PDA

View Full Version : Corn starch used as scratch remover?

dexter
06-30-2002, 12:16 PM
I have a long and fairly deep scratch on my hood. I posted a thread on this earlier and someone said to try a mixture of corn starch and glaze. I would really like to get rid of this nasty scratch asap. Has anyone ever heard of this technique? Thanks ;)

imported_BretFraz
06-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Corn starch is an "old skool detailerz" trick from back in tha day. Mixed with glaze and applied by rotary gives paint a really nice shine but it isn`t anywhere near aggressive enough to remove a deep scratch.

It can be hit with a rotary but usually these kinds of scratches need wet-sanding or body shop work.

dexter
06-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, what type of mixture ratio should I do with the corn starch and glaze? I plan on using 3M IHG.

KEVO
06-30-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by GTI2001

Thanks for the replies, what type of mixture ratio should I do with the corn starch and glaze? I plan on using 3M IHG.

If you want to work on the scratch forget the IHG and the corn stuff, get some 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 and/or some 3M Finesse It II.

dexter
06-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by KEVO

If you want to work on the scratch forget the IHG and the corn stuff, get some 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 and/or some 3M Finesse It II.

Yes, I have both of those products and they have done nothing for me :(

KEVO
06-30-2002, 08:09 PM
If the scratch is bad enough that those two abrasive compounds did not help the glaze certainly will not help, try 3M Rubbing Compound and then step back down to the FIII and then the SMR.

rd_volvo
07-01-2002, 10:51 AM
Take a half dollar size of glaze and top it with a dime

size pinch of corn starch then mix together good.

Work this mixture into paintwork with a terry cloth using

a small circular motion with one finger as your buffer.