PDA

View Full Version : Any good carpet cleaning/shampooing machines?

imported_dl9589
07-02-2002, 07:40 PM
I am looking into getting a relatively cheap carpet cleaning machine, just something small and cheap right now...like a handheld model or something to that nature, something you can find at your local Lowes.

I have seen the Bissel`s (sp?) at Lowes for about 60 bucks, but don`t know if they will do a decent job on carpets.

Any suggestions?

C. Charles Hahn
07-02-2002, 07:49 PM
I`ve seen that bissel in action, it does a decent job if you`re chasing stains right after they`re made (read: the stains aren`t set in)

what I usually do though is just spot clean with the old-fassioned brush/carpet cleaner/shop vac method. Then for full shampooing I rent a rug doctor machine with the hand wand once a year. :up

imported_dl9589
07-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Does the Rug Doctor do a pretty decent job?

In general how much do you usually spend to rent the machine?

C. Charles Hahn
07-02-2002, 08:12 PM
it does a decent job - The last time I used one (which has been almost a year back) it was $65 for the rental, and I had to buy the extractor solution past that..... it was about $10 for all the stuff I used (they require that you have to use their chemicals in it, not your own)

imported_dl9589
07-02-2002, 08:23 PM
hmmm...may not be worth it to spend that much...I am detailing a 93 Honda Accord this weekend and the guy wants the carpets shampoo...I figure I was just going to have to use the spray and wipe and hope it does a good enough job.

Thanks for the help though!!

imported_seres
07-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Has anyone used one of those handheld steamer thingys ... I think it`s Eureka Hot Shot?

We have an upright Hoover "Steam" Vac (I put steam in parenthesis because it doesn`t produce steam or heat the water, you just use hot water) which works pretty well -- as well as the Rug Doctor, if you ask me.

We bought it because we were having to rent the Rug Doc. so much (5 kids will do that to your house!)

But -- I was wondering if the steamer thing worked better?

I also agree that the brush/carpet cleaner/shop vac is about equal to the Hoover, just not as convenient at times.

DaGonz
07-02-2002, 10:28 PM
I have a Bissell Little Green Machine and it works well. They are not that expensive, and I have had mine for three years now...no problems..and it does get a lot of use.

imported_edschwab1
07-02-2002, 11:43 PM
I found some archived info for you by conducting a search.

My search results for bissell (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=73067&sortby=&sortorder=)

Carpet cleaning instruction from RonK: (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4757&highlight=Bissell)

I had bissell little green machine(not sure of the model#) and it worked well on fresh or pre-treated (Pre-cleaned and scrubbed) stains. I used this unit to clean an old and used cavalier interior, it did ok, I was not going for showroom new, just wanted it cleaner. I used it on another car with good.

I gave this unit to my brother, who has a child and two dogs, and he gave it a work out and has since replaced it because the was not sucking well and the sprayer was not spraying well. This was after probably 1.5-2.5 years of almost daily use on something. For the occasional use, helper, oor for the finishing touch the bissell should work well, all depending on the condition of the interior.

I hope this help you.

Eric

JFawwaz
07-03-2002, 01:23 AM
anyone use this? (http://www.bissell.com/en/products/product.asp?pid=31217&n1=1&n2=2)

http://www.bissell.com/en/products/images/catalog/1865-M.gif

TortoiseAWD
07-03-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

it does a decent job - The last time I used one (which has been almost a year back) it was $65 for the rental, and I had to buy the extractor solution past that..... it was about $10 for all the stuff I used (they require that you have to use their chemicals in it, not your own) :shocked Holy dirty Berber rugs, Batman; MI must have some serious demand for carpet cleaners. Here in Omaha, Rug Doctor rental is only about $30 (including the hand wand), plus chemicals.

Tort

imported_WS6Seth
07-03-2002, 01:29 PM
I though I would give you guys a head up. Costco has little green machines for $29. I picked two up last friday. Can`t beat that price and they do a good job on everthing but the most ground in and set stains.

Seth

C. Charles Hahn
07-03-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

:shocked Holy dirty Berber rugs, Batman; MI must have some serious demand for carpet cleaners. Here in Omaha, Rug Doctor rental is only about $30 (including the hand wand), plus chemicals.

Tort

I`ve noticed that our area specifically seems especially higher on rental of those machines. I`ll have to check and see if the demand has gone down though (it might not help that I was getting mine right after winter - when all of these people with their beige carpets were cleaning up for the spring).....

imported_dl9589
07-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Well I went and picked up a Dirt Devil "spot scrubber" today from Sears. On Sale for $39.99. I`ll see how it works and post a short review on it afterwards.