PDA

View Full Version : Am I applying Klasse SG TOO thin??

shaf
06-28-2002, 02:07 PM
As some of you may know I posted a poll about how thin you can get Klasse Sealant Glaze and I said I used under 1/3 an ounce.

Well, I recently applied 2 more coats after that and find myself wondering if the SG is either undergoing spontaneous regeneration or if I`m applying too thinly. At this rate I`ll be getting a Zaino -like 6 or 7 coats per ounce (!) and am now worried I`m not actually applying enough or even any SG in some spots.

I apply using a Meguiars foam pad, but I wet it with QD (1st two coats) or wrung out with water (most recent coat) and now prefer that since it works just as well. I apply the SG out of a tiny squeeze bottle, scrubbing a few thin lines onto the top 1/3 of the pad and spread it around on the panel. The first few swipes I definitely know there`s SG going on, but then I spread it out until it disappears and work an area of about 1 to 1.5 square feet. I see something go on, then flash dry instantly so now I`m wondering is this really diluted SG/water, or is it mostly water and I`m not getting the full effect?

Except some areas where the sponge turns around or stops (leaving a splotch), it is invisible of course. But that doesn`t bother me and is normal from what people say.

The finish doesn`t look uneven to my relatively inexperienced eye and the side of my hood I`m layering the SG on (for comparison) definitely IS slightly darker. I`m just wondering if I really have 3 coats on there or 1.5 coats....

:nixweiss

imported_Intel486
06-28-2002, 02:11 PM
For my applications I use a Microfiber applicator but I don`t wet it with QD.

I fold the pad in half. I then just make sure they part I`m dragging across the paint is slightly damp with SG so I know I`m getting some on the paint. In some areas on my truck I can see a slight haze. I actually like to apply it so I get a kinda streaky haze on the paint so I know I`m applying it.

I then use a slightly damp MF for the first buffing and then come back with a dry MF to buff out a shine.

Jngrbrdman
06-28-2002, 02:15 PM
SG is sort of like crazy glue. Once it touches your car it bonds to it. It bonds on a molecular level so it doesn`t matter how much you use because the layer is only going to be so thick. Each layer bonds at that level so it really goes on pretty evenly. Not much risk in getting it uneven.

I experience the same thing with SG. My first bottle lasted me for probably more than 35 or 40layers on cars ranging in size. It really does last a long time if you are good at not wasting it. Spread it around untill you can`t see it haze and you will get alot of use out of it.

06-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

SG is sort of like crazy glue. Once it touches your car it bonds to it. It bonds on a molecular level so it doesn`t matter how much you use because the layer is only going to be so thick. Each layer bonds at that level so it really goes on pretty evenly. Not much risk in getting it uneven.

I experience the same thing with SG. My first bottle lasted me for probably more than 35 or 40layers on cars ranging in size. It really does last a long time if you are good at not wasting it. Spread it around untill you can`t see it haze and you will get alot of use out of it.

thats it!!! I have done at least 20 or more layers of SG and still have at least 60% of the bottle left!

shaf
06-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I feel a lot better. :) The SG does say "highly concentrated" too.

A way to test it just occured to me: I could do the "breathe on it to fog it up" trick before removing next time. Any microscopic or invisible residue should show up as streaks and I`ll know if I applied any. One reason I switched from QD to water is because I was worried I`d confuse drying QD with drying SG. With water, all that should be left is SG and nothing else.

I did this trick a long time ago when removing some other product but forgot about it till now.

Here`s hoping for "coat 4" tomorrow! :up

shaf
06-30-2002, 05:25 AM
UPDATE

I applied the SG super thin, as I had before, and used a similar amount of product, maybe slightly more because I was in a hurry. I noticed three things:

-When I breathed on the surface, the telltale streaks of product were in most places, but not all. Some spots worryingly looked as it does after buffing. That is, it looked uniform and clean with no hint of anything having been applied to it.

-In my haste I lost track of which areas I`d covered at times. Thus I went over them again in a similar manner to make sure. In some areas where I`m SURE I`d gone over it twice it still looked invisible and the haze/streaks produced when breathed upon did not look any heavier or significantly different.

-The half of the hood with supposedly 4 coats of SG on it has not gotten noticably darker than it was at coat 1, and does not look much different from the other half reflection and quality-wise.

Tomorrow I will try applying SG a bit more heavily. Not heavy enough to leave a haze, but applying it just to the point where the SG disappears and doesn`t leave any lingering streaks behind. Then instead of continuing to spread it I would dab on more SG and move on to the next area. If this does not prove to be a problem, consumption-excessive, or hard to remove, I will repeat this and check my results then.

Comments are always welcome of course! :wavey

shaf
06-30-2002, 04:02 PM
UPDATE Update :D

I downgraded my previous 2 coats to 1 equivalent coat since I wasn`t happy with the coverage I was getting. I applied SG today like I described above and used only a little more, but got better coverage. This tells me that I was doing pretty well before, but I`ll still be conservative and call them 1 coat. The residual water in the applicator really helps spread it out much better.

kreativ
07-07-2002, 11:58 PM
The SG bottle says usage should be about 2oz per car, but even if I slop it on pretty thick (in my opinion), I still don`t use anywhere close to 2oz for a layer.