PDA

View Full Version : 3M mf towels

imported_Goose
06-27-2002, 10:34 PM
will 3m mf towels scratch???

imported_dl9589
06-27-2002, 10:44 PM
Do a search on MF Towels, you`ll find literally hundreds of posts concerning them.

Start here though.

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6270&highlight=microfiber

A very comprehensive review of almost all the MF Towels out on the market now.

Antonio Wright
06-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Those towels are a no-go in my book.

-Antonio

Lemonxxs
06-28-2002, 09:39 AM
3M makes several different types of MFs.

I have 2 that were marketed for computer screens and TVS...They are very soft but do not have any nap. I use them for the interior dusting and spot cleaning my glasses and windows.

DO you have a better description of the ones you are looking at?

imported_Goose
06-29-2002, 03:02 AM
i think they are yellow and the guy at the body shop supply said they was yellow 3m mf finishing towels he said they dont scratch but i still want to make sure before i use them on my black car

shaf
06-29-2002, 04:10 AM
I think most MF towels (especially if it were made by a reputable company like 3M) wouldn`t scratch. And while they might scratch a CD, paint is still harder.

I think the most important aspect of considering MFs is "Are they appropriate for what I`m doing?" That is, is the towel plush with lots of nap, or is it thin with short fibers? Does it lint a lot? Is it big enough? Questions like that.

Thin suede or dishcloth-like towels are fine for glass, but thick deep pile towels are better for paint care because they`ll hold more "stuff" in the fibers. I took a long look at a Meguiar`s detailing MF today and quickly considered it inferior to my growing supply of much cheaper Turtle Wax MFs.

imported_Dude
06-29-2002, 11:35 AM
I own one of the yellow, waffle-weave 3M towels. I got it at an auto parts store. It was the first MF towel that I ever tried, and I was very impressed with it.

That being said, while the 3M is a perfectly adequate towel, it pales in comparison to the neatitems and YoSteve towels. They are far more plush and absorbant.

imported_Goose
06-30-2002, 02:35 AM
i think i will just order some yosteve towels but do i got to cut the edges off and how many should i get

Lemonxxs
07-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Most Mfs have a good serging that does not need to be cut off.

PS you cannot have enough MF towels!

shaf
07-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Guess My Name

PS you cannot have enough MF towels! I didn`t believe this when I was new here, thinking it must be just for the "hardcore" people, but no.... it`s true! :eek:

In my experience (so far) you tend to toss a lot into the "dirty" pile quickly because of:

-dropping on the floor :mad:

-accidentally touching dirty tires or underbody

-quick detailing