PDA

View Full Version : mixing Meguairs and Zaino

jomonjoe
06-27-2002, 01:18 AM
I plan to start Zaino on my car in the next couple of weeks. I also purchased Meguiars Deep Crystal paint cleaner. It is supposed to restore damaged paint and remove swirl marks. Could I use the paint cleaner if I have Zaino on my car? I only plan on using the cleaner on isolated areas if I see damage or swirl marks. I don`t plan on applying the paint cleaner to the entire car. Also what is the difference between the paint cleaner and Meguiars Scratch X? Do they do the same thing?

Gatorfan
06-27-2002, 07:03 AM
If you already have Z on your car the cleaner most likely will take it all or partly off. Then you`ll just have to reapply your Z. Paint cleaners are usually for fairly minor defects and are appropriate for use on the entire car. Scratch X is usually used in isolated areas. I haven`t had a great deal of luck with Scratch X, others have. I find SMR or FI-II with a PC to be much more effective. However, YMMV :nixweiss.

samiam513
06-27-2002, 07:51 AM
1 step of the zaino process can`t be subsittuted for a step of meguiars, ,or any other process.

Zaino bonds to the paint, then when you layer layer #2 through 100 bond to each other.

If you did sub aanother non-zaino product in there you would need to dawn wash again because Meguiars will leave some oil andother things behind.

jomonjoe
06-27-2002, 08:05 AM
so if I wanted to use Scratch X or SMR with Zaino on the car would that be ok?

Thanks for your help

ultrajim49
06-27-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by joe testani

Thanks for your help

Yes , that`s OK,

but,

after you NEED to dawn wash again and reaply Z

:xyxthumbs

jomonjoe
06-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the help.

KEVO
06-27-2002, 08:32 AM

Thanks for your help

If you use ANY kind of polish with abrasives or cleaners like SMR, Scratch X, etc, etc, those type products will strip whatever kind of durable wax or polish (Zaino in your case) down to bare paint and these types of abrasives are carried in an oil solution and the oils will remain on the surface after wiping off the abrasives. This is why you need to wash with Dawn to remove the oil as Zaino can only stick to bare paint and not to oil.

jomonjoe
06-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the great advice guys, but one last question (I promise). How about using Meguairs QD to keep in the trunk for stuff like bird droppings? I have Z6, but I only plan to use it after I wash the car or after I apply Z2/5 .

Again thanks for all your help, and I am sorry if I am asking stupid and/or annoying questions. I just don`t want to mess up my car.

ultrajim49
06-27-2002, 08:47 AM
Meg. QD should be safe to use as an in-between-maintenance,

prior to a new layer of Z , just wash with Z-wash and you`re set again,

but in between layers of Z , use the Z-QD.

:wavey

KEVO
06-27-2002, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the great advice guys, but one last question (I promise). How about using Meguairs QD to keep in the trunk for stuff like bird droppings? I have Z6, but I only plan to use it after I wash the car or after I apply Z2/5 .

Again thanks for all your help, and I am sorry if I am asking stupid and/or annoying questions. I just don`t want to mess up my car.

QD contains stuff that interfers with the bonding of the next coat of Zaino, if you use it on Zaino you will need to wash with Z-7 to remove the QD before your next coat of Zaino. I don`t see why you can`t carry the Z-6 in your car, I have some Z-6 right now outside in my daily driver.

ultrajim49
06-27-2002, 08:50 AM
KEVO,

great ain`t it?

Both answering the same thing at the same time,

guess it must be true then:xyxthumbs

Christiaan

jomonjoe
06-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by KEVO

QD contains stuff that interfers with the bonding of the next coat of Zaino, if you use it on Zaino you will need to wash with Z-7 to remove the QD before your next coat of Zaino. I don`t see why you can`t carry the Z-6 in your car, I have some Z-6 right now outside in my daily driver.

I don`t plan on applying the Meguairs QD in between coats of Zaino. I plan on washing my car with Z7 everytime, so that won`t be a problem either. Next time I place a order I will definately order two bottles of Z6 (one to keep in the trunk). I just wanted something to hold me over until then.

Thanks for your help.

KEVO
06-27-2002, 09:33 AM

I don`t plan on applying the Meguairs QD in between coats of Zaino. I plan on washing my car with Z7 everytime, so that won`t be a problem either. Next time I place a order I will definately order two bottles of Z6 (one to keep in the trunk). I just wanted something to hold me over until then.

Thanks for your help.

For something to carry in the trunk that is just about free, many of my customers mix up a cap full of Z-7 into 16 ounces of water and make a quick clean up spray.