PDA

View Full Version : California Car duster

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Blackmirror
06-25-2002, 09:46 PM
I read on a thread here a while back that someone(I think redcarguy)has had great success using it. Now I may have to get one too. Just want to know if the duster has to be maintained or cleaned once in a while.

imported_dl9589
06-25-2002, 09:48 PM
I have had mine going on 2 to 3 years and have yet to wash it, and it`s still working great.

shaf
06-26-2002, 01:04 AM
It`s carguy (close ;)) that did a product review on it. Calif. Car Duster - My most rigorous test ever (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10615) The trick to it is proper use. His thread basically covers all the advice for usage you could want.

I just got mine yesterday and I can`t wait for it to be done sitting on newspapers so I can use it! Best not to use it on a warm car by the way, since it probably melts the wax and increases chances of streaking.

Someone in that thread has washed his and it still works but apparently it`s good for many years of usage. Several people confirm that (true to the advertising) it actually does improve with age.

imported_jr_mints
06-26-2002, 01:44 AM
I`ve had my CCD for a couple years now, so longer than my current car. It looks as filthy as can be and works like a charm. Outside of giving it a good shaking after I`m done using it, I haven`t done a thing to it.

I grew up living 2 miles of gravel road (and when I say gravel, I should say powdered dirt) off of the main highway and got the Duster to give my car a fighting chance. And then my dad started to use it, and then my mom wanted her car done too. It may have taken a few more passes, but in the end, almost all the new dust would be removed if done withing a reasonable amount of time.

I would highly recommend it.

bigdipper
06-26-2002, 02:42 AM
I`m eagerly awaiting to get California Car Duster. I ordered it over two weeks ago with California Water Blade and a Wash Mit... But as always shipping from US to Finland is not the quickest around...

Just have to wait...

:bounce

SergC
06-26-2002, 08:02 AM
I have been using CCD for 9+ years.I have one for each of my cars. Never ever had eny problems at all, it is perfectly save, the only think you would have to follow is- NEVER use it with a pressure.My 1st one/9+years old works like new one/senior /,but i replace CCD every 1.5-2 years/just to make sure.../ The main think -it is desined for dusting not for taking heavy dirt or so. You will like CCD:)

imported_StyleTEG
06-26-2002, 09:36 AM
Like everyone said, if used properly it is safe and it won`t cause any swirls/scratches.

I have one, but rarely use it. I am always hesitant since my car normally gets dusty on the way to work, and it sits on the car all day until I get home eight hours later. Unless it is very recent, light dust, I just do a quick wash :)

new996
06-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by RemmoSi

I`ve had my CCD for a couple years now, so longer than my current car. It looks as filthy as can be and works like a charm. Outside of giving it a good shaking after I`m done using it, I haven`t done a thing to it.

I would highly recommend it.

I agree, I love mine! I`ve been using mine on a dark red Ford for the last 3 years with no problems. I keep it in the sleeve, shake it, and don`t wash it. It is darker now, but works great leaving no swirls or scratches...as long as the car doesn`t actually need to be washed.

:up

KEVO
06-26-2002, 11:10 AM
I have been using them for years (black car owner since 1987) but I buy a new one every year and retire the older one for use on my daily driver. I don`t buy the WalMart version however, it has a much smaller mop head that is not as effective as the non-retaill version with the wood handle. The wood handle one has a mop head twice the size of the plastic handle WalMart version.

CombatDog
06-26-2002, 04:57 PM
Great for cleaning of projection tv screens also!

Lou

DrewD
06-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Dumb question:

How does the CCD work? I`m assuming there is some static-like property it parafin wax (on the fibers), but how does it really suck up dust?

Also, what does laying it out on newspaper do?

I just bought one, and am curious :)

shaf
06-26-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by DrewD

Dumb question:

How does the CCD work? I`m assuming there is some static-like property it parafin wax (on the fibers), but how does it really suck up dust?

Also, what does laying it out on newspaper do?

I just bought one, and am curious :) I`m not exactly sure how it works, but spreading it out on newspaper soaks up the excess wax. The instructions even tell you to do this. Be sure to check and change it periodically because I found mine had soaked the wax right through to the table beneath! Strange isn`t it? I mean the thing seems dry to the touch....

NEW vs. OLD CCD

I just noticed the new plastic handle dusters differ more than just the handle. I bought an original wooden handle one a few days ago. Just today I went to Canadian Tire and saw their plastic handle ones. The first thing I noticed was that the strands or "ropes" that make up the mop head are a lot smaller and finer than the one I have. I`d actually be inclined to think this is therefore better (more nap right?) but I like the wood handle. :D

Post 200 woohoo! :)

volfan
06-26-2002, 08:16 PM
The one that is smaller and with the plastic handle and is the California Mini Duster. I bought one, b/c it says it`s great on dashes and home appliances. It doesn`t say it`s to be used on the exterior, but on the back directions it shows a pic of a guy dusting his motorcycle with it, so it is safe to use. I tried it on my paint, and it does work good, lot better than on the dash.

KEVO
06-26-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Envenomed

The one that is smaller and with the plastic handle and is the California Mini Duster. I bought one, b/c it says it`s great on dashes and home appliances. It doesn`t say it`s to be used on the exterior, but on the back directions it shows a pic of a guy dusting his motorcycle with it, so it is safe to use. I tried it on my paint, and it does work good, lot better than on the dash.

Well, kinda. There is a mini dash duster with a plastic handle but that is not what we are talking about. I have the master California Car Duster Catalog as I was thinking about working for the company, they make two full size dusters, one with a wood handle and larger mop head, these sell for 16.95 to 19.95, then they make a full size duster with a plastic handle and a mop head with thinner strands that are half as long as the wood handle version, this WalMart/KMart version sells in stores for 7.99 to 9.99. I called the company and asked why they make two versions, the lady said that WalMart considered their customers to be non car enthusiast types but they wanted to sell the dusters but thought they could not sell a 19.99 duster to the average Joe.

shaf
06-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by KEVO

Well, kinda. There is a mini dash duster with a plastic handle but that is not what we are talking about. I have the master California Car Duster Catalog as I was thinking about working for the company, they make two full size dusters, one with a wood handle and larger mop head, these sell for 16.95 to 19.95, then they make a full size duster with a plastic handle and a mop head with thinner strands that are half as long as the wood handle version, this WalMart/KMart version sells in stores for 7.99 to 9.99. I called the company and asked why they make two versions, the lady said that WalMart considered their customers to be non car enthusiast types but they wanted to sell the dusters but thought they could not sell a 19.99 duster to the average Joe. Wow, thanks KEVO. That explains a lot! Like why Lordco in Vancouver wants like $38 regular for the wooden CCD while Canadian Tire sells their plastic handle one for only $24(?) regular. I`ll have to take another look at the strands of the CT duster to see if they`re shorter, but I bet they are (and therefore a ripoff at that price!). The original wooden one is on SALE right now at Lordco for only $20 - I didn`t even know I got a great deal! :xyxthumbs