PDA

View Full Version : Why not WB40

harrybar
07-05-2002, 09:02 AM
Recently, I used several cleaning stuff on my wheels and engine compartment, both of them are pretty nasty. I tried EF Hi-Intensity, Sonus Gel Wheel, P21S Total Auto Wash. All of them worked in certain degree, but none took all the grease and dust, even with quite a scratch. Meanwhile, I was using WB40 to clean the door hinge (in house), it worked wonderfully. This makes me wonder whether I can WB40 on those difficult parts on the wheels and engine.

Any advice and thoughts?

ALAN81
07-05-2002, 09:05 AM
ISNT IT WD-40???????????????????????????????

BradE
07-05-2002, 09:07 AM
You can use it, but be very careful where you use it. WD40 is flammable so I would not use it near any sources of high heat.

harrybar
07-05-2002, 09:13 AM
Alan, it is WD-40...;) , sorry

SL, thank you for your advice. I was a bit concerned about the temperature under the hood. Any other issues than that? Will WD-40 cause any problem on the rubber part?

samiam513
07-05-2002, 09:16 AM
WD-40 is flamable. Kids up to no good use it with a lighter as a blow torch. ( I never did that. ;) ) If it his a hot part of the engine, and it ignites, it will be very hard to get it out due to all the oil in there. If it pools around bolt or somthing then you go driving :sosad

I just cleaned my engine compartment the other night. I used Simple Green dilutes 1/4 with water and sprayed it on, let it sit, wa```` it off, spray it on, ,and take a soft/medium bristle bruch and get scrubbing. It took me about two hours, but the results were astonishing.

Steve @ Guru
07-05-2002, 10:26 AM
My only concern with using the WD40 would be dust attraction - after a while, the solvent will evaoprate, leaving a light layer of oil, which would attract dust and possibly look smearry - just a thought, but you`re right - WD40 is an excellent cleaner.

Man, I wish I`d have been the one who invented WD40... :D

shaf
07-05-2002, 01:08 PM
I personally wouldn`t let it touch rubber. It`ll leave oil behind when it evaporates and both oil and the solvents that carried it are hard on non-neoprene rubber.

imported_Intel486
07-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Is WD-40 flammable when it is a liquid on a surface (like after it has been sprayed)? I have never tried lighting that. I use WD-40 on the electrical stuff in the engine compartment because it displaces water.

imported_Tony
07-05-2002, 02:23 PM
I believe wd 40 is about 90% kerosene. Did you ever hear of a kerosene lamp. Its not too bad/ fireman use to wash their trucks with water and a little kerosene.

imported_dl9589
07-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

Is WD-40 flammable when it is a liquid on a surface (like after it has been sprayed)? I have never tried lighting that. I use WD-40 on the electrical stuff in the engine compartment because it displaces water.

It is definitly flammable even as a liquid, at my old job we would go in the back and find all the spiders crawling around, spray them with WD-40 then light them on fire...very flammable.