PDA

View Full Version : Frying in the sun...

imported_04yfz
06-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey all, I am really cincerned about my car bakingin the sun here in new jersey...i leave it park in the lot for about eight hours a day...i bought two magic sunshades from autozone which i put on the side and rear windows, plus one of those reflective sunshades for the front window. Would a car cover be better? or am i doomed to suffer from sun damage?

Any suggestions...anyone...help...please....

Thanks!

allen aikens jr.
06-25-2002, 12:24 AM
NizanDrvn,

Just out of curiosity. Do you have the windows tinted? The tint helps block out the UV rays and keeps the temp down some in the car.

A car cover would definitely be better. The only downfall to that is if it`s an every day driver, you have to put the cover on and off every day and make sure the car`s clean when you put it on so that you don`t run the risk of scratching the paint. If you love your car (which I`m sure you do) and have the time to do all that, then by all means go for the cover.

Just my .02 worth

boarderx
06-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Are you worried about the interior or exterior? A good wax will help protect the paint. Protect the trim with a product that contains UV protection (303, Vinylex, etc). Protect the dashboard and interior trim/paneling with the same type of product. I`m not sure how to protect the fabric.

Have you ever thought about adding tint to the windows? The tint will block 99% of the UV rays that deteriorate the interior. If you`re worried about the appearance of dark tint, there are light tints. Something like a 70% tint is very light, you can see through it very easily and it will offer you the protection you desire. It also helps with keeping the temperature of the interior down.

imported_memnuts
06-25-2002, 10:22 AM
There really is not much you can do other than the suggestions above. I would not use a car cover because of the paint damage that would occur with frequent placement and removal. If there is a shady area park there or find a spot where the sun only beams down part of the day.

You might consider a polymer sealant protectant for the paint which would give a great deal more UV protection than a carnuaba. Fortunately, you live in an area where intense sunlight only occurs about 3 months out of the year. Just make sure that you use some type of UV protectant on the dash, leather seats and all exposed rubber-like moldings. Here in the south we almost always have some sort of legal window tinting in order to decrease the penetrating UV rays and interior heat build-up.

:wavey

DETAILKING
06-25-2002, 11:18 AM
use a quality sealant with UV protection and interor dressings with UV protection too.

I use zaino on the exterior.....and 303 or zaino Z10 on the interior............

imported_04yfz
06-25-2002, 11:46 AM
The car is grey with a black leather interior, i have the windows tinted and i have noticed that they do indeed do a great job of keeping heat out of the car, but i don`t know if the tints i use block out UV, although i`m sure they block some out...the tints are 35%, the legal limit in nyc..

I have a spot that the sun doesn`t hit the car until about 3pm...I`m more concerned about the interior of the car. i try to wash an wax as often as i can...

as mentioned the car cover would probable be out of the question since its a daily driver....

regards

Preachers Sheets
06-25-2002, 11:52 AM
I use a car cover and I don`t get any swirling from putting it on or taking it off. If you really want to be sure you don`t swirl your car up when using the cover the car must be cleaned before you put the cover on. I wash my car before I put the cover on every time. Aside from that your going to need to wash the cover itself once every three months.

It`s alot of work but I don`t use my car 5 days a week and there is no way I am leaving it in the sun, rain dust to rot after all the time I spend on detailing.

boarderx
06-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by DETAILKING

use a quality sealant with UV protection and interor dressings with UV protection too.

I use zaino on the exterior.....and 303 or zaino Z10 on the interior............

Do you know of a product with UV protection that can be used on cloth seats? I wouldn`t think 303 should be sprayed on fabric.

imported_memnuts
06-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by bgruver

Do you know of a product with UV protection that can be used on cloth seats? I wouldn`t think 303 should be sprayed on fabric.

bgruver,

303 makes a fabric protectant that I believe adds UV protection for interior fabrics. Check CMA (www.propercarcare.com).

spotter
06-25-2002, 12:43 PM
303 High Tech Fabric Guard does guard against UV damage according to their website at www.303products.com and protects against spills and stains just as well or better than Scotchguard. Great stuff.

imported_Tony
06-25-2002, 12:57 PM
When you park the car and before you turn the ignition off set your climate control to vent.

boarderx
06-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

bgruver,

303 makes a fabric protectant that I believe adds UV protection for interior fabrics. Check CMA (www.propercarcare.com).

Oh wow, thanks! I didn`t know they made a fabric product! :D :wavey

DaGonz
06-25-2002, 03:11 PM
You can also drape towels over the seats to help protect them. Large bath towels work fine for this. Our administrative assistant at Fire Headquarters (the lovely Heather) does this with her 2001 Mitusbishi Eclipse Spyder (red with a black interior)..in the summer, the top is down just about 24/7 unless there is rain and or thunderstorms predicted. It definitely keeps her seats cooler and protects them from fading.

Boongie
06-26-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by DETAILKING

I understand that Z2 is safe for urethane bumpers and smooth plastic trim. What would you use on textured exterior plastic...303 perhaps? Does anybody know if Zaino and 303 are safe to use next to each other?

imported_memnuts
06-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Boongie

I understand that Z2 is safe for urethane bumpers and smooth plastic trim. What would you use on textured exterior plastic...303 perhaps? Does anybody know if Zaino and 303 are safe to use next to each other?

I use 303 Aerospace protectant along side the Zaino. I am careful to only apply either product on the intended surface. All my textured trim and exposed rubber seals are protected by 303. Very nice natural sheen. Be careful on a daily driver. It has been stated in the past on this forum that 303, like many protectants, tends to run if exposed to rain. Buff well and this should not be a problem.

Z2/Z5 are great for urethane bumpers. Here is a picture:xyxthumbs