PDA

View Full Version : Questions AFTER first wax application

JHL
06-30-2002, 12:55 PM
After reading numerous threads and downloading the Autopeia Detailing Guide, I decided to jump right in and wax my car. I was using Meguiars #26 paste, because I assumed that was an adequate choice for a detailing rookie. I managed to wax my entire car (Volvo S60) in about 90 minutes and I think it came out OK. However, I now have a few questions:

1) What is the easiest way to judge if there is enough wax on the applicator? I think I may have used a little too much wax in my attempt to avoid rubbing a dry applicator on the car.

2) How do I clean up the "mistakes" I made, applying wax to the plastic door trim? I now have a few white lines that refuse to budge.

3) Would I have saved a lot of time using a PC for the buffing step? I was worried about all the odd angles on my car and decided to just do it manually the first time.

thanks,

John

imported_dl9589
06-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Alot of waxes tell you to use a damp, almost dry applicator to apply the wax. Remember a little Carnuba goes along way.

As far as using a PC to buff off, I don`t think many people do that, they just use a MF to buff the wax off.

BradE
06-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Peanut Butter will remove the white wax marks on the plastic trip. Apply it and "work" it into the surface and then wipe off. I would wash the area when you are done to make sure it`s totally clean.

shaf
06-30-2002, 03:56 PM
I think you should change the question from "Is there enough wax on the app?" to "Is there enough wax on the paint?" which is the real question. Just apply enough to the app to get thin even coverage on the area you`re working on.

RobD
06-30-2002, 04:21 PM
To expand on ShowroomLincoln`s comment, peanut oil, available at the supermarket, removes the wax residue from plastic trim pieces, and is a little easier to use than the peanut butter. Remove the oil residue (at least the excess) from the trim because it will attract dust. RobD