PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Sealer and Glaze

mx5
07-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Mother`s Sealer and Glaze works like magic. Easy on easy off. I used it on top of a few coats of Klasse because it says it was specially formulated to be used over previous coats of wax. It really filled in the few big scratches and made them disappear. It gave my vehicle the wettest shine it has ever had, comparable to Blitz. It magically made the scuff marks from shoes where people enter the car disappear. You know the demonstrations they show on TV for scratch removing products, well this worked as good as that. I was amazed. It was well worth the 5.99 I paid for it. It didn`t fill in the fine hairline scratches an Autopian would notice, but it sure did some magic.

shaf
07-01-2002, 02:02 PM
:shocked This actually works?? I had a bottle a few months ago and thought about this possibility but I heard some things such as it eating away at the Klasse, so I returned it. :p

More opinions on this would be welcome. FYI, the Mothers Sealant and Glaze is Phase 2 of a Cleaner, Glaze, and Wax system, so I wonder how much harshness/cleaning it would acutally do to the Klasse. I imagine this stuff is similar to IHG, but...

The problem is no one can really tell what`s happened to the Klasse layer underneath at this point :(

Hey forrest where are you? :D

itsme
07-01-2002, 02:07 PM
I`d be interested in this too. Especially the scratch covering part.

forrest@mothers
07-01-2002, 02:27 PM
4DSC - I`m here - was out getting a nail out of my wife`s tire.

Sealer and Glaze is, as the name implies, a glaze type filler product. Don`t look for it to do any cleaning, marring removal or protecting. It fills and creates gloss.

We have about 10 toys sitting around here with big dollar paint jobs on them (you know - $25K or so for each). All we put on them is Sealer and Glaze. No wax, no nothing. Since the cars stay inside, under covers except when driven, they don`t need protection - just shine, and Sealer and Glaze is the best product we`ve found for that. It gives a better shine, IMO, than our professional glaze with a wheel.

I`m sure you can find products that cost more, but I honestly have yet to find one with a better finish. Admittedly, it has no durability, but if you`re looking for something to put on paint that is in good shape, it`s the best I`ve seen.

Now, sales hot air aside, the product has its detriments:

1) the paint needs to be clean

2) don`t look for it to fill serious marring (but then, no other ones do either)

3) durability is 5-8 days exposed to the environment

4) it works better in thin coats than heavy

I apply by hand with a foam pad and remove with microfiber. While our instructions say to use overlapping circular motions, I apply in straight lines and remove when still damp. The overlapping is to make sure Joe Sixpack gets complete coverage. It`s quite easy to work with.

It`s not going to remove Klasse or much of anything else, except maybe some very light water spots (and that`s via the carriers).

Waxman - the fine marring you mentioned (as you said) probalby wouldn`t be noticed by anyone but an Autopian. I`d remove those first with a proper polish, before putting the glaze on.

max_man_94_01
07-01-2002, 04:21 PM
just a newbie here..please bear with me....all this time, everytime I apply a glaze like mothers or megs #7, I always strip everything down(dawn wash) and start from the ground-up - cleaner(twice a year), glaze (every three months), then wax (blitz every month). Based on what I am reading here, is it alright to apply a layer of Glaze(Megs#7 or Mothers) on top of whatever number of coats of Carnuba? If that is the case, I only have to do the dawn wash every six months then. Please advise. Thanks.....

forrest@mothers
07-01-2002, 04:30 PM
max man - personally, I`d dispense with the Dawn wash, and clay every 6 months, along with the paint prep (cleaner). I`d do the glaze every other month, and the carnauba every month.

Or you could do the glaze and carnauba every month if you`re feeling energetic.

max_man_94_01
07-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Thanks Forrest....changes my whole outlook and understanding now....will do that from now on....thanks again...

shaf
07-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Big thanks forrest. :xyxthumbs I forgot about the durability aspect, but I think I might have to try it anyway. Looks like I have another product to buy, and this is good timing for me too since it`s on sale right now!

Pelch
07-02-2002, 12:36 AM
I also use Mother`s Sealer and Glaze along with their Carnauba Wax. I find that it does get a better shine overall but just doesnt last as long. (It is cheaper than the synthetic systems)

But, having moved to a new house recently, I finally have a garage for my cars so the durability issue is lessened. Also, I`m just a freak and wax my car at least once a month. :D

I would recommend it.

TooSixy
07-02-2002, 02:28 PM
I use Mother`s 3 step system and took some before and after pics of my car. They can be seen at http://maniax_00.tripod.com/goonspage/id5.html

I used Dawn to strip the old wax, Mother`s clay bar ( :up ) and then Mother`s Sealer and glaze topped off with the "pure" carnauba wax.

Only problem in the process was I let the sealer and glaze sit too long and it was pretty tough to buff out and there was lots of powdery residue.

The wax is great though...real easy to buff out and little to no residue.

Also, I`ve had good beading for at least a month and a half and my car is driven daily and parked outside.

As far as store bought waxes go, I really like the Mother`s stuff :xyxthumbs

shaf
07-09-2002, 02:49 AM
While good for use with conventional wax systems, Sealer and Glaze just isn`t meant to be used over polymers. It didn`t work for me. :(

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12891

Oh well!

forrest@mothers
07-09-2002, 10:30 AM
4DSC - off to the test panels and products to duplicate your test. I can;t believe it would remove an acrylic like Klasse.

BTW, I don`t think Sealer and Glaze smells or looks anything like Pre-Wax Cleaner.

forrest@mothers
07-11-2002, 03:14 PM
here`s my reply to 4DSC I posted to his original thread listed above:

4DSC - I finished the test up. You`re correct, our Sealer and Glaze did remove the Klasse.

As near as I can tell, with some help from a chemist who actually knows something, the carriers in Sealer and Glaze are not compatible with Klasse. It`s strange that it won`t remove any carnauba on the paint, but will take off an acrylic product.

I`m guessing it`s a compatibility issue between the acrylic and the solvent carriers in our product.

Sorry it didn`t work out, but you taught me something new. Out of curiousity, I`m going to try it over some polymer products when I get a chance and see what happens.