PDA

View Full Version : can`t get sap off

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
07-06-2002, 09:13 PM
ok i used Tarminator on the SGed GN. I sprayed it on spots wherever there were spots. I let it stay there for a minute before wiping off. Well, no success as those sap critters don`t wanna come off. I even rubbed it lightly to get it off but the remains are still there. I was thinking about using Denatured alchy to loosen it up. Will denatured alchy dull the SGed paint?

imported_Intel486
07-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Use a razor blade to scrape off the top of the sap. It`ll expose the soft center if it is fresh. Turpentine will take sap off too.

Remeber to let the chemicals do the work though.

Mass. Wine Guy
07-06-2002, 10:18 PM
I had three rock hard sap spots on my dark green Golf (TDI, that is). Someone here suggested 3M`s adhesive remover. It worked perfectly after soaking a towel, letting it sit a moment, and rubbing back and forth a few times. Didn`t seem to do anything to the paint or finish.

Chinkzilla
07-07-2002, 12:14 AM
I had a nasty spot of sap or two on the car i was detailing today. I wet down a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol and wadded it up over the sap spot. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it had literally disintegrated the sap spot. Slight buffing with a microfiber removed anything left of it. Of course you will have to re-wax or re-seal the area that you`ve done it, but it really does work without being too aggressive.

Andre'
07-07-2002, 02:13 AM
3M`s adhesive cleaner is the first thing i reach for to remove tree sap. It`s just about the perfect product for the job.:)

Brad B
07-07-2002, 03:27 AM
I had tough sap spots just today that CLAY just wisked right off instantly with no problem.

Sometimes chemicals and even abrasives had difficulty with them but the 3 dimensional spots of sap are perfect for clay. :up

Lowejackson
07-07-2002, 05:58 AM
I am with BradB on this one, last week I removed a lot of tree sap from my farthers car with clay. I did try other stuff first but the clay did the job to perfection. Quick and easy :)

Steven

Chinkzilla
07-07-2002, 06:26 AM
Clay is great for small specks of 3d sap that are hardened.. However sometimes you get a large 1/2 inch blob of sap that is still sticky and doesn`t want to budge. This is when you bust out the alcohol! :)

Andre'
07-07-2002, 10:23 PM
I agree clay works well with the small specks of sap, but the big blobs of sap i get from pine or cherry trees can only be removed with a solvent. If the sap is not fully cured and you try to clay the car it will smear like mad.

td_fl
07-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Goof-OFF will also remove sap without damaging your paint. I believe it`s the same as the 3M adhesive remover, but much cheaper. However, these products are not very nice to certain types of plastics, so beware and test it first.

the shine shop
07-08-2002, 07:35 PM
:scared i hate trees,you will do well to use the 3m product and go to a store that supplies body shops a get some plastic razor blades.these are great for knocking off everything from sap to roadpaint.and they won`t dig in to your paint

mike

Blackmirror
07-08-2002, 10:10 PM
i dont get huge spots of sap on my car. Just tiny spots. I notice I can get the hardened sap off with my finger nail too and just buff it off with QD and MF towel. I`ll try the clay next

madman59
07-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Greetings,

I have used Simple Green (full strength) or Windex to break

down pine sap spots and rust inhibator overspray. Both worked

fine. No bad effects.Windex leaves no streaks. Are there any

problems with these products?

Please advise GH

Blackmirror
07-14-2002, 09:55 AM
you used those products on paint?

imported_Intel486
07-14-2002, 04:31 PM
Is simple green non-caustic??? It is a degreaser so i`m not sure you wanna be using it on your paint.