PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Ultimate Wax System

Pages : [1] 2

aljo
07-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Hello all! First I would like to thank you for all the information i`ve learned from this site. My car is now really happy and shiny :)

Today I was at my local autoshop and came across the Mothers Ultimate Wax System.

It has 3 steps:

Step 1) Prewax cleaner. Strips old wax and prepares finish for wax.

Step 2) Sealer and Glaze

Step 3) Pure Carnuba Wax

Today I only purchased Step 2, the Sealer and Glaze.

I figure Step 1 is an expensive Dawn wash. And Step 3 just makes it shine more.

Am I correct? Or should I do steps 1,2 and 3. Or just 2 and 3?

The Mothers Sealer and Glaze, so what is basically does is put a layer over the paint and adds shine, hides swirls and gives it a wet look. Will this Sealer and Glaze also protect the car from day to day driving?

I`m not really keen on putting Step 2 and then 3. I know that it is much better but I really don`t have enough time. Will Step 2 be adequate? Say if I wash once a week and apply Step 2 every month or so?

Thanks for your help in advance! And sorry for the fragmented message!

jmdlat
07-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Purchase step 3. The polish just adds gloss. No protection. The wax (step 3) is the protection. You can skip step one because Dawn will take care of that for you.

This system is pretty decent. After waxed, it leaves a great shine. I use to use it, but it doesn`t last very long IMO.

aljo
07-03-2002, 09:20 PM
How about that other Mothers Wax. The name evades me right now. Its the Wax with Cleaner in it. Does that protect as much as Step 3 does?

So step 2 is just for show and offers no protection?

Thanks again!

C. Charles Hahn
07-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Don`t skip step one. If your finish has any oxidation or etc., or waterspots - dawn won`t get rid of them. The step one deep cleans better than just dawn does. You will need it.

Oh, and definitely do steps 2 and 3 as well - all are an integral part of the process.

Might I recommend, the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System 3-step system as an alternative?? In my opinion, as well as those of several other autopians, the Meguiar`s products are much higher in quality over Mother`s. (Considering that you are obviously looking for the easiest possible "quality detailing process" in a 3-step. This would be it.) Also, don`t forget to purchase the Quick Detailer *(Meguiar`s calls this Quik Detailer, mother`s calls it Instant Showcar Shine)

and finally, get some compatible car was soap. Mother`s California Gold works well, or, Meguiar`s Gold Class (gold) or Deep Crystal (pink) are good.

good luck! The meguiar`s 3-step is exactly where I started my detailing adventure! :wavey

Chinkzilla
07-03-2002, 09:45 PM
I started with meguiars first as well, and I also have the mother`s 3 step. I have to say both are quite good and the mothers is not inferior to meguiars in any way.. no point in wasting product, just buy the rest of the system, use it up, then try meguiars at a later time.

BTW you want to be thorough in your detailing, no point doing things half a$$ed and regretting it later.:xyxthumbs

aljo
07-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I know I shouldn`t do a 1/2 a$$ed job, and I`ve decided tomorrow I am going to purchase Mothers Carnuba Cleaner Wax. That is basically Mothers One Step Process.

I know it won`t hold as well as the Pure Carnuba but I will be waxing my car every other time I wash it. (I wash once a week)

I can live with my swirlmarks and right now I just need something that shines and protects. So I guess the Carnuba Cleaner Was should do.

As for my car soap, I always buy those large jugs they sell at Costco. I think it was Turtle Wax who makes them... Basically a big clear jug with blue liquid in it. It works great for me :)

One other question. Lets say I do perform the 3 Step System later on when I have time. After its on, I will have less swirl marks... I will have more shine... But the next time I wash my car with Dawn, or over time, these Swirl Marks will return right? The sealant and glaze are only temporary fixes? Once they wear out then the swirls come back...?

Thank you!

shaf
07-03-2002, 10:02 PM
If you`re getting these at Canadian Tire you`d better hurry or get a raincheck - sale ends tomorrow! :D

I would definitely get all 3. In fact, that`s what I did before finding Autopia soon after, so I returned them... then bought some of it back again for other uses. :p

Anyway, like SLD said, Step 1 will clean off oxidation and it probably has a very mild polish in it too. Step 2 won`t last very long at all through repeated washings. It`s actually what`s just usually called a "glaze". I think their adding the word "sealer" to it is a bit misleading. You really should top it off with Step 3 to make the shine and protection last longer. While not a lot of comments on it, the Mothers pure carnauba isn`t disliked and considered "good" for off the shelf stuff.

The other wax you mentioned is their cleaner carnauba wax, which is a one-step job. Being a combination product, it is a compromise, which is why not many Autopians like one step waxes. It won`t clean or shine as well as the 3-step process, but it is simple and easier for the non-enthusiast (which it is marketed for).

shaf
07-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Holy smokes do I type slow! :p You replied between the time I clicked on "Reply" to "Send" :p

Anyway, yes Step 2 only fills swirls in for a short period of time and you`ll probably have to redo step 2 occasionally on a daily driver. If you want to remove swirls permanently you`ll need to use abrasives.

Are those Costco jugs the Zymol wash that smells like bananas? It`s generally considered good stuff and I wonder if the Costco here has them...

aljo
07-03-2002, 10:09 PM
I would love to spend 8 hours on my car for a full detail but I haven`t the time :(

Yep, I`m getting them at Canadian Tire. Hopefully all of my products will be Mothers! I have Back to Black and The Leather Conditioner also.

Cleaner + Wax It is :)

Back to crappytire tomorrow :)

imported_Dude
07-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Be careful! A cleaner wax is only intended for occasional use- i.e. every 3-6 months. Most contain abrasives which, if used too frequently, will harm your paint.

May I suggest using the cleaner+wax once or twide, and then switching to step 3 (the Pure Carnuba wax) of the Mother`s 3-step system? Step 3 is a wax which contains no abrasives. You can use it by itself (I have). This will give you the benefits of both approaches.

aljo
07-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Oh I never thought of that! And it makes sense!

I guess if I go for protection, then get the Pure Carnuba!

Thank you!

aljo
07-04-2002, 03:08 AM
4DSC - Nope the wash @ Costco is not Zymol. I think its turtle wax. It does the job :)

What products would be considered abrasive for removing swirl marks?

Any Mothers products?

shaf
07-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bizzy928

What products would be considered abrasive for removing swirl marks?

Any Mothers products? Unfortunately no. For swirl removal you`ll need a "swirl remover". 3M makes one and Meguiars Professional line has one, but if you can`t find the newer Meguiars #9 2.0 I was told the 3M SMR is better.

Swirl removal is kinda labor intensive and you won`t remove most of them in one go without a machine. You will notice a difference, but they`re just being filled in temporarily (not sure for how long) and will have to (or should) redo it once in a while. Light swirls will be reduced but really bad swirling is another story. If you haven`t seen it already, I think there`s a swirl removal Detailing Article called Polishing or something.

TooSixy
07-04-2002, 02:14 PM
I use Mother`s 3 step system and have found it to be very good (IMO).

I noticed Bizzy was talking about applying the Mother`s cleaner wax. From everything I`ve read, if you apply step 2 (sealer and glaze) and applied the Cleaner wax on top, you would "clean off" the sealer and glaze and basically would have wasted a) money spent on Step 2 and b) the time and effort to apply it.

aljo
07-04-2002, 04:48 PM
So when you use 3m SMR many times, does it actually get rid of the swirl marks? Or does it just "hide" them like Mothers Step 2?

I`ve decided, for now i`m just going to purchase the Cleaner Wax and then the Step 3 Carnuba. I will do the Cleaner Wax every 3-4 waxes and then use the Carnuba the rest of the time.

Is the Step 3 dependant on Step 1 and 2? Or can Step 3 be put on a clean car.

I wouldn`t mind the protection of the Carnuba in our winters. Does Carnuba protect against harsh winters with salt and snow?

Thank you!