PDA

View Full Version : black car finish

toy4r
06-25-2002, 09:34 PM
hello,

This is my first post. Want to say i have watched with enthusiasm about the advice given.

What i want to ask I know has been asked many times over but wont sleep til do. My wife and i own 2 black cars(200 and 2001).

Have had them maintained at a local shop. My concern is the first time i went I was told they used 3m products, then a carnuba,then meguiars, then some product I have yet to see mentioned here When her car was buffed and polished.The carnuba lasted the best. needless to say have not been happy lately. Both cars have some washing swirls( i do use cotton mit now) but once wax wears off they are more visible. Since these trips to shop can get a little pricey I was wondering if I should be afraid to attempt this on my own. I would invest in a porter cable along with a good somewhat easy product(s). the cost of 2 wash and waxs may add up to the cost of these supplies? Im not looking for show car just a good looking one.

Thanks

imported_BretFraz
06-25-2002, 10:12 PM
Hi, and welcome to Autopia.

I think anyone with a few good tools like a PC, some well chosen products, and the desire to make their cars look good can get excellent results. The satisfaction you get when you make your car look great is worth all the time and effort, believe me.

For starters I highly recommend buying the e-book, Autopia`s Guide To Detailing. I`m sure you`ve seen it mentioned. There`s a brand new edition that just hit a few days ago. The e-book will not only introduce you to detailing but will help you develop a strategy that you can apply to your particular needs. You can find it at www.autopia-carcare.com .

If you had a PC, a few pads, a good one-step product like Klasse All In One (AIO) and some other easy to use products and tools, you can make your car look as good as the pros do. You are lucky in that you have nearly new cars that have been well maintained. That will be a big help as you start out. Lots easier to redecorate the bathroom than it is tearing out the sucker and rebuilding it from scratch, if ya know what I mean.

Have a look at the e-book, give this some thought, and let us know if you have questions.

thevolvoguy
06-25-2002, 10:23 PM
Toy,

First, I would like to say welcome! You will find great advice here, and everyone is very helpful and friendly.

As for your car, I think a good place to start in removing the swirls would be a 3M SMR. Would you be using a buffer, or applying it by hand? I found the 3M products to break down and work a lot better when applied by machine. Another great product, but less permanet is Meguiars #9 2.0 SMR. #9 contains more fillers and can wear out over time.

The key to keeping the swirls away are your washing and drying techniques. I reccomend you take a look at the new Autopia guide to detailing. It is great for newbies and will really help you advance in your detailing knowledge. I will get you started on what I would normally do when washing my black car...

1) Wash car with a mild water based soap to preserve wax/sealants already on the car. Always use either 100% cotton, natural wool mit, or a soft sea sponge.

2) Dry car using a clean and dry MicroFiber, 100% cotton, or synthetic towel. Make sure they are lint and dirt free.

3) I always like to get the car on the highway after this to get water out of the crevaces, or use an air compressor if you have it. Dry these spots.

4) Use a QD (Quick Detailer) to preserve shine, and enhance gloss.

5) Dress tires, clean wheels

6) Clean glass (I like stoners, 20/20, or similar)

Remember, this is only what I do for a simple wash. I take different steps if I plan on polishing and waxing.

Good Site, Great Product- www.zainobros.com

Good Luck, and again WELCOME! :wavey