PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Excalibur Carnauba Wax by Turtle Wax?

shaf
07-06-2002, 06:19 AM
I was in a dollar store today and just for kicks I bought a 16oz bottle of something called Excalibur Carnauba Wax Cleaner Polish.

Only on the back at the bottom it shows the origin as Turtle Wax (1996) and gives their web address. It says "The perfect wax for those who insist on perfection" and mentions combining silicone polymer chemistry with Brazillian carnauba wax. And it does describe its fine polishing agents, etc, etc. Overall the product itself sounds and looks impressive, as does its fancy purple/magenta bottle.

Here`s a picture I managed to find from a Russian webstore! It actually looks better in person with its gold accents and "E" logo.

http://www.agah.ru/img/t7.gif

I bought it because it was cheap, but don`t know on what car I`m going to test it on... Might also make good stuff to use on friends` cars or as gifts...

Anyone remember this stuff or know anything about it? Could it be a GC competitor or a failed marketing experiment like Liquid Crystal? :nixweiss

ALAN81
07-06-2002, 06:26 AM
i`ve seen it at the store but never used it.That item has been around for years!

Kleanride
07-06-2002, 07:06 AM
A couple months ago I was looking thru some of my old Mini Truckin` Magazines and there was a write up of that stuff in one of them. It was probably about a 1995 issue or so.

Anyhoot, I know that there are people out there that swear up and down by that stuff; about 6 weeks ago on eBay I saw a case of that stuff that had a ton of bids on it. Never tried it, but it must do something right!:nixweiss

corvettez
07-06-2002, 07:09 AM
I`ve heard of it but never had the oppurtunity to try it. Based on the description you probably would not be able to layer it but it might be one of those "have to try" products, maybe it`s phrase or label that lures you in initially. You just need a car to try it on.

forrest@mothers
07-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Excalibur was one of Turtle`s early tries at a premium, step up wax.

It`s been gone a while - you can tell the approximate age by looking at the copyright date on the back label - I`d guess it`s over 5 years old.

shaf
07-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just bought it incase I need a non-sealant one step wax sometime. In retrospect maybe I should have got a couple more. How bad could it be anyway? Sounds like a good replacement for using a separate cleaner step because it sounds kinda strong in that department.

EDIT: The age of some products doesn`t seem to bug me much. This one says 1996. In our basement there`s 10 year old products that still seem to work just the same, and they`ve been stored near the ceiling...

thevolvoguy
07-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Try it out and post pics. Im interested in what TW top of the line stuff will do. :wavey

shaf
07-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by thevolvoguy

Try it out and post pics. Im interested in what TW top of the line stuff will do. :wavey Err.... I`ll try, but I still don`t know where to use it unless a friend doesn`t mind being a guinea pig. Both cars in my family are covered in some kind of sealant so no go here... Keep in mind this stuff was discontinued! :D

I`ll see what happens. I always try to post my results of using little-known products. :)

corvettez
07-08-2002, 04:43 AM
As a quick test, you could do one panel of one of your vehicles and make your observations and then just re-apply AIO and go from there. Not really a lot of work or a big upset in what might be your routine and it will allow you to find out about what you have there.