PDA

View Full Version : Buffer- Worth it or not????

Beach15
07-06-2002, 04:03 PM
I know, I know, just get a PC! But, I`m still trying to stretch my money as far as possible and be able to afford some more supplies also, so here`s a question. Would this or something similar be worth it, me having never used on before and just want a "starter":

Craftsman OB on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841603085)

Or anything similar?

Ah, by time I get one I may as well just end up getting a PC. Just checking though...

thevolvoguy
07-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Well I have an orbital buffer that I will sell for $40. Including about 5 bonnets.

EDIT: I just clicked the link, thats way cheap I guess you don`t want mine.

G Money
07-06-2002, 04:16 PM
I don`t think many Autopians would be willing to give up their PC orbital or other type of buffing wheel.

They can do things the hand just can`t duplicate and can save some time when they`re needed.

Andre'
07-07-2002, 02:47 AM
IMHO There not worth a darn, they just don`t have the power to polish correctly. The bonnets ball up under the backing pad and the bonnets just don`t last very long. IMHO Save up the money and buy a PC. :)

Beach15
07-07-2002, 09:54 AM
Yeah, that`s what I thought. It`s just that my arm gets so worn out and I`m drained of energy after hand applying and then buffing off first a coat of Klasse and then Platinum. Actually could afford a PC, but need to start building up more of a profit and stop buying more stuff!

Ah, if I wan`t such a perfectionist...but you have to be when detailing a car! It`s really an art and you must know what you`re doing, not just a quick and easy thing.

One of the main reasons I`d like to get a PC some day is added ease and a cut in time. That, and I`ve been lucky none of the cars I`ve done so far have needed any kind of deep cleaning or swirl removal.

Chuckmotor
07-07-2002, 10:26 AM
ejant, you`re a nut! Good observations!

As far as the buffer, that particular one is a good deal if that`s what you really want (assuming the price will stay relatively down). I have one similar to that (maybe the same one), and to be honest, it was ok for applying wax. It can`t do much for swirls or even general polishing. A while back, I finally saved up for the Porter Cable. It is hundreds of times more useful. If you`re a perfectionist, then you can`t be without one. Better results, less time, a wider range of products-- it pays of itself!

samiam513
07-07-2002, 10:59 AM
I getting the PC today i think. Tired of my craftsman. It sucks.Slows under pressure easily. I need somthing stronger.

samiam513
07-07-2002, 11:10 AM
ejant, do you make chiesels or somthin? You sell alot according to the feedback.

imported_Indy YZF
07-07-2002, 11:15 AM
Before my PC, I had one of those Sears orbitals...It lasted me several years, and is decent at applying and removing wax...But, its next to useless at working with polishes to remove surface damage...its just too weak. the PC produces 6K orbits per minute...The Sears I believe is less than half. Also, the sears vibrates your arm off; the PC doesnt.