PDA

View Full Version : Why Old Cars Paints Are Better Than Modern 2 Stage Paint Systems??

Pages : [1] 2

aqua
07-12-2004, 03:54 AM
Hi

I have heard that old vintage cars (before 1970) have better quality and better shine, reflexion and depth that current ones.

I have been told old one stage systems included plumb in their formulas. The use of plumb in car paint was prohibited due to enviromental issues.

Is that true? If yes, ... is the shine superior on these cars?

I really appreciatte your opinion

Thanks

Beemerboy
07-12-2004, 09:26 AM
I`m not sure about plumb in the paint, but I love working on single stage paint. You can get most all the imperfections out of the finish. Also you can get the reflction to look wet. This is a pic of a trooper that I did.

kimwallace
07-12-2004, 09:37 AM
I don`t know about plumb either ... But, certain colors definitely looked better with single stage paint when properly polished and waxed.
Black seems blacker and deeper.
Red seems deeper and less hazy
Silvers and whites however seem to look better with todays BC/CC finish.
Just my opinion.

Don
07-12-2004, 11:12 AM
One of the things about single stage paints is that the paint layer is much thicker than modern BC/CC paints. This for one, allows much more cutting/buffing to be done on the finish. The `trade off` is that it requires more frequent attention than BC/CC or else oxidation will rapidly start to again take hold of the finish

aqua
07-13-2004, 12:58 AM
I fully agree with your appreciations about single stage paints.
Black and red are really awesome although black in my favorite.

I am trying to understand what chemical differences make those paints look better.

Maybe someone may know that. I know itīs a difficult issue.

kimwallace
07-13-2004, 07:39 AM
I don`t know if it is the chemical differences or the fact that there isn`t a clear on top to distort or haze the color.

Focusedonsound
07-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Im not trying to steal this tread but have a question relating to paint types!

My father has a 1963 Ford Falcon (Black) He had it repainted last year and said they used a single stage black that has the clear already in it? Does anyone know about this or what kind of paint it may be!

The car turned out absolutly beautiful! Although I constantly yell at him because the car would never get "Dirty" sitting in the garage 6 days a week and when ever he took it out he would wet a terry cloth towel and wipe it down ect. there was a bug he he would start rubbing and rubbing....

I bought him a bunch of MF towels and some Spray & Wash... much better...

Beemerboy
07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
I`ve never heard of clear coat mixed in the paint. You did the right thing thought with the MF and S&W that will help to cut down on the swrils

Poorboy
07-13-2004, 10:09 AM
ok I`ll try and make it simple ...until about 1967 paints contained LEAD , not plumb (unless that`s a UK work for it?) , lead was removed from all paints, car and house because of lead poisoning. Laquers had the best of the shines , and then came the acrylic enamels, enamels, imron, and synthetics. These paints could all be cut to get to the next layer of paint which would give off a great shine and also make detailer able to remove a lot of imperfections. Unfortunately like Don said, they were a lot more work to kep up.
Single stage paints are always in the constant state of oxidation, unless it`s kept in a room that has no sun light or humidity (museum). Yes the do make a single stage paint with clearcoat(urethane) in it, but you will still get color off during polishing. It`s very durable and give you the same option of buffing off a layer to remove imperfections, but it will also require more maintenece than a bc/cc.

Woob
07-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Old paints - Thicker more material. Obviously no CC at all. Cost, more of course cause of the more material.

New Paints - Thinner paint, therefore less cost. CC helps and somewhat gives a better feel for manufacturers. No need to spray more paint, just a sealing layer. Looks good, easy to maintain.

Old paint you just get to play more with. New paint I love for the metallics.

Poorboy
07-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Woob
Old paints - Thicker more material. Obviously no CC at all. Cost, more of course cause of the more material.

New Paints - Thinner paint, therefore less cost. CC helps and somewhat gives a better feel for manufacturers. No need to spray more paint, just a sealing layer. Looks good, easy to maintain.

Old paint you just get to play more with. New paint I love for the metallics.

:nono old paints (other than laquer) cheaper...one stage

new paints two stages ..more prep ..much more expensive

old paint had metallics too ...where do you think silver, gold, silver blue paints come from:dunno

wash_me
07-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Here nice one stage paint.

wash_me
07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
one more for kicks.

Woob
07-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
:nono old paints (other than laquer) cheaper...one stage

new paints two stages ..more prep ..much more expensive

old paint had metallics too ...where do you think silver, gold, silver blue paints come from:dunno

I am guessing Meguiars has there info wrong. Thats weird. Either way new paints are different.

Focusedonsound
07-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
Yes the do make a single stage paint with clearcoat(urethane) in it, but you will still get color off during polishing. It`s very durable and give you the same option of buffing off a layer to remove imperfections, but it will also require more maintenece than a bc/cc.

Yes thats it!!!(I remember him telling me that now!)

While we are on the topic of paints. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to this paint type?

Also Im probably goint to be helping him clean up some of the swirls/ maring that he has done what do you think would be the best atack plan for a 1 yr old paint job like this? Also there is one area where it seems they couldn`t get the orange peal out due to not being able to reach it with a rotary. How difficult will this be to rub out by hand? And what product should I start w/ ?

For a show car like this is it best to apply a sealent or will wax be sufficient?