bought it, for now, only to use the terry bonnets on top of... For buffing and residue removal, and to get the final shine! Good luck!

MX racer
07-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Would I use #7 Show Car Glaze with a white or gray pad?

ClayBartrug
07-08-2002, 12:08 PM
I would think white. But perhaps some of the experts can chime in...

ClayBartrug
07-08-2002, 12:16 PM
from CMA`s site...

White Polishing Pad - The most often used pad. This pad has a mild cutting (cleaning) action and should be used to apply polish and/or wax to newer vehicles with or without a clear coat finish.

Use this pad for polishing with Meguiar`s No. 3 Machine Glaze, No. 9 Swirl Remover, Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner and applying one-step cleaner/wax/protectant products like Meguiar`s No. 6 Cleaner Wax, Medallion Premium Paint Protection and Klasse All-In-One.

Use white pads to apply one-step products like Klasse All-In-One.

You should not use the same pad to apply both polish and wax. If you are performing both steps you should use one pad for polishing and another pad for waxing.

Grey Finishing Pad - This pad has no cutting or cleaning action. It should be used to apply the finish coat of wax or to layer one product on top of another.

Use the White Pad to apply Klasse All-In-One and then follow with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze using the Grey pad.

Always use the Grey Pad when building up multiple layers of wax or surface protectants.

MX racer
07-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Hummm...but polishes and glazes are different. Polishes need some cutting action since they do slightly have swirl removing properties, while glazes merely fill the swirls. They contain no swirl REMOVING properties, only filling, therefore I would think I should use gray pads for #7 and #26, or would this be incorrect?

ClayBartrug
07-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by tblythe

Hummm...but polishes and glazes are different. Polishes need some cutting action since they do slightly have swirl removing properties, while glazes merely fill the swirls. They contain no swirl REMOVING properties, only filling, therefore I would think I should use gray pads for #7 and #26, or would this be incorrect?

i think you`re fine with both... experiment. neither will do harm!

MX racer
07-08-2002, 12:45 PM
Yeah...true. They say the white has mild cutting action...hehe, but I don`t think it`s strong enough to claim cutting action. It may work the product into the surface more (which is why you have to use gray to layer waxes)...but the main difference is that the gray gives more of a gloss or shine.