PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Zaino question

vjd3
06-28-2002, 10:00 AM
I`m ready to give Zaino a try on my red Carrera 4 tomorrow. I plan to Dawn wash and clay the car first, then use a PC with some 3M SMR to get rid of the swirls and faint scratches. Then I`ll Dawn wash it again and start the Zaino process.

My question is two parts:

1) If I have the finish swirl free from the SMR, should I still start with the Z5, or go right to Z2? Or should I use some other kind of polish before I go to the Zaino?

2) People seem to recommend waiting 24 hrs between coats for curing, but you guys are putting 3-5 coats per product on the car. My Porsche is my daily driver, so is the theory to apply the coat, let it cure, then start driving the car, wash it again with the Zaino wash, then apply another coat, etc., over a period of days? How do you guys do it without losing the use of the car for a few days?

This is my first "serious" attempt to detail a car; in the past, I`ve used some Imperial Hand Glaze and Blitz Wax, always by hand, but was never that thrilled with the results. Thanks,

Vic

95 C4

Mutilator
06-28-2002, 10:03 AM
We put on multiple coats in 1 day because we`re using the ZFX accelerator that makes the zaino cure instantly instead of taking 24 hours. You can apply 3 coats in a day that way and then you have to wait 24 hours for the next 3 coats.

If you aren`t going to be using ZFX you`ll need to follow up the 3M SMR with the dawn wash... then apply Z1. Then you can apply the Z2 ontop of the Z1 - I`d skip the Z5 if your swirls are gone because the Z2 is probably going to be shinier for you anyway. Wait atleast 1 hour then buff the Z2 back off and wait until the next day... then you wash the car with the Z7 and dry it... then apply your next coat of Z2 without using the Z1 this time.

imported_memnuts
06-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Get some ZFX. It makes the Zaino system so much more user friendly. You can apply 3 coats in one day in less than 3 hours. The next free day you can add another 3 coats or if you only have time for one coat you can apply without using the ZFX.

I would use the Z5 first even if you feel the surface is marr-free. Z5 in combination with Z2 tends to add depth to the already outstanding reflectivity of Zaino. Enjoy the Z. You will be amazed by the results and durability. The Z7 wash actual enhances the shine. Washing a Zaino`d finish with Z7 will not dull finish or decrease protection. :xyxthumbs

Boston... how do you drive a Porsche in that city every day? Lived there for 40 odd years and the roads are terrible, the traffic clogged, and no parking.

vjd3
06-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Well ... Boston`s no picnic for a Porsche, but I have roof parking at work and a garage at home and don`t work in the city or need to commute during rush hour.

Is there a Zaino distributor in Boston? There is no link on Zaino`s website. I`d like to pick up some ZFX ... Saturday`s the best day for me to get started.

Vic

95 C4

imported_memnuts
06-28-2002, 10:35 AM
AlBoston who is in your area or Metallic Mike who is a great source for Zaino distributors. :wavey

Do not forget to post some pictures after the detailing. Love Porsches. Maybe a nice shot on the Charles River or down by the waterfront?? Please make me homesick. :)

vjd3
06-28-2002, 10:52 AM
Hmmm ... or is there anyone in Boston with a ZFX stash they might let me buy and replace for `em?

Vic

Mutilator
06-28-2002, 11:06 AM
To find out about zaino distributors send Sal Zaino an email. You can use sal@zainobros.com or wet@zainobros.com I believe. He`ll probably respond within an hour or so.

vjd3
06-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Sal sez he has no one locally ... I wish I had known about ZFX when I had bought the products, but that was a little while ago.

Vic

imported_memnuts
06-28-2002, 12:00 PM
No big deal. I did my first 30-40 coats without it. Just do 2 coats this weekend (1 Sat & 1 Sun). Order some ZFX today and by next weekend you will be ZFX`ing. :cool:

Apply Z1 very, very, very thinly and apply a coat of Z5 on Saturday and a coat of Z2 on Sunday. If car is not dirty on Sunday morning no need to wash just rinse and QD with Z6 and then apply Z2. Very important to allow the Zaino to dry. The combination of Z1 and Z5 or Z2 requires even more time. It is suppose to be humid in New England this weekend so drying time will definitely increase. Be patient. After you get some ZFX the drying time will greatly decrease and humidity will not be a factor.

Enjoy the Zaino.:xyxthumbs