PDA

View Full Version : How to use PC in small/tight areas?

DrewD
06-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Well, I bought a PC and all the related accessories, but now I`m wondering exactly how to use it. I watched DavidB`s video, but it didn`t answer my question:

How do you use a PC on roof pillars, side-view mirror housings, around trim pieces, etc?

I guess I expect the answer to be "you don`t, you apply products by hand in these areas." I just want to be sure before I begin.

On a related note, how do you approach "ridge lines" on the hood? Do you just go over them like they aren`t there, or do you work up to them from each side? How careful should I be near edges/ridges/etc.

Thanks!

Preachers Sheets
06-25-2002, 03:27 PM
If you really want to use the PC on areas such as pillars all you need to do is use masking tape and safe gaurd the surronding area. If the area is not too bad it`s better off to do it by hand (saves time) but if the area is really bad and you need to use the PC then break out the tape.

Don`t know what you mean by the ridge lines.

paco
06-25-2002, 03:50 PM
I believe he is talking about the contour lines on a hood. That`s an interesting point as the paint does tend to be thinnest on the contour lines rather flat panels.

I`m curious as to what kind of a response people will give.

Hopefull carguy will enlighten us a bit :bow (man that was awesome post recently about the SMR / Black Car.

Paul

boywonder
06-25-2002, 03:51 PM
In a nutshell, I would just do them by hand. Considering that the paint might be thinner or the surface you are trying to PC may be delicate, you just don`t want to take a chance. Just my .02.

DrewD
06-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Yes, by "ridge lines" I did mean body lines, contour lines, etc. So In a nutshell, if the area is smaller than 6" (i.e. the PC pad width), you do it by hand?

imported_Tony
06-26-2002, 01:24 PM
I like your question because it relates to a problem I have. The answers may vary depending on the product you are using with the PC. There are some products that just do not work well by hand. Well lets hope we get some more responses.

imported_Intel486
06-26-2002, 08:53 PM
I use a DeWalt orbital, like the PC but yellow :D ) and for all the tight areas I come back by hand with a foam pad. I`ve gotton good at keeping it off trim so I don`t tape trim unless I`ll be doing some more serious polishing with my rotary. If it is too tight, then i don`t use the DeWalt. Better safe than sorry, expecially when it isn`t your vehicle.