PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Souveran Users...

ALM
06-29-2002, 10:11 PM
I have 1x AIO, 5x KSG, and about 4x coats of Souveran on my car. My car is a daily driver and sleeps outside. I know this plays a major factor in the longevity of the life of the coat of Souveran but, is there any reson why the surface of my car will not stay slick? I re-applied a coat of Souveran last week and the surface of my car does not feel as slick a week later as it would when I would have used Blitz. I know Blitz is a lot tuffer, but is there anyone whom has the same problem? I QD several times a week with Crystal Mist and/or Clear Pearl, however it does not stay slick for very long. In addition may car is still as reflective as the day I initially applied the wax. Is this "lack" of slickness just a part of the wax?

Scottwax
06-29-2002, 10:18 PM
:nixweiss

My car stays pretty slick with Souveran-in fact, I haven`t washed mine in about 12 days (it has been raining nearly every afternoon) and the parts of my paint that aren`t actually dirty still have some slickness.

It could be that Souveran is so incredibly slick when it first goes on that even though it may be slick two weeks later, compared to when it first went on, it may not feel that great.

A couple cars I`ve used Souveran on 2 months ago still feel reaasonably slick. It could be that the Protect All wash I use is unusually gentle on wax though. Others who use it have also mentioned how easy it is on wax.

ALM
06-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Im using the Pinnacle car wash to wash it 1x/week. I think I read somewhere that it takes a "bite" out of the wax. Any truth to this?

imported_BretFraz
06-30-2002, 12:18 PM
I`m thinking all the QDing is removing some of the oils and agents that provide slickness. QD`s tend to have a lot of alcohol in them and that`s not good for carnauba durability.

If your car is just dusty, why not use a damp MF or spray on a little distilled water instead of all that QD? Would be cheaper too.

jmsc
06-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Steve9185,

I used Sovereign for the first time 2 weeks ago. Applied a 2nd layer per Pinnacle instructions 48 hours later. A shimmering shine resulted after the 2nd coat. But I also noticed the lack of slickness on my 02 Civic Ruby Red paint. I know that P21S, Blitz and Harly produce less shine and reflection but far more slip, especially on the hood. Could it be a Japan/German/American paint issue using Sovereign?

I do not use any QD products between washes because I carnauba wax frequently. Between waxes I washed with cool water and a tiny drop of P21S shampoo. Dry`d using the BBT. MON morning I will layer a coat of Blitz or Harly to see if I can get back that slippery surface.

ALM
06-30-2002, 03:27 PM
If I do use Qd`s its either Crystal Mist or Clear Pearl. If i had to take an educated guess, i would have to say that CP probably has a higher amount of alcohol in it than Crystal Mist. However when I do use clear pearl the surface comes out much slicker than of when I would use Crystal Mist. Im almost inclined to agree with jmsc, and say its a foreign paint thing, as the shine on my car is as good as the first day I waxed it.

imported_Intermezzo
07-01-2002, 12:12 PM
I would bet that it`s the shampoo. In the few times that I`ve used Souveran (on a German car driven 60 miles daily), it would take about three to four weeks before the slickness was noticeably diminished. The alcohol content in CM (or just about any QD) is way too small to cause any diminishment in slickness. In fact, any QD will help maintain slickness.

One thing that I did different however was to sometimes not use any shampoo at all when washing. Even though the car was driven daily, it didn`t get very dirty at all. When I did use shampoo, it was an extremely small amount (1 capful in a 5 gallon bucket)...so small that I hardly got any suds at all. Another alternative is to use a mixture of liquid wax and shampoo (1:3 ratio) to wash the car. That also helped with the slickness and shine. Nowadays, I only use the normal amount of shampoo on days when I plan to repolish & wax.....and when I do, the car`s slickness pretty much disappears.

ALM
07-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Its a possibility, but then why do manufacturer`s such as CMA put will not strip wax on their car washes?

It seems worse when I use the Pinnacle car wash, when I use EF power wash, I dont have as much of a problem.

But the car still looks awesome!

DETAILKING
07-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Is pretty harsh, in that it will strip souveran off in 1-2 washes. Stick with gold class or P21S wash, much better wash for souveran`ed cars....

For an outside driver, I would skip the carnuba topper and just layer on coats of SG. Use a QD`er after each wash and even more if you want, and you should be in good shape...........

DK

ALM
07-02-2002, 12:11 PM
DK: The carnuba topper adds so much depth and warmth over th KSG, I imagine life without it!

I think mabey ill shoot CMA an e-mail and ask them what the deal is with the stripping of the wax.

Thank you all for your help!

imported_Intermezzo
07-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Steve9185

Its a possibility, but then why do manufacturer`s such as CMA put will not strip wax on their car washes?

I think what they mean is that it doesn`t strip wax the way dish soap does.

DETAILKING
07-02-2002, 12:13 PM
You can obtain that look by using a carnuba/oil based quick detailer over your SG....much easier than applying souveran every 2-3 weeks.

Just an alternative.....do what works best for you!