PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on towels and application.

tequila2469
06-26-2002, 01:03 PM
I ordered a bunch of stuff from carcareonline and I detailed my car once. I dont really like the result since there are still a lot of swirl marks on her. Here`s a run down of what I got....

ph balanced shampoo

3M SMR

BlitzWax Grand1 carnuba wax

2 applicator pads

3 fannel towels

lexol leather shampoo and conditioner

P21S super absorbant cloth

glass cleaner

Wash mitt

Now I am worried that the super absorbant cloth leaves scratches on the car. It`s one of those towels that sucks up water and sticks to the car so you got to drag it to get all the water off. I got the 3 flannel towels to buff the car with and to apply the wax and SMR. Am I doing something wrong?

1. Should I pick up some terry towels and MF towels? If so, how many and what should each towel be used for?

2. Should I apply the SMR and wax by hand?

3. How should I wash the towels when I am done?

4. What is a good wheel cleaner for aluminum rims?

5. How many of each coat (SMR, wax) should I put onto my car?

6. I just detailed her two weeks ago with one coating of SMR and Wax each. Can I do it again this weekend?

7. Do I have to strip the wax if I want to detail her again soon? if so how?

Any advice is welcome for this newbie!

Thanks!

imported_Tony
06-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Check out the section under forums Detailing Articles & Tips. Then consider David`s E-Book Guide to Detailing. If you have a more specific question then please post.

imported_dl9589
06-26-2002, 01:14 PM
I can`t help you out with your questions on the products, as far as how many coats to put on, because I don`t use those products.

But I would start by getting yourself some MF towels, at least 10 to start out with. And get some 100% Terry Cloths, get rid of those Flannel towels, or use them for something inside the car, or other detailing not pertaining to the paint.

If you want to completely re-detail the car you are going to want to start fresh again, do this by giving the vehicle a Dawn wash (Dawn dishwashing detergant).

Hope this helps a little.:xyxthumbs

BradE
06-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Didn`t you ask this before? http://autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12262

Do a search, you will find answers to many of your questions.

KEVO
06-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Now I am worried that the super absorbant cloth leaves scratches on the car. It`s one of those towels that sucks up water and sticks to the car so you got to drag it to get all the water off.

It probably should not scratch if your car is clean and you do a good job of washing, I use the Absorber and have no troubles.

I got the 3 flannel towels to buff the car with and to apply the wax and SMR. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, if you use the same cloth to remove the 3M as the wax and keep using the same cloth, the cloth you removed the 3M with will now have abrasives in it from the 3M and will continue to scratch. I only use Fieldcrest Charisma towels on my stuff, never a scratch.

1. Should I pick up some terry towels and MF towels? If so, how many and what should each towel be used for?

I don`t use MF, but I know others do. I use 2 or 3 full size bath towels, Fieldcrest Charismas, cut them either in half or in quarters and re sew the edges with all cotton thread using a serger sewing machine (I own one and use it in my business fixing towels for my customers) after cutting off the hard edge.

2. Should I apply the SMR and wax by hand?

3M SMR rubbed in by hand will only have very limited results, you really need a buffer to break down the product correctly. You don`t really "apply" the 3M anyhow. Waxing is fine by hand.

3. How should I wash the towels when I am done?

ONLY liquid detergent, no powder, no softener, no bleach.

4. What is a good wheel cleaner for aluminum rims?

All I use is car wash and water, I have very high dollar custom billet wheels on all my stuff and will not use any kind of acid or similar wash, Simple Green diluted might be OK and I think P21S has a non acid base cleaner.

5. How many of each coat (SMR, wax) should I put onto my car?

Here again, you don`t put "coats" of SMR on, it is an abrasive compound made to do a job, not put coats of anything on. Put as much wax or non abrasive polish on as you like.

6. I just detailed her two weeks ago with one coating of SMR and Wax each. Can I do it again this weekend?

No need to do the SMR again, it is to remove scratches and swirls, the SMR will remove any and all wax or durable polish you put on the car. If it where me I would have washed off the oils from the SMR remover before I did the wax step.

7. Do I have to strip the wax if I want to detail her again soon? if so how?

Wash the car with Dawn or use the SMR, either will remove the wax.

Any advice is welcome for this newbie!

Thanks! [/B][/QUOTE]

imported_Intermezzo
06-26-2002, 01:38 PM
1. If you are referring to the terry towels sold OTC like at PepBoys or Target, I wouldn`t use them. I would use bath sized towels cut up into smaller sizes with the ends serged. Or better yet, get a bunch of high quality MF towels.

2. SMR can be applied by hand, but you won`t make much of a dent in a swirled up car. Better to use a DA polisher. I prefer using FI-2 by hand. You can apply wax by hand or machine.

3. MF towels have to be washed separate from anything else. You can either hand wash them or use the washing machine. Partially dry them in the dryer and hang them till fully dry. Don`t use any fabric softener on any of your detailing towels (cotton or MF).

4. EFHI or P21S Wheel cleaner

5. SMR should be applied again and again until you are happy with how the surface looks (i.e. free of swirls and other imperfections). If used by hand, do small sections at a time and do not move on to another section till your done with the first one. As for wax, you can layer as many coats as you want.

6. You can add another coat of wax..no problem. Re-do the SMR first if you feel the paint still has too many visible swirl marks. You might want to consider either using a machine polisher or a stronger polish if you are going to stick with hand-application.

7. Depends on what kind of detail session you had in mind. If you are going to use SMR again, that will take off your wax.

imported_Intermezzo
06-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by KEVO

If it where me I would have washed off the oils from the SMR remover before I did the wax step.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Kevin,

Just curious, why would you have to remove the polish oils when applying Blitz? With Zaino yes, but a regular oil/silicone based carnauba wax?

KEVO
06-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Kevin,

Just curious, why would you have to remove the polish oils when applying Blitz? With Zaino yes, but a regular oil/silicone based carnauba wax? [/B][/QUOTE]

It would be a toss up, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I am just used to applying my final coat of anything over bare paint. SMR is more of a compound than a polish, polish would be like Meguiars Deep Crystal, etc.