PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Paint reacts differently?!

TurboMan
07-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I own a 1998 Mercedes E320, Obsidian Black (light metallic on black). I`ve tried quite a few polymer-based products on my car, and to tell you the truth, nothing seems to work as good as my ol` 2-stage system (#9 Meguiar`s followed with a good carnauba). Zaino was the best of the polymers, but it didn`t give my car that "sexy" look that I`m looking for.

So you know, I had VERY good results with polymer-based systems on my black 1992 Lexus ES300 as well as my repainted (Sikkens brand urethane) black Porsche 911.

Does factory German/Mercedes paint (Glazurit) react differently to polymers than American or Japanese paints? I`m inclined to believe so. So you know, MB uses water-based urethanes on their cars (environmentally friendly).

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,

Keoni

chevyguy28
07-03-2002, 06:41 PM
AlBoston has had excellent results with a black Mercedes, so maybe you need to adjust your technique. Hopefully he can chime in.

Chalky
07-04-2002, 01:00 AM
I`ve heard from several sources that polymers don`t do well with German paints. I was using Zaino on my black Porsche and while it looked good, it certainly didn`t look as well as I thought it should.

I switched to Souveran, and couldn`t be happier. It looks waaaay better than Zaino. I continue to use Zaino on my daily drivers though.

thevolvoguy
07-04-2002, 10:07 AM
I love MB paint. I was detailing my moms Black S600 for the 2nd time yesterday and I noticed some really bad swirls. I pulled out my #9 2.0 and all of them were gone in the first coat! Like these were some nasty swirls too. I have used the same product w/ the same method on many other black cars w/ less swirls and results are hard to see. Anyway, I have been impressed with the paint on that car. I have`nt used Z on it yet, but I will next time and we will see how it turns out.

BTW: Carnauba on black IMO cannot be beat.

C. Charles Hahn
07-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JustinTRW

AlBoston has had excellent results with a black Mercedes, so maybe you need to adjust your technique. Hopefully he can chime in.

actually he can`t chime in. ;)

I can say this however - what Al used on that black mercedes was Meguiar`s #9 for a swirl remover, followed by ZFXed Zaino Z5.

:up (we were just talking about that the other night on AIM)

imported_Dude
07-04-2002, 10:26 AM
I used Zaino on my wife`s last Mercedes (silver), and it looked really good. I am experimenting with P21S PCL and Blitz on her current Mercedes (also silver). It also looks good. Both systems look great. None is really superior to the others. As you might expect, Zaino is more reflective, and the Blitz has more of a "warm glow".

bjwebster
07-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by thevolvoguy

I love MB paint. I was detailing my moms Black S600 for the 2nd time yesterday and I noticed some really bad swirls. I pulled out my #9 2.0 and all of them were gone in the first coat! Like these were some nasty swirls too. I have used the same product w/ the same method on many other black cars w/ less swirls and results are hard to see. Anyway, I have been impressed with the paint on that car. I have`nt used Z on it yet, but I will next time and we will see how it turns out.

BTW: Carnauba on black IMO cannot be beat.

While Often, the swirls come out easy. They go in extremely easily too.

rstype
07-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Check this thread out: A flawless black finish. (http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11300&perpage=10&pagenumber=1)

On their black ML320, Al clayed, polished with Meguiar`s DACP and Meguiar`s #9 2.0, washed with Dawn, and applied 3 coats of Z5/ZFX. The results of Zaino on black Mercedes paints speak for themselves...

http://www.fototime.com/{1080B52B-0AD2-4BC4-A9EC-7C0103C413EC}/picture.JPG

~bw

Lowejackson
07-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Dont foget people like BradB use Klasse etc on their German cars with no problems.

Steven

bjwebster
07-04-2002, 01:08 PM
I have Zaino on my 2001 black ML320, my 2002 red 330 my parents 2000 black ML430, and my parents designo silver launch edition 2003 SL500. All finishes came out perfectly. Next Z7 wash, I will post some pics!

TurboMan
07-04-2002, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! Nice ML!

Don`t get me wrong--I`ve had a lot of nice comments from people after I Zaino`d the car. And yes, it really sparkled. Actually, I receive nice comments no matter what I use on the car, because we`re talking about such minute differences from one good product to the next.

It`s just that there`s something magical about a good carnauba on MB paint that makes it come "alive". It reminds me of my car show days and the look that all our cars had--that fine, hand-rubbed look of a good 20-coat lacquer paint job finished up with a 3-5 coats of yellow #1. Suhweeet!

Does this make any sense? Or am I freakin` hallucinating?!

Aloha,

Keoni

jkochis
07-04-2002, 01:56 PM
3M Imperial Hand Glaze will give you an even better shine, but wont last long at all. It`s really all a matter of durability. Greasy carnuabas and glazes are shiniest for sure, but I dont have the energy to keep up with them. A sealant gets me "close enough" in terms of shine, and gives me a lot more free time.

Lowejackson
07-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Ah yes, glaze plus wax - wow. It does not last long, but I guess it depends on what your goals and wants are.

Steven

square
07-05-2002, 01:58 PM
TurboMan,

I think were both hallucinating! I have an E430 in Capri Blue (dark Blue). I was using Zymol carnuba, and have switched to Zaino. I like the Zaino "llok" much better.

But both finishs looked great. My friends look at me and shake their head when I mention swirl marks and deepness of shine, ....

Lou