PDA

View Full Version : Help removing these imperfections! pic inside

imported_donavin629
07-07-2002, 06:09 PM
If you check a little lower on this forum, you`ll see that I`m following a long detailing plan. Right now, I`m on step 3, 3M SMR.

I used it about 3 or 4 times on the hood, and once on the trunk. In one area of the trunk (the one in the pic, I used it about 3 times).

Could someone identify the blemishes in the pic, and how they can be removed? Right now it really seems impossible with the SMR. I know it takes a lot of work, but I worked it in there about 3 more times (in that one section) and I didn`t get results. BTW, I`m doing this by hand.

HellrotCi
07-07-2002, 06:57 PM
BTW, I`m doing this by handThat`s why you`re not getting good results. You need the speed of the PC to break down the SMR so it will remove the swirls.

imported_Intel486
07-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Those are swirls. For hand use them you may want to step up to a little more abrasive compound to help you cut through the swirls. It doesn`t matter that it is more abrasive because using it by hand you won`t be removing a lot of paint. Then you can apply your polish by hand to get rid of the haze created by the more abrasive compound.

imported_donavin629
07-07-2002, 07:45 PM
Hellrot, I`ve read so much about how good a PC is but personally, I don`t have the money to buy it. thanks though...

Intel, that is the answer I was looking for. I`m going with Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. That shoul do the trick. Afterward, I`m going to use SMR again to smoothen out any micro-marrings.

Thunderingbird
07-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by TurDz

Hellrot, I`ve read so much about how good a PC is but personally, I don`t have the money to buy it. thanks though...

Intel, that is the answer I was looking for. I`m going with Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. That shoul do the trick. Afterward, I`m going to use SMR again to smoothen out any micro-marrings. Good luck! I used 3m fine cut rubbing compound with a PC and it did not remove all of my marks! Your hood looks to be in about the same shape mine was. I got most of it out but there are still some marks, and that was after working it for about an hour and a half with a PC! I have a Dewalt 849 on the way. I should have bought it to begin with but opted for the PC. I dont know maybe its just me but I feel the PC is over rated. Maybe because I cut my teeth on a rotary buffer 23 years ago.

imported_donavin629
07-07-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Thunderingbird

Good luck! I used 3m fine cut rubbing compound with a PC and it did not remove all of my marks! Your hood looks to be in about the same shape mine was. I got most of it out but there are still some marks, and that was after working it for about an hour and a half with a PC! I have a Dewalt 849 on the way. I should have bought it to begin with but opted for the PC. I dont know maybe its just me but I feel the PC is over rated. Maybe because I cut my teeth on a rotary buffer 23 years ago.

I used it today, got to PepBoys at 5:58pm, right before they closed. I found the Fine Cut RC, and it worked very well. I had a little bit of direct sunlight left to work with, and the more I used Fine Cut, the better the results. After that, I used 3M SMR again to get rid of any visible marring. Result? The swirls and/or minor scratches have been reduced by a lot. I can`t notice them at all anymore unless I look very carefully.

I only used it on the trunk lid, small rear spoiler, and hood. I just felt those were the main problems of the car. I feel that the sides and the top are in very good condition. Should I just leave them as they are, or should I use SMR to "even" out any imperfections before washing tomorrow with Meguiar`s Gold Class Shampoo and starting the Klasse twins?

corvettez
07-08-2002, 05:05 AM
I would SMR the rest of the car if you can and that way you`ll be starting with fairly equal ground all the way around in terms of how you prepped the car. This will also asure you that you didn`t miss anything. I polished by hand before I got a PC and I just want to say you did the right thing:up by stepping up to a more abbrasive polish to get the results you wanted. Doing it by hand can be rewarding but in some cases you do have to step it up a notch to get it done, sounds like you`re just about there:up

imported_donavin629
07-08-2002, 05:21 AM
thanks for the encouragement. After seeing some swirls on my roof, I did one coat of Fine Cut, and one coat of SMR. I`ll take your advice to do the sides, and the rear bumper tomorrow morning., but only with one coat of SMR. Just to get the surface nice and even, and any small blemishes look a little more "uniform."

corvettez
07-08-2002, 05:26 AM
You might be better off in the long run and you`ll have a good feel for what you have, paint wise. I really like the Fine Cut, it`s a lot more versatile than its name might lead you to believe.

imported_donavin629
07-08-2002, 06:11 AM
well here`s a concern of mine...

I did at least 3 coats of SMG and 2 coats of Fine Cut on the hood. The order was, 2 coats of SMG, next day, used FC twice, and topped off with a last coat of SMG.

For the trunk, I did just about the same.

Should I still proceed with a single layer of SMR on the sides, rear quarter panels, and bumpers?

corvettez
07-08-2002, 07:03 AM
Well, it depends. If you are satisfied with the level of quality of your paint and you are familiar with every panel and know the condition of each one then you may be good to go on. Or if you have areas that need more attention before sealing or waxing but you`d just like to get through it to enjoy what you`ve done so far and will go back to those areas later, either way, evaluate and decide. You can always do a panel at a time over a period of time.