PDA

View Full Version : Curing/Application times....

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
07-05-2002, 04:01 PM
The times seem to vary from person to person, but I figure I`ll take all the responses that I get and average them out to a number......So here`s the question....

What are the approximate curing times FOR 1 COAT of the following(in no particular order):

1) Pinnacle Souveran (not Paste Glaz or Liquid Souveran)

2) Klasse All-In-One

3) Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

4) Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

5) 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

6) 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars

Please give the time that you let them cure and why..... Basically I`m just trying to see if my car is gonna have to spend the night in the neighbors garage (seeing as I don`t have one :mad:) for the night..... I have heard some outrageous times and some very skimpy times, but I want to know what`s right..... Let`s hear it ladies and gents...

2wheelsx2
07-05-2002, 04:14 PM
I`ll let someone else speak for the others, but for 4, 5, and 6, no curing times are needed. They are all cleaners/polishes with or without oils and fillers. Just work in and buff off.

medic
07-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Haven`t used my K twins yet as I`ve been using up the platinum samples i have, but these are the times I`m going to follow since I don`t have a garage to store my ride in. I follow the SG times for my UPP and it looks great.

AIO no time to "cure" - wipe on and off

SG, let it site for at least 20 minutes to an hour before buffing off (depends on how sore my arm is), and then wait 24 hours to cure before putting on another coat.

imported_Intel486
07-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by medic

AIO no time to "cure" - wipe on and off

SG, let it site for at least 20 minutes to an hour before buffing off (depends on how sore my arm is), and then wait 24 hours to cure before putting on another coat.

To get the protective coating out of AIO you need to apply it just like SG. Let it sit for an hour, then buff off, and let cure.

imported_BretFraz
07-05-2002, 06:37 PM
No more than a minute or two for curing of Souveran, just enough time for the evaporants to disperse.

If you let Souveran set up you will need a chisel and a blow torch to remove it. Wipe it on a small section, when you are done with application, take it off. It`s that simple.

mrdetailer
07-05-2002, 07:53 PM
3M Imperial Hand Glaze and 3M Swirl Remover for dark cars are applied until the glaze starts to come up. It essentially removes itself when the finished. I usually work 2 X 2 foot areas. Any larger makes the remainder hard to remove.

ExplorerXLT95
07-13-2002, 10:47 PM
So in direct response to my original post, the times are thus:

1) Pinnacle Souveran - 1-2 minutes

2) Klasse All-In-One - 0 mins

3) Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze - 20-60 mins (24 hours between coats)

4) Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion - 0 mins

5) 3M Imperial Hand Glaze - 0 mins

6) 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars - 0 mins

But how long between coats of Pinnacle Souveran and coats of AIO (or does one do just fine??).....

VetteToVair
07-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Intel486,

on the back of AIO it says "no drying time necessary" :nixweiss

imported_Intel486
07-13-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by stanger99

Intel486,

on the back of AIO it says "no drying time necessary" :nixweiss

That is what someone here told me. I hate relaying false information. I`ll have to find who posted that to me.

On the back of Klasse AIO it also saies, "See User`s Guide" Has anyone found a way to get it?

VetteToVair
07-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Intel,

I`m still waiting on some kind of klasse master from germany to come out from hiding because i have a few questions for him.

shaf
07-14-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by stanger99

Intel,

I`m still waiting on some kind of klasse master from germany to come out from hiding because i have a few questions for him. Good luck, these guys have been waiting for a Meguiars rep to come out of the woodwork for.... well, forever! :p

corvettez
07-14-2002, 07:37 AM
I`ve had good luck following the directions that came with the Klasse twins. An orange double sided card, in addition to what the bottles say. The AIO I`ve always put on and then remove with no curing or set up time and then do a second layer right after the first. There have been debates in the past over the effectiveness of two layers of AIO as far as that goes and IMO there is a difference between one and two layers. I have had to walk away from freshly applied AIO and come back to it and had to work to remove it, (approximately one hour). I would not be surprised if someone came on and touted how leaving AIO on for some extended period of time worked out well for them and if I remember correctly, I think YoSteve once posted that he does his whole car with AIO and then goes back and removes it. The SG seems to benefit more from a longer setup time, an hour is good if you can wait that long and I’ve never let it sit over night. What does appear to matter with the SG is that you have at least twenty four hours between layers for better curing and bonding between layers as opposed to multiple layers in on day.

ExplorerXLT95
07-14-2002, 10:34 AM
So, lemme get this straight....

Pinnacle Souveran has a setup (before buffing) time of 1-2 minutes and a curing (between coats) time of 12-48 hours.

Klasse All-In-One has a setup (before buffing) time of 0 minutes and a curing (between coats) time of 0 minutes.

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze has a setup (before buffing) time of 1 hour and a curing (between coats) time of 24 hours.

Would everyone pretty much agree with this?

PS: Anybody got any ideas on how to keep the car dust/dirt/bird bomb free without a garage?? I was thinking of buying a very large tarp from a hardware store....lemme know...

corvettez
07-14-2002, 10:51 AM
Regarding the Klasse SG, You might find that you like the results of three layers back to back in on day with twenty minutes setup time each layer. You can try it both ways and see what suits you best and or see if you notice a difference in the end result. :)

shaf
07-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by v85097

Regarding the Klasse SG, You might find that you like the results of three layers back to back in on day with twenty minutes setup time each layer. You can try it both ways and see what suits you best and or see if you notice a difference in the end result. :) You know, I just remembered something that struck me as a bit strange when I was repainting my moldings. On the can of spray paint it said, "Apply second coat within one hour, or after 24 hours has elapsed." or something like that.

Food for thought....

Explorer, I`d generally agree with those times except for Souveran which I have no clue. I have also read that it is better for SG (in both performance and ease of removal) if you let it sit as long as possible before buffing. Especially if you have a heavy coat. I tried this once on my hood, and a heavier coat does actually remove easier with about 12 hours drying. I wouldn`t do this for my whole car though since like you, I don`t have a garage.