PDA

View Full Version : New car choices

Pages : [1] 2

ben54
07-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Looking to buy the Mercedes Benz C230 sports sedan or the BMW 325i. The cars seem to be equal in performance with a slight edge to the BMW. The interiors are also pretty equal with the slight edge to the MB.

All things being equal, it looks like it may come down to which one has the best paint? Heard MB has some sort of new paint process. I will be getting black, if that makes a difference.

Any other thoughts on my choices would also be greatly appreciated. I have not driven the C230 yet as the dealer does not even have a one to drive, but hopefully one will come in soon.

jeff2417
07-12-2004, 01:38 AM
I`d go with the BMW. More oomph, less fluff.

IMO,
Jeff.

6cyl's_of_fury
07-12-2004, 02:42 AM
If it has that ceramiclear coat, then the Benz would probably be a better choice "paint-wise".
But in that market, Id be seriously looking at the Lexus or Audi offerings - just some food for thought....

roadman
07-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Look at the Acura TL, better performance, larger interior and a far better value

Beemerboy
07-12-2004, 09:45 AM
BMW all the way but then I`m a nut for them

shotime
07-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Repost! http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5309

ben54
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks all for the comments. Looks like the preference is the BMW. As for other choices besides BMW or Mercedes Benz, I`ve owned only American and Japanese vehicles so I thought I`d try German this time. I currently own an IS300 and it`s as reliable as a rock, but sometimes it gets a little boring to drive. As for Audi, it does make nice cars, but not too impressed with the dealer in my area.

1999NCSU
07-12-2004, 02:51 PM
I am another for the bimmer!

Dr Groove
07-12-2004, 06:57 PM
I`d go for a Studebaker! :lmfao

Oooops, they don`t make them any longer. Ok then, go Acura TL or Infiniti G35. Both are winners.

ben54
07-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dr Groove
I`d go for a Studebaker! :lmfao

Oooops, they don`t make them any longer. Ok then, go Acura TL or Infiniti G35. Both are winners.

Actually, I`m coming out of a G35. Had some dealer issues and so got rid of the car. Nice car, but I never connected with the car (or it with me). It was fast for sure, but it still needs to be refined (IMO).

Dr Groove
07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Ben, what did you have? Coupe or sedan?

I currently have a TL-S which I like but I`m thinking of a G35 coupe in 2 yrs. I want a little more performance than luxury.

ben54
07-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I had the 4 door sedan, which is essentially the coupe but with a different body. The springs on the sedan are different, and the 6 speed didn`t have the Brembos up front, but the parts are interchange (under the skin) if I`m not mistaken. In fact, I believe the sedan is quicker in the quarter mile because it weighs less. When I asked the salesperson how that could be, he said because the B pillar is farther back on the coupe, the roof has more bracing to resist twisting.

The 6 speed is extremely notchy and requires a high effort to get the shifter into the proper gates. I`ve miss shifted the car many times trying to get it into 3rd because it hangs up in the gate. I wouldn`t recommend the auto if you want a sporty feel. The auto was kinda lackluster in performance unless you floor it, literally. If you do, you`ll pass practically anything on the road. However, I didn`t feel much in control of the car during hard acceleration as the rear end of the car is kinda unpredictable around turns. The car also wasn`t as much fun to drive as I thought it would be.

My criticism is in part due to my poor dealer experience I`m sure, but I could never get comfortable with the car. So why did I buy it? On paper, the G35 beat practically everything and all of the car mags. loved the G35. So I went with my head. This time, I`m going with my heart. I think that if the G35 coupe appeals to your heart, buy it. If you think it`s the right choice and you believe that you will grow to love it, you may end up like me, wondering whether you made the right choice.

toddolie
07-13-2004, 09:06 AM
I have to agree with Roadman and suggest that you take a serious hard look at the new Acura TL. I am mere moments away from breaking out my wallet to own one of these incredible machines.

The technical innovations and the engineering, performance and reliability are worth a looksie. You can learn more about it at their website, http://www.acura.com/index.asp?bhcp=1, or I would encourage a spirited test drive. If you own a Bluetooth wireless phone, you can have the car recognize the incoming call and receive it throught the sound system in the car. This is a nice feature, especially if you travel a lot and do a lot of phone business like I do. Aan who can argue with 270HP, an available 6 speed option that automotically gives you the free upgrade to Brembos, and there`s also an A-Spec dealer tuner version available as well.

Ok, so I`ve talked myself into one, the wife will be another story...

ben54
07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
toddolie, I hear you. I own a Honda now and feel that Honda makes some outstanding vehicles. However, I do prefer rear wheel drive. I inherited the Honda, after I sold my Mustang, which I miss. Thanks for the advice, and I may just take a stroll down to the Acura dealer to take a look at the TL. Maybe . . . ?

groebuck
07-13-2004, 04:14 PM
I`ve had issues with Acura customer service both from dealer and corporate - while the new TL is nice it would stop me from buying another acura (yes it was that bad!).

my 03 TL-S experience has been a nightmare and I am counting the days until August 2006 when my lease is up.