PDA

View Full Version : carnauba content of popular waxes

drewski59
06-25-2002, 12:04 AM
Well, I sent Pinnacle an email 3 days ago, but they never replied.

So, I thought somebody here might know...

What is the carnauba content of the following pinnacle waxes?(ex. Zymol Carbon is 37% carnauba)

1. TOL Trade Secret

2. Paste Glaz

3. Souveran

Does anybody know?? Just curious as Zymol states the specific amount and I have nothing for Pinnacle to compare it to( all they say is that it`s "packed" with Ivory Carnauba:rolleyes: )

Thanks!

:wavey

pingiii
06-25-2002, 01:39 AM
From what I have read, the average amount of carnauba in a good quality wax is 30 to 35%. Any more and it would be just too hard to get it out of the can. It would take too much solvent to soften it up to make it workable. Besides, I really don`t think that anyone will give you their trade secret information, or formula information. I`m sure you understand.

I asked Terry Friberg at CMA that very same question a couple of years ago, and although he never did get specific on how much carnauba was in Souveran, he did give me a lot of great information on his product.

There are different grades of carnauba that are used in the formulas. and different qualities of carnauba. For example, No. 1 yellow in some waxes, and some folks use No. 2. Souveran takes a No. 1 yellow and re-refines it to make it a No. 1 white. The best in the business.

Terry also went to great pains to explain a great wax is a lot more than just carnauba. It`s the polymers in it that give a deep shine or a reflective shine. It has hazers in in that let you know that the product is ready to buff off. And polymers that make your shine last. Solvents or a carrying agent to help you spread it, and drying agents to do just that.

As he said, it`s all a tradeoff, too much of one thing, compromises your shine in another area. So you see, it`s the blending of the ingredients, not just the carnauba content. It`s also the quality of the ingredients that make the product what it is.

He also told me that he spent 6 months helping to tweak the P21S formula to stop it from streaking. Again, it`s more than just the wax content.

After a period of time, and trying different waxes. I agree with Terry, It is the blend and quality that make a wax what it is. And it`s the eye of the beholder that decides what he`s looking for in a good wax. And I hope he never stops trying to improve his product.

Ask the folks who make the wax. They may not give you the formula information, but the good ones like Terry at CMA, will help you to understand their product. Enjoy!

ALAN81
06-25-2002, 05:05 AM
BILL GREAT POST............................after going through this a few months back Bill is exactly right when I called ZYMOL (I have a old unopened can of falcon 200 mph) I was told the same thing

drewski59
06-25-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info!:xyxthumbs

I wasn`t really looking for the formula, just the amount of carnauba( because if Souveran and Trade Secret are similar in design, then I would jump on Trade Secret, as it`s a lot cheaper;) )

Thanks again!

ALAN81
06-25-2002, 03:00 PM
Don`t you dare compare anything to SOUVERN it`s in a league of it`s own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

MikeLS
06-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Actually, I believe the true content of most carnauba waxes is less than 10% by volume. About 90% of ANY carnauba is purely solvents, silicones, and oils. If a "wax" contained 30% or more true carnauba, you would never get it out of the bottle or can. Usually, those companies that tout their wax as being "50% carnauba" or whatever are trying to fool you with clever marketing. Read a few MSDS sheets and you`ll see....

forrest@mothers
06-25-2002, 10:29 PM
The percentage of carnauba in a wax is a meaningless number as a way to compare 2 different products.

All products have a saturation point - the point at which adding more carnauba does not make it shine more, last any longer, etc. The saturation point varies by product depending on the ingredients in the formulation, and the blending procedure.

If the saturation point of product "A" is 17.5%, adding any carnauba above that point is simply a waste of carnauba.

A wax containing 17.5% can last longer than one containing 27.5% - it depends on the formulation - other ingredients, etc.

Please don`t be fooled by the mine has more/is bigger. etc. It`s meaningless locker room talk.

drewski59
06-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Thanks forrest.:wavey

By the way, I have yet to see YOUR PT Cruiser...lol:D

imported_edschwab1
06-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Go and check the newsstand because either Hot Rod or Car Craft has an article on the PT Cruiser. That is one really nice ride.

Eric

forrest@mothers
06-26-2002, 07:55 AM
drewski - I have 2 - an inferno red with 18" billets and some body pieces made by DaimlerChrysler`s prototype builders, and the p6 - a v6 powered Cruiser with a panel conversion done by the same folks and flames.

You can see the p6 in July`s Truckin` magazine.

You can also see both on our website (http://www.mothers.com ) and then click on the "Cool Cars" section.

imported_Intel486
06-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Isn`t the carnauba there mainly because of its durability? I think beeswax and parafin provide a better shine that carnauba but their durability isn`t as good. Is this true?

drewski59
06-26-2002, 09:46 PM
Wow Forrest!:xyxthumbs

Those PT`s are awesome! Mine`s all stock except for the Filtercharger. Been looking to upgrade the wheels, though:D .

Lookin good, man, lookin good!