PDA

View Full Version : Protectant for black plastic cladding/bumpers

eldon
07-05-2002, 06:08 PM
Anyone know of a good product for the above aplication? The 02 CRV uses a black hard plastic material for bumpers and cladding/ roof rack rails. It is not quite a matt black, but seems to have some kind of plastic sheen. I was thinking Klasse AIO. Any suggestions or products ideal for this application? I don`t think a product like Vinylex would work as it looks like the bumpers are sealed plastic.

Thanks in advance...

imported_Intel486
07-05-2002, 06:13 PM
If it won`t absorb a protectant like Vinylex, then you need to wax it. AIO would be a good choice.

aljo
07-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Use anything that is good for the inside of your car. I use Simoniz interior care on all of my mouldings. It makes it shine, its easy to apply and it lasts long.

If you moulding/bumpers ar rubber, then use Mothers Back-to-Black.

imported_BretFraz
07-05-2002, 06:19 PM
If the cladding has a texture I would not apply anything that resembles a wax as the carrier agents will get into the grain and make a holy mess of things.

I`ve always use water-based dressings like Vinylex or 303 for cladding. It will be hard to make them look "good" because water-based dressings will wash off and might streak during rain storms. Oil based dressings will be worse.

Maybe something like Meguairs Endurance is the trick. That stuff will hold up to rain and maybe car washes.

Is there a diff in cladding between EX and LX CRV`s? I`ll try to have a look at one and get a better idea of what will work. But it might need a little experimentation on your part.

eldon
07-06-2002, 01:49 AM
bretfraz- I don`t think there is any difference between the trim levels here in the U.S.

I have used Vinylex for the bumpers on the 01 before, they are a similiar material but grey. As soon as they get wet, the product runs. They have a lightly pebbled finish, maybe the AIO would do the trick. I guess I`ll test it on an inconspicuous area.

Rue
07-06-2002, 02:06 AM
I like using Bumper Renew from Top of the Line. I have been using it on my 91 Honda CRX`s black trim. It lasts though 3-4 washes and makes the bumpers look new but not too shiny. It is a thick liquid so it goes on easy plus it is priced right.

ULUA.LAWAIA
07-06-2002, 02:37 AM
You can try Black Again, which I believe was discontinued for a while then brought back by popular demand, by a different manufacturer.

I`ve tried Vinylex and Stoner Trim Shine on my plastic cladding, and Black Again seemed to absorb better than the other two. It seems that with solid, non-porous plastic parts, it`s always hard to get product to sit on it smoothly, but Black Again worked well for me.

By the way, the name might be misleading, because it`s not just for black parts. It`s a clear gel that can be applied to any color plastic.

Here`s the description on the bottle:

"A rich 3-in-1 polymer formula that cleans, renews and protects all color exterior trim. Removes oxidation and unsightly wax residue. Protects against sun. Use on: smooth and textured surfaces, bumpers, trim, louvers, air vents, wiper arms, tires, mud guards, door handles."

Kleanride
07-06-2002, 07:16 AM
You could try Black Renew by Wizards.. :xyxthumbs

imported_Indy YZF
07-06-2002, 09:23 AM
a product called Black Chrome does the best job of all I have tried at covering/removing any white wax smears on the black plastic trim pieces.

spotter
07-08-2002, 09:34 AM
My wife has a 2002 CRV-EX and I just detailed her car over the 4th and used Blackfire on the paint and 303 on the black cladding. It looks great. I will report back about any streaking or dripping when the 303 gets wet or washed. It still looks great after 3 days but has not been wet.

DAC17
07-08-2002, 08:25 PM
You might also try Meguiar`s #40 Professional Rubber and Trim Protectant. Leaves a nice black finish and seems to last through several car washes.

Dmelton12
07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
I`ve tried BLACK AGAIN on my customer`s vehicles. Works great for those luggage carriers on top that is really faded. Next best thing to sliced bread.