PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my finish?

arannat
07-02-2002, 09:48 PM
All in all I like Zaino and the finish it gives me. But a few months ago there was some bird dropping on my hood for 2 days while I was away. I immediately cleaned it when I got in, and saw what looks like a rough/hazy part of the clear coat in the shape of the crap. I just figured that it was there 2 days and oh well, life sucks. But today a bird egg fell on the car, I washed it off immediately when I got home so it was there for less than 10 hours maybe a lot less, only to have the same effect on the clear coat - wtf! I just put 3 coats of zaino on 2 weeks ago. It is not from the shell scratching the finish, more like the egg was acid and started etching the clear coat.

I had tried SMR on the bird poo marks by hand, but was perhaps too gentle since they are right in the middle of my hood and I didn`t want to screw it up. It made no difference.

What should I do? I don`t want to stop using zaino because of the investment I have made, but this is ridiculous. So how do I best get rid of the marks?

schnell.

PS. I have a black Subaru, 1 year old.

imported_dchu1975
07-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by schnell

What should I do? I don`t want to stop using zaino because of the investment I have made, but this is ridiculous. So how do I best get rid of the marks?

Shoot the bird. :xyxthumbs

arannat
07-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Another smart a$$ Canuck, eh?

I suppose the dropped egg stops that bird from ever pooping on my car... but it did get me anyways.

Any real advice...?

schnell.

Scottwax
07-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately, the acid in the bird poop and the egg have probably permanently etched the paint. I would have figured with how durable Zainos is, you would have good protection from bird poop, but I don`t know of anything that stands up to eggs.

imported_Intel486
07-02-2002, 11:54 PM
How long does it take egg to etch your paint? Supposing it is wax with a good carnauba.

Anyone found a good way to remove dried on egg? I`ve never had to remove it but always hear people say it is a biatch. The local vandals here don`t egg cars. They break out windows and spray paint cars.

Taxlady
07-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by schnell

Another smart a$$ Canuck, eh?

I suppose the dropped egg stops that bird from ever pooping on my car... but it did get me anyways.

Any real advice...?

schnell.

That`s not how you spell it in Canada, eh. It`s a four letter word.

I keep some quick detailer and some MF cloths in the car so I can deal with bird poop (or eggs for that matter) right away if it happens.

Scottwax
07-03-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

How long does it take egg to etch your paint? Supposing it is wax with a good carnauba.

Anyone found a good way to remove dried on egg? I`ve never had to remove it but always hear people say it is a biatch. The local vandals here don`t egg cars. They break out windows and spray paint cars.

Usually, the egg shells do the most damage because they actually cut the paint. You have to really soak the egg remants for a while to loosen the crap up so it comes off easily.

I`ve never had a problem with bird droppings on my car and all I`ve ever used are carnuba based waxes. I did, however get my car egged and the shells cut an removed paint from my trunk lid, although it appears the yolk and egg white didn`t do any damage.

Taxlady
07-03-2002, 01:46 PM
schnell, I told my smarta__e Canadian husband about your run-ins with birds and he said, "Just tell him not to park under trees. That shouldn`t be hard in Toronto." ;)

rufuz
07-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Usually, the egg shells do the most damage because they actually cut the paint. You have to really soak the egg remants for a while to loosen the crap up so it comes off easily.

I`ve never had a problem with bird droppings on my car and all I`ve ever used are carnuba based waxes. I did, however get my car egged and the shells cut an removed paint from my trunk lid, although it appears the yolk and egg white didn`t do any damage.

Sorry to hear about the egging scott.