PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility of various QD brands with Zaino?

KWANG-SEOK
07-06-2002, 10:32 PM
I just read a thread on the Corvette Forum from a Zaino "distributor" who claims that only Z-6 (the Zaino QD) can be used with a Zainoed car because other QDs contain oils which will prevent the Zaino from sticking. I personally use Zaino exclusively as my sealant of choice, but I use a wide variety of QD`s (Mother`s, Eagle One, Meguiar`s) in addition to Z-6. I`ve never had a problem with Zaino "sticking" after using any of my QD sprays, but then again, my car isn`t a daily driver, so the durability of my sealant isn`t really pushed. My question is...which QDs will and will not work with Zaino?

C. Charles Hahn
07-06-2002, 10:33 PM
There are only two other QDs I trust with Zaino, aside from Z6.

1) Mothers Showtime Instant Detailer.

2) Meguiar`s #34 Final Inspection.

both work fine. :up

MikeLS
07-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Z6 is always the best bet if it`s available to you, obviously it`s made to work with the Z polishes... The logic behind using other QD sprays with Z is that most sprays contain mainly silicone, carnauba wax, or both! Of course, the whole Zaino philosophy is anti-silicone, as you probably already know. Z will not bond to silicones, oils, or other waxes. That being said, as SLD pointed out above there are a very few varieties that can work without much trouble. There are a few body shop pro sprays that are supposedly wax and silicone free, like the Meguiar`s, Clay Magic Pro Line, etc... Of course, nothing or noone says you absolutely CAN NOT use any other spray, it`s just that it`s more likely to create a mess or interfere with the Z polymer system depending on what you use.

:wavey

jkochis
07-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Also keep in mind that most QD`s are extremely limited in how long they last. If you were to wash on Saturday, QD, then wash again the following Saturday, you would probably be fine to rewax no matter what QD you used.

If you think it lasts more than a week, and survives a wash afterwards, please let me know which QD you use!!!

thevolvoguy
07-07-2002, 07:30 PM
I seccond what Shiny said. I always use either Mothers or Meguiars. :xyxthumbs

imported_JeffBruce
07-07-2002, 07:33 PM
What if you top Zaino with Pinnacle Souvran. Will any QD work?

jeff

shaf
07-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Wow, this certainly is interesting! It seems like a few cheap consumer-grade quick detailers are compatible with sealants like Zaino and Klasse and not just FI. So far the list I have includes:

Meguiars #34 Final Inspection

Eagle One WET Wipe n Shine

Mothers Showtime Instant Detailer

Matching proprietary sprays (Z6, Sonus)

Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl is kinda iffy... comments?

Feel free to correct me on any of these. I know the Mothers was a big question mark with Klasse for a long while but it sounds good now (between the 2 of you and Forrest`s info). I`ll probably be using that from now on. :up

Just watch, we`ll find out Meguiars Quik Detailer is OK next. :D

Jeffbruce, if you mean will any QD work with the Pinnacle layer, I`d say yes since wax isn`t picky like a sealant is. Unless I`m misinterpreting your question :nixweiss

KWANG-SEOK
07-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Just watch, we`ll find out Meguiars Quik Detailer is OK next. :D

:confused:

Forgive my ignorance, but I`m not sure why this is funny. I`ve generally had good results when applying Zaino on top of Meguiar`s Quik Detailer. I`ve since moved to other QDs (like Mother`s and Eagle One), but the Meguiar`s is very easy to come by, and since it seemed to work fine, I figured why not use it?

How are you guys judging incompatibility, anyway? Although Z-6 streaks the least, I seldom have serious streaking problems with any of the QDs I use.

shaf
07-07-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Schwa72

:confused:

Forgive my ignorance, but I`m not sure why this is funny. I`ve generally had good results when applying Zaino on top of Meguiar`s Quik Detailer. Ah, well now, that IS interesting! Very interesting. I just thought that it would be the least likely to work since I`m pretty sure I`ve never read about anyone using it or recommending it for use with sealants.

I kind of said it half-jokingly since the trend very much seems to be becoming that any QD that doesn`t explicitly say it contains wax (like Crystal Mist) will work. I`d be very happy to find out Quik Detailer is compatible too!

KWANG-SEOK
07-08-2002, 12:07 AM
Well, I`ll be the first to admit that I never strictly follow the "Zaino application rules." For example, I often touch up minor areas of my car with my PC and 3M SMR. Conventional wisdom has it that the car must be Dawn-washed before Zaino can be reapplied to these areas, but I`ve had very good success by simply dousing the SMRed area with the cheap Meguiar`s QD twice, wiping off any excess SMR/QD, and reapplying my Zaino. The QD seems to adequately clean the SMR`s oils off of the polished area because it sure is squeaky clean when I`m done. I always apply three coats of Zaino to any area that`s been polished with abrasives, and since I don`t use ZFX, this takes me three days to complete due to cure times. However, I get good results using this method. For me, it`s just not feasable to Dawn-wash the car every time I SMR a small area. Durability isn`t my primary concern since my car is a garage queen, but my car certainly is super-slick and the Zaino seems to be holding up just fine.

I guess what I`m getting at is that if I followed Sal`s rules to the "T" I wouldn`t be using other, inferior QDs either. However, I do things a little differently, and since Meguiar`s Quik Detailer seems to be working okay, I thought I`d see what the other Autopians had to say about it. Why don`t I just use Z-6 and not worry about it? Well, it seems that I go through QD rather quickly, and I just hate waiting two weeks for another bottle of Z-6 to arrive. Furthermore, it`s ridiculous to pay $6 shipping charges on a $6 bottle of Z-6. I`ll get more Z-6 once I run out of Z-2/Z-5, but until then...it`s the "other" stuff for me!

thevolvoguy
07-18-2002, 07:28 PM
What about EFCP? I have heard if the QD contains Carnauba it can ruin the Zaino. True?

imported_Dude
07-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Most Carnuba-based QD`s contain only trace amounts of Carnuba anyway. Z7 will strip wax. I know because when my wife got her latest car, I did a Dawn wash, and it did not remove all of the wax. I followed it up with a Z7 wash, and that took care of the rest handily.

I suspect that you can use a wax-based QD so long as you only use it after a wash. If you do it in between coats of Zaino, it will interfere with bonding, but if you only do it after a weekly wash, I am guessing that you will be OK so long as you remove it with a Z7 wash before applying another coat of Zaino.

NewMINICooperS
07-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Schwa72

I guess what I`m getting at is that if I followed Sal`s rules to the "T" I wouldn`t be using other, inferior QDs either. However, I do things a little differently, and since Meguiar`s Quik Detailer seems to be working okay, I thought I`d see what the other Autopians had to say about it. Why don`t I just use Z-6 and not worry about it? Well, it seems that I go through QD rather quickly, and I just hate waiting two weeks for another bottle of Z-6 to arrive. Furthermore, it`s ridiculous to pay $6 shipping charges on a $6 bottle of Z-6. I`ll get more Z-6 once I run out of Z-2/Z-5, but until then...it`s the "other" stuff for me!

ummm...so maybe order a few bottles of z6 at a time - order 4 or 5...i don`t believe they have a shorter shelf life then the other zaino products.

KEVO
07-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Perhaps ya`ll better get into contact with Sal Zaino, as he has said inexpensive detail sprays like Meguiars and Mothers contain polypropylene oil that is not compatible with the Zaino synthetics. Z-6 is twice as concentrated as other brands of QD`s, even cut 50/50 with water as some of my customers do the Z-6 has the same concentration as other detailers. Cut 50/50 with water would work out to 5.00 per Z-6 container so price would not be an issue.