PDA

View Full Version : Pre Road Trip Preparations

imported_jr_mints
06-25-2002, 02:44 AM
I`m planning on heading to California next week (from Colorado). I found the old post about protecting the front of the car, and I previously aquired a mask from Honda when a dealership screwed up so I have that part covered.

Space will be limited so I can`t fill my trunk with detailing supplies, so I was wondering what minimums should be taken with me: QD, a couple towels...? I have a California Duster as long as I don`t hit rain or a lot else, but I don`t think the chances of making it that long staying clean on the road are really good. I will be camping, so I don`t know about access to plentiful water either.

Also, any suggestions to do with my car before I leave? It has blackfire on it right now. Would anything else be better with unknown road and weather ahead?

edit: Assuming the car will get wet and dirty, would it be better to take the mask off of it and risk chips or deal with scratches and swirls from it being left on when dirty?

imported_WS6Seth
06-25-2002, 10:27 AM
If you want to take some supplies with you but space is an issue go to Wal-Mart. In the isle by the small travel toothpaste and such they have small bottles 1 and 2oz. They have both spary and pour bottles. I end up taking qd, car wash, tire dressing, glass cleaner, and usually a few mf towels. All this will fit in a 1 gallon zip lock baggie for easy storage.

I am a firm believer in using a bra for road trips. I make sure to have a good layer of wax under the bra for the trip. Dirt trapped under it is not a concern for me since my hood closes on the bra from the bumper so nothing can get behind it. I don`t have to worry about the hood part since pontiac did not produce a part for the hood, but on previous vehicles I always just took the bra off when it became wet and didn`t put it back on untill it was dry. I would qd the area and put the bra back on. I always gave them a good shake before reinstalling but the thick cotton backing has always protected my paint and I have never incurred any damages. Hope this helps you!

ClayBartrug
06-25-2002, 11:34 AM
In the absence of a bra, i`ve heard that plexus is great on plastic bumpers, etc, for keeping bugs and such off... Something to try PRIOR to your trip maybe.