PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning applicators

hans57
07-03-2002, 01:44 PM
What is the best way to clean various applicators after use? I often simply buy new ones out of fear that the old ones still contain residues from their last use.

BradE
07-03-2002, 02:07 PM
I typically let mine sit in some really hot water with Dawn soap. After they have had time to soak I wash them with more Dawn and then rinse them very, very well. Then air dry.

hans57
07-03-2002, 02:12 PM
OK that is the same process that I typically use as well. BUT particularly with waxes/sealants/polishes it seems like no matter how many times I wash and rinse I can still feel product on the applicator. Any other hints?

BradE
07-03-2002, 02:14 PM
Try soaking them in Denatured or rubbing alcohol, and then do a Dawn wash. The alcohol will break down any wax or sealant that is in there.:up

Taxlady
07-03-2002, 02:18 PM
I could still feel the wax on my foam applicator too. So, I squirted some Dawn directly on it, and rubbed it in. That seemed to do the trick.

edit: Of course I rinsed the Dawn off, and then it felt clean.

laynlow
07-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

I typically let mine sit in some really hot water with Dawn soap. After they have had time to soak I wash them with more Dawn and then rinse them very, very well. Then air dry.

This works well for me also.

shaf
07-03-2002, 02:30 PM
I also just thoroughly wash them in Dawn, rinse the heck out of them and air dry. Rinsing/soaking to remove all the soap was harder than I thought. Seems to work well and the pads I use for SG seem okay so far.

Yes, I just started detailing, and no, I don`t have enough pads. :doh Going to fix that situation today...

imported_memnuts
07-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Cotton applicator are washed in washing machine with no fabric softener. Foam I wash by hand but recently stopped using because of sealant (Zaino w/ ZFX) very difficult to clean completely.

Every 2-3 months I replace all cotton applicators ( very inexpensive ). :wavey

imported_Tony
07-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Ok then, take you bottle of 1/2 water and alcohol and spary then soak in Dawn.

Sounds good to me!

BradE
07-03-2002, 02:37 PM
blkZ28Conv,

I know what you mean, Zaino does seem to fry foam applicators very quickly.

zey
07-03-2002, 09:25 PM
I squirt some Dawn on the applicator and start to `massage` the applicator, and instantly, you could notice that those stubborn dirt will come out immediately! After that, I rinse it for around 1 minute under the pipe until I can`t feel any wax on the applicator. It works pretty well for me! :)

vroddad
07-05-2002, 03:11 AM
It`s ok to use a pad for medium polish if it has been used for fine polish, but not the other way around.