PDA

View Full Version : Removing Pin-stripes....

ExplorerXLT95
07-02-2002, 10:07 AM
How do you remove pin-stripes?? I really want to get rid of these ugly looking things, but I`m afraid of messing the whole side of the truck up or having a visible line of sticky stuff all the way down both sides of my truck.......

HELP! :confused: :nixweiss:

Scott P
07-02-2002, 10:11 AM
Pinstripes shouldn`t be too hard to remove. You might be able to lift one end up where it ends behind a door or fender. Any sticky residue can be taken off with adhesive remover like Goo Gone or Goof Off. Eastwood Company used to makea buffing wheel that was supposed to take off striping without harming the paint underneath.

My only conern (don`t really know if it`s legit) would be a possible `tan line` look if the paint around the stripes had been faded by the sun.

ExplorerXLT95
07-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Hmmm.....anybody else?? I wouldn`t want the "tan line" that you speak of.....any way to get around/fix that???

Anybody?

porterdog
07-02-2002, 10:32 AM
I`ve used that rubber wheel, works pretty good. No help with the tan line though- that`s an issue of how long has the stripe been on/how much has the paint color changed.

hth,

Robert

ExplorerXLT95
07-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Know of any way to fix it if that happens to be the case with mine when I attempt this??

imported_BretFraz
07-02-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by ExplorerXLT95

Know of any way to fix it if that happens to be the case with mine when I attempt this??

Yep, a repaint.

Sorry, but thats what it will need. What`s happened is the paint around the stripes has faded over time but the paint under the stripes haven`t. Some pigments in paint fade quicker than others (red, silver) so they will show even more. There isn`t a simple cure for this unfortunately.

Taxlady
07-02-2002, 10:57 AM
I`m sure this sounds pretty dumb, but what is pin-striping? Is it that bit of trim along the length of a car that protects the doors from other car doors? Is there a link to a picture of a car or truck that has it?

samiam513
07-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Pin striping is a small line around the vehicle that is put on by the owner, or taken to a place to put it on. Some are made of thin vinyl. Some people like it. I don`t.

ExplorerXLT95
07-02-2002, 11:10 AM
I have a dark blue Explorer and the paint is in pretty good condition for a `95. I know a guy who has the same year as me with black paint and he removed his stripes after 7 years and there was only MINOR striping, but I wanted to ask how to do it properly and what can be done to fix it just in case....

imported_Tony
07-02-2002, 11:43 AM
My daughter wants me to remove the pin stripes on her 2000 Forerunner and I want to add stripes to my PT Cruiser. Not the same stipes .I plan to try and heat the end of the vinyl with a hair dryer to losen the glue and then try to pull them off. Anyway if you find a good method please let me know.

Thanks

shirtman
07-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Hey that might be a pretty cool look... a shadow of a pinstripe int he same color (only darker) than the original paint.... then again, maybe not.....

Jeff

Taxlady
07-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Okay, now I know what you mean. Sort of like "racing stripes", but on the side of the car.

porterdog
07-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

I plan to try and heat the end of the vinyl with a hair dryer to losen the glue and then try to pull them off. Anyway if you find a good method please let me know.

Thanks

That`s a perfect application for the rubber wheel- a vehicle that new shouldn`t have noticable fading already. FWIW, I used the wheel on my GF`s 92 Civic- came out just fine.

R

shelbygt
07-02-2002, 05:09 PM
My 92 ramcharger had clearcoat OVER the pinstripes from the factory so I couldn`t remove them! just something you might wanna look for.