PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable polishers on eBay $115.00

TurboMan
07-05-2002, 04:18 AM
Hi gang,

I just noticed that a company called LaPollo`s Tools is unloading a bunch (qty. 50) of the infamous Porter Cable sander/polisher kits (part #7336SP). It`s the same tool as the 7424, but with sanding disks (the "SP" code means it comes with a free polishing back and foam pad). See it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034648135

Here`s the description on eBay:

---begin quote---

Porter Cable Variable-Speed Random-Orbit Sander and Polishing ( 6" ) * 3.7 Amp, AC only * Electronic variable-speed dial 2,500-6,000 OPM * Random, swirl-free sanding action * Spiral/bevel gears 100% ball bearings * Standard Equipment: Sander, polishing pad #54745, 80G disc, 100G disc, 120G disc, 150G disc, wrench # 48779, and operating manual.

---end quote---

I don`t personally know this dude, but his feedback is really good. In any case, it`s one of the best prices I`ve seen so far (only $12 shipping!). And this kit comes with the sanding back and discs as well, so you can REALLY get those swirl marks out quickly ;-).

Aloha,

Keoni

PS. Quick, the auction ends 9 hours from now.

imported_dl9589
07-05-2002, 05:42 AM
You can pick them up at your local Lowes store for $109.00

marktheshark
07-05-2002, 08:08 AM
I got mine delivered from Coastal Tools for less than that.

Tonster
07-05-2002, 10:45 AM
7336SP @ Lowes 109.00 all day long. But if you are somewhere with no Lowes that is a pretty decent deal. Thanks for the heads-up.

TurboMan
07-05-2002, 11:32 AM
Wow, I didn`t realize that it got that low! The only reference point for me was CMA and Top of the Line, and they both are above $140 + shipping.

Actually, I did call Lowe`s here in Hawaii yesterday and they didn`t seem to know what I was talking about. They said that they carry a 5" sander, but that`s about it. That sucks!

Anyway, maybe I should cruize on down there today to see if they made a mistake when I called them. Maybe I can order it from them. We`ll see.

Aloha,

Keoni

imported_dl9589
07-05-2002, 12:52 PM
The majority of the Lowes in any state will tell you that they don`t know what your talking about...your just going to have to take a trip down there and see for yourself:up

TurboMan
07-05-2002, 05:43 PM
:bowYOU GUYS WERE RIGHT!

I called Lowes again and gave them the part number and BAM there it was. $125. I told them that it was cheaper in the mainland and they blamed it on shipping fees. Oh well, still better for me!

I`m adding this puppy to my arsenal today! I also use a high-speed Dewalt polisher to get out those nasty scratches, but the sling/throw-off is a pain, even at 1,000 rpm. Does produce excellent results, tho.

Anyway, thanks again, folks, for pointing me in the right direction. BTW, what brand of pads do y`all recommend? CMA claims to have some special contoured pad that draws the polish towards the center rather than outward...is that bunk? I`ll definitely need a velcro backing plate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,

Keoni

Tonster
07-05-2002, 06:14 PM
TurboMan, I got the ones from CMA...I don`t know if it has some "special" contour or not. I`m glad you found a good deal on your PC.

99323ic
07-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Yes, do get the pad kit from CMA. 6" for the 7336 and 5" for the 7424. The CMA pads are concave(?) (look like a shallow bowl when upsidedown), so they help reduce spatter. They work really well. The waffle pads from 3M are supposed to be very good, too.

PakShak
07-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Hi TurboMan (Keoni),

Wow, what a coincidence. I also live in Hawaii. Email me if your interested in some micro fiber towels, I`ll hook you up like the other Autopian members with some but since your in Hawaii no shipping fees. I can meet you somewhere. They are 70/30 blend and come in two sizes 16" x 16" or 24" x 24".

Yeah, shipping from the islands to the Mainland via USPS Priority Mail is more. Example, a package that weighs 4 lbs. cost $5.30 to ship anywhere in Hawaii or the Pacific Islands (Zone 1, 2, & 3) but for the same 4 lb. packaged to be shipped to the mainland (Zone 8) from Hawaii is $10.35. So there is a price premium when shipping to the mainland.

That is why it is hard to find vendors with reasonable shipping fees to Hawaii.

That is a nice looking MB. Have fun with the PC, it is a must have.

Talk to you later.

Aloha,

~Ranney

p.s. I live in Salt Lake.

TurboMan
07-06-2002, 03:55 AM
Howzit Ranney!

Eh, sounds good. I could use a ton of microfiber towels (that stuff is the best thing since sliced bread!).

Call me, I`m in the book (or email me at [email protected] and I`ll send you my phone number).

Mahalo,

Keoni