PDA

View Full Version : What Pads To Buy

Pages : [1] 2

MX racer
07-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Which pads do you guys recommend for applying SMR/Rubbing Compound, Polish, Glaze, and wax? I plan on ordering a PC soon and I need to know what pads to get and where to get them. Also, any tips in using the PC would be appreciated as well :bow

99323ic
07-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Depending on whether you get a 5" (7335) or 6" (7336) Porter Cable machine (go with the 6" if you can) will make a difference with the pads. Take a look at CMA (http://www.properautocare.com) and then you can see their offerings. If you buy the PC from Lowes (at last check still $109) you can get the pad kit plus backing plate for $60 (see here (http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html)).

Also check the archive and use the search for tons of infomation on PC`s & their use. David also has some video that`s very good. He happens to be using a wool pad, that you want to stay away from until you have some experience.

MX racer
07-04-2002, 01:49 PM
If I buy the 6" from Lowe`s, won`t I have to buy a different counter-weight or something? Forgive my ignorance, I`m not very familiar with these machines.

imported_awd330
07-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by tblythe

If I buy the 6" from Lowe`s, won`t I have to buy a different counter-weight or something? Forgive my ignorance, I`m not very familiar with these machines.

tblythe -

The 7336SP from Lowe`s comes packaged with the 6" counterweight already installed.

MX racer
07-04-2002, 03:46 PM
So I could get that and then that "kit" from CMA and I should be good to go w/ my SMR, glaze, and wax? Any tips on using the PC?

imported_awd330
07-04-2002, 08:02 PM

So I could get that and then that "kit" from CMA and I should be good to go w/ my SMR, glaze, and wax? Any tips on using the PC?

If you get the 7336SP from Lowe`s, then the CMA kit you`ll want is the DM-KIT for $59.95.

There are a couple good video clips on using the PC. DavidB here at autopia produced one.

Thread on David`s PC video (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11280&highlight=video)

The Meguiar`s site also has a video.

Meguiar`s clinics (http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm)

MX racer
07-05-2002, 01:09 AM
I can`t wait to get my PC now!! Looks like Ol` Barry just took a PC and put his last name on it...lol.

And with that 7336, I can use the 6" pads w/o changing the counter weight or anything?

imported_awd330
07-05-2002, 07:09 AM

And with that 7336, I can use the 6" pads w/o changing the counter weight or anything?

No issue with changing counterweights. Just swap out the included buffing pad and replace it with the CMA kit`s velcro backing pad. Then, you`re ready to go with any of the CMA pads.

MX racer
07-06-2002, 01:07 PM
CMA PADS

Yellow - SMR or RC

White - #7

Gray - #26

Even though #26 is a "yellow" wax, I can still layer it w/o a residue...correct? Also, if I were to buy some Zaino (Z5 or Z2, I`m not sure...I`m hearing probs w/ new Z5 but I have a dark car w/ swirls) which pad would I use for application? Gray? I know I would need to buy another pad for the Z b/c of wax residue...but would I need a seperate pad for Z5 and Z2 (if I got both) or could I use the same pad for Z5 and Z2? Also, why don`t I hear much talk on here about Z1? Is it not all it`s cracked up to be? If I got Z1 too, would I just apply that with a foam applicator, or would it be better to use the PC. If I use the PC, would I need yet another gray pad? I know you should use a diff pad for each product, but I was just asking this since the Z products, especially Z5 and Z2 are very similar. Thanks.

Also, what are the best speeds (on the PC) to use with each product? I`m REALLY in the dark about that one.

99323ic
07-06-2002, 01:28 PM
tblythe - You really need to do a search on PC use as your answers are there. You can take a look here (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10420&highlight=virgin) for my post on what I did with my PC for the first time. There are several good responses with additional suggestions.

Do some searches on various terms like 7336, 7424, etc. and you wll find a ton of information.

MX racer
07-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Well, I just got back from Lowe`s...got my PC for 94.14 or something like that...that was AFTER tax too! Now I have to order that CMA kit and pads...another 60 bux though :eek: Oh well, after I get that kit, I can just buy new pads each "season"...I won`t have to replace the backing pad or whatever will I?

wificasper
07-06-2002, 04:51 PM
I`ve been searching... I have a 7424 w/ a 5" counterweight. Where can one purhcase a 6" counterweight...any ideas?

I am also looking for a flat wrench for another 7424... anyone know where these can be purchased?

Thanks in advance...:)

99323ic
07-06-2002, 05:26 PM
wificasper - You can usually get accessories like that from a Porter-Cable Service Center.

tblythe - Unless something goes wrong with the backing plate, I believe that it`s pretty permanent. Depending on how much you use the pads, they should last at least 1 season, maybe more. The $60 will go a long way.

I`m impressed with the price. Great job!! Were they having a sale or did you do some sort of price match?

MX racer
07-06-2002, 06:17 PM
Well, I kind of feel bad. I was @ Wal-Mart.com and they had a Porter Cable sander/polisher for 98 or however much. I printed it out and took it to Lowes. At lowe`s they will match any competitor`s price MINUS 10% of the competitors price...that brought the total to like 89 and change. Add KY sales tax (.06) and there`s my total. I was happy too! :bounce

ALSO, whenever I get that kit from CMA, will I need to put that black plastic washer (its on the sanding backing pad which is attached to the PC when you buy it) on the backing pad or do you only use that plastic washer with the sanding adapter? Thanks b/c I really don`t want to mess this thing up...I treat it like it`s a holy item or something, I can`t wait to put it to work! I have major swirls on my car, so I`m probably going to have to go with some RC in a few areas, then 2x SMR on the whole car. But it`ll be looking good soon enough!

99323ic
07-07-2002, 12:02 PM
I`m not what you mean about a black washer, but all I did with mine is insert the wrench and spin off the backing pad supplied with the PC and then spin on the CMA backing pad. Make sure that you don`t over tighten, or it will bind up...you want it to be secure, but move freely.