PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Boxster owners...got a wheel/brake cleaner Q

Pages : [1] 2

ka1srs
07-03-2002, 12:38 PM
I upgraded the brakes on my VW Golf to Audi TT rotors w/Porsche Boxster calipers.

The calipers look anodized, not painted.

What should I clean my wheels with now that I have these pretty brakes behind them?

I don`t want to clean w/just anything and end up dulling them.

chevyguy28
07-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Every Boxster I`ve seen has painted calipers, either black or red depending on the model. In any case...

My car has brembos on them, of which the fronts are painted. I use the same car wash for the paint as I do for the wheels. If you keep up with your wheels, you will never need anything stronger than this. Rotors of course rust almost immediately after they get wet. Driving for a short period of time solves this. Good luck.

BTW, your car should stop wonderfully now! Let me know how they do.

RobD
07-03-2002, 01:07 PM
I use P21S GEL on my Porsche wheels and calipers (though my calipers aren`t anodized). P21S wheel cleaner is recommended by the German car manufacturers, and I have never had a problem with it causing damage to the finish (have used it for many years). It`s not a strong acid formula like some others. P21S is intended for painted, polished or anodized wheels. RobD

Brad B
07-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Any non-acidic cleaner will work fine. I have used Eimann Fabrik All Purpose Cleaner (my personal favorite wheel cleaner) on my Boxster wheels at least twice weekly for three years (you do the math :eek: ) and they look brand new still!

http://www.fototime.com/2D8B3E18BBB2BDB/standard.jpg

StLB5
07-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

...at least twice weekly for three years (you do the math :eek: ) and they look brand new still!

We really need to find a support group for you...wait a minute...Hi everyone, My name is Josh...

bbquer
07-05-2002, 02:18 AM
Hey brad..

With all that use of cleaners, dont you wax or seal your wheels ?

Brad B
07-05-2002, 07:29 AM
I seal my wheels with Meguiars #20 Polymer sealant twice a year on the inside.

I didn`t pick #20 specifically other than I literally have a gallon of it. Any quality sealant will work. The idea is to fill the pours and add some slickness.

I use a small amount of EFHI and a lot of water when I wash the wheels so I don`t remove the #20 so quickly. ;)

My favorite Boxster wheel cleaning tool, by the way, is a foam-ended bottle brush, the kind with a bunch of little foam "fingers" on the end. It reaches way back into the wheel and around the brake. I can clean all the wheels in less than 5 minutes. Cost $2 at WalMart.:up

bbquer
07-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Brad... do you have any pictures of this foam brush ? thnx

z4zen
07-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Hey Brad,

I`ve been using the wheel cleaner diluted 1:1 on my chrome wheels (a mistake?) and they seem to be losing their brillance, although they are incredibly clean! Too much wheel cleaner??? :nixweiss

Brad B
07-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Irvin

Brad... do you have any pictures of this foam brush ? thnx

This is it.

http://fototime.com/392080FA516DBC9/standard.jpg

Brad B
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by gs3_4me

Hey Brad,

I`ve been using the wheel cleaner diluted 1:1 on my chrome wheels (a mistake?) and they seem to be losing their brillance, although they are incredibly clean! Too much wheel cleaner??? :nixweiss

Well, if you have noticed negative effects I would stop immediately and examine the situation. It shouldn`t be the HI. What brush or sponge are you using? Try further dilution, or use a milder auto soap. Chrome is the easiest to clean.

I used auto soap on my chrome Jag wheels and simply touched up with quick detailer as needed. Chrome needs the least cleaner of any wheel coating so maybe tone it down a bit.

imported_Intel486
07-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by gs3_4me

Hey Brad,

are they clearcoated?

if not, are you polishing the chrome?

z4zen
07-17-2002, 01:10 PM
The Chrome (a year and a half years old) just seems to have lost it`s depth a bit, and almost seems "dry". Kinda hard to explain, but the rims are super clean.

I`ve been just using a separate Chenille Wash Mitt after cleaning the rest of the car. I spray some cleaner, let it sit 30 seconds, agitate the area, and rinse well.

Also, I try to polish the rims every 2 months with Never Dull. I applied AIO and SG 3 months ago when I fully detailed the car. I have some Luster Lace that I was thinking of applying as well.

I`ll try to take some pics over the weekend.

Brad B
07-17-2002, 01:31 PM
I never let the cleaner sit on the rims. Just no reason to do so, especially if you clean at least weekly. Chrome is so slick and has vewer pores so the dudt sticks less. It comes off without requiring soaking. The less soaking the better on the finish.

I would use a quality chrome polish "one time" to be sure to bring the chrome to as good a luster as possible. Don`t rub hard. Rub in one direction only. This way you know where you stand.

The SG is a good idea. Give it a coat or two of protection. I used a cheap polymer wax like NuFinish. Use HI sparingly from here on out. It takes very little cleaner of any kind on chrome wheels. And consider a shampoo instead. It`s even gentler and unless you have strong brake residue will often work on your wheels. It did on my Jag.

chevyguy28
07-17-2002, 02:34 PM
A related note then...

I have polished stainless steel exhaust tips, then look almost like chrome.

I use never dull frequently on them because it`s the only thing that has been able to remove the black grime that accumulates there week to week. Is this harsh for the them?